Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anwarmcqueen

Could this bed work for a single guy?

Anwar
5 years ago

Beautiful old antique iron and brass bed. I dig it, but I wonder if it screams "feminine." I'm a single guy.....should I be looking at something else instead?

Comments (87)

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

What is on the wall facing the bed? Could you flip it so the bed is not in front of the doorway? or is there a closet there?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Some inspiration that will work with the bedding you've chosen:

Staging || Benton Way · More Info

• ishop19
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That IS a very narrow room! Can you put the bed with the head between the windows or does it stick out too much that way? (You would have to raise the picture above the head board.)

You may or may not want blackout curtains, depends on how much you want to block the light! But they are hard to find in stores. These are good ones on amazon (below) that are about $20 and come with 2 panels. You need 2 panels per window. It looks like you have some color options based on your bedding. You might add some coordinating throw pillows on the bed to match whatever color you choose. They come in different sizes. Make sure the listed width is at least 2x your actual measured width for proper fullness when closed. Since your windows are tall and narrow you might extend the rod so the curtains hang on each side of the window when open so they don’t block any of the window and in that case double that measurement instead of the window measurement.

You can do the length of the window or to the floor. Now that your bed is away from the wall, you could do to the floor.

Another option if a 2 panel set seems too much for the room for each window is to use one panel per window and when they are open, for the left window, push it open to the left and for the right window push it open to the right. You would still need a single panel to be wide enough for 2x fullness.

Here are some color options in a highly rated blackout brand:

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Another vote for *matte* black!

• ishop19
    5 years ago

Anwar

I added comments to my post above with the amazon curtains.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, ishop. As it happens, I purchased that brand of curtain just a few days ago for a different room! They're really nice for the price.

Bed has to stay where it is. I'm either gonna go Roman shade or two panels per window.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

If the bed must stay where it is, check garage sales, etc. for two very narrow end tables that fit. Having the bed away from the wall will help with making the bed easily and give you a space for two lamps.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I want to add a chair to this bedroom. It would be for reading/relaxing and sometimes for working (typing on laptop). One has an ottoman; the other doesn't. Does one look like a better choice? Not sure how to decide........thanks!

• ishop19
    5 years ago

They are both great options. I think the ottoman one is fabulous. Looks comfortable, The color is good for your bedding. The ottoman is good for relaxing. BUT...will this larger one (because of the ottoman) fit in your room? The other one might fit better logistically without overwhelming your room. Where will you put it? I pictured it angled in the corner but your dresser is there. Have you sat in each one yet? That maybe a determining factor but they both look supportive and in great condition.

Will you be looking for a floor lamp or side table with lamp? Factor that into sizing.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, ishop. I haven't sat in either one. Both are being sold on Facebook Marketplace secondhand. If I do the ottoman one, I might have to keep the ottoman tucked away next to the chair and drag it around when I'm using it. The chair will either go between bed and dresser or I'll have to move the dresser to put the chair in the corner.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

The one with the ottoman is a great color! If you choose that one and they don't fit as a set, you may be able to put the ottoman in front of your bed. It is also a great color to add a pillow with a punch of color.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m leaning toward the one with the ottoman. The ottoman-at-foot-of-bed idea is intriguing.
  • Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hmm
  • ishop19
    5 years ago

The dresser is bigger than i thought! Kind of blocks your walkway?

1. Try the dresser between the windows..

Or 2. Try the chair between the windows at the end of the bed with the dresser back where it was originally.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Dresser where it was. Chair with ottoman or footstool at the end of the bed, looking away from the bed. Like this:

Vistas at Highland Ridge - Single-Family Homes in Telford, PA · More Info

• missenigma
    5 years ago

What about the dresser where the chair is. The the chair along the wall where the dresser is.

Good choice on the Wing Back chair, it goes better with the rest of your selections.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’ll try that, Lindsey. The door in the corner makes everything much harder than it would be otherwise. I’d plaster over it, but I’m renting the joint.
  • Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    OK. What if I put the dresser in front of the door (which I don’t need to use), like so, and get a mirror to put on top of the dresser so it’s not so obvious that it’s a door? I get that it looks silly having the door blocked, but this is the only arrangement where the furniture isn’t sticking out awkwardly into the room. Thoughts?
  • Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Like so:
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I think I'd rather see the chair and dresser swapped with the chair slightly in front of the door and pulled out into the room a bit so the back right corner of the chair is approximately on the same imaginary line as the front of the dresser. If there is room of course.

The dresser is so much taller, if the chair is pulled forward more it won't be so dwarfed.

But really, it looks like you're well on your way to creating a cozy room. If this is as good as it gets, you've done incredibly well. It's understandable that sacrifices are made when we are in cramped quarters.

Incidentally, what it behind that door? Is it by any chance storage space that could hold your dresser?

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful input. The door leads to the other bedroom in the apartment.....my daughter’s room. Both bedrooms are accessible via other doors, and there’s no need for a door between the two bedrooms. I worry that blocking a door, even an unnecessary one, just doesn’t look right.
  • ishop19
    5 years ago

Hmmmm

You come in through the bathroom?

You sure you don’t need another throughway?

what matters is if feels better to you that way. But what about switching the chair and the dresser. The chair in front of the door may seem less like a barricade!! Unless you want it by the window.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    .....I think this is best. The ottoman is between the chair and dresser; I can slide it out when I’m using it. Thank you!!!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Lol my fingers are tingling to get in there.

If you scoot the chair to the other side or even the middle and angle it the other direction, you'll have a view out your windows.

• Laura Grosmaire
    5 years ago

I actually liked your dresser where it was originally, lol. Put a small table with a lamp next to the chair (in front of outlet) and you've got your cozy corner. Put something on top of the dresser to soften the top a little, not so stark. Hang something between door and dresser if it feels empty. Everything else looks forced to me.

• ishop19
    5 years ago

Anwar, that looks great! Maybe try what lindsey (still misses sophie) said, to angle it toward the window. or it can be moved a little bit sometimes when you are hanging out and want to face the window.

When do you get your shades?

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi again.

Making good progress here. Question: should I replace this lamp with a swing-arm sconce? It’s a small room, and the nightstand is small, so I’m thinking a sconce would open up some nightstand real estate.

(I’m also gonna hang a few gold framed items above the bed.)
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

What if you cover the wall with the door with curtains? You could get an interesting pattern in there, like a wallpaper accent wall but with curtains. Then do neutral blinds on the actual windows.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s how it looks with a swing-arm sconce; lamp pic shown for comparison. Which is better?
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

Wall sconce is nice, but too high. You want the light just above shoulder height when reading.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! Agree about the height.......I just leaned it against the wall so I could take a photo. Haven't installed it.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

You have done a wonderful job!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Anwar, that looks really nice. I like the swing arm I think. maybe lay a few books on the nightstand. (pssst,,,spray those knobs in the same brass!)

any other art you could use? maybe some black and white photos you could frame? the one on the left is too small. add another one beneath it, or get a larger print.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Beth! I'm leaning toward the swing arm too. I just got that nightstand yesterday, and either painting or replacing those knobs is *definitely* on the list!

I'll think about the art on the left. And I also have 3 small pieces w/ gold frames that I'm going to hang above the headboard: an oval in the middle flanked by 2 small rectangles.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Try two swing arm lamps for better balance. Have you considered floating bedside shelves with drawers on either side of the bed?

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sconce @ proper(ish) height:

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, @decoenthusiaste. Those sconces look kinda high, no? How would you turn them on and off? Nice look overall, though. Any suggestions on how I can get that view out my window? ;)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I might be tempted to paint that nightstand a nice navy. Don't really care for the brown.

darker than this one, below, but showing you the chalk paint. quick and easy. Get a sample pot of Annie Sloan Neapolianic. the small pot will cover the stand.

knobs? something w/a bit of red/blue (etsy or try Hobby Lobby)

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@beth - Thanks! The nightstand was free and isn't great quality. It's a temp until I can get my hands on something better. Would I have to sand it or prime it or whatever, or can you just slap chalk paint right on? Never done a project like that before.

• eelh
    5 years ago

following

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

oh great. then it's perfect for this paint. Super easy. I like to give mine a quick cleaning and fine sanding. run your hand over it after a quick sand with 220 grit. any bumps or rough spots? if no, wipe it down well. chalk paint is super easy. no priming. feel free to add a little water if the paint feels too thick. give it one coat, let dry. find sand with 220 just to take down the roughness of the paint. 2nd coat (you'll want to add a bit of water to the paint on the 2nd coat). let dry, fine sand again until smooth.

buff with clear wax like you would a car. apply a very light coat of wax, let it dry a bit and buff w/cotton rag until it shines. done. you could also leave it as is (but the wax will really bring out the color) coat w/tung oil, beeswax or even a poly. https://www.anniesloan.com/techniques

(you don't need her wax. too much. just get the clear Briwax or Citrus wax from home depot or lowes)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Sconces don't have to be that high; those are corded, rather than hard wired in, and there is probably a switch lower on the cord that can be reached.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Hi, I'm happy to have found this thread again :)

Your room looks great, so cozy! Love the bedding you chose.

I like the swing arm lamps, lowered like others said. Are you set on that particular style? They look good, but I think something like what decoenthusiaste showed with fabric shades would soften things up a bit. They could be brass or black finish.

Are you planning to paint the nightstand for sure? Would look nice!

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks @lindsey! I'll look into fabric shades for the sconces. They came with glass shades. Definitely keeping these sconces because they're plug-in (which I need) and the price was right.

Not sure about painting. I'm not much of a DIY guy and it's totally out of my comfort zone. Plus there's a lot of snow on the ground, and I think it'd have to be an outside job. Maybe. I'll at least paint the knobs (or replace them).

• ishop19
    5 years ago

I think we’d all be impressed to know how much you’ve spent so far, Anwar, if you wouldn’t mind sharing?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

found you again... following for an other updates :)

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hadn’t done the math, but all in it’s a little under $800. That’s actually more than I thought. Almost half of that is eaten up by the mattress and box spring, though; all the “visible” elements come to under $500.

Bed frame: $31 (estate sale)

Mattress: $270 (Amazon)

Box spring: $72 (Amazon)

Sconces: $15 (Facebook marketplace)

Chair and ottoman: $100 (FB)

Dresser: $52 (estate sale)

Nightstand: free (FB)

Duvet cover/2 pillowcases/2 euro shams/red lumbar pillow/navy blanket: $113 (Garnet Hill; Pottery Barn; HomeGoods)

Mirror and assorted frames/artwork: approx. $50 (there’s more than what you see in the pics in this thread; estate sales and a great consignment/junk shop)

Roman shades: $87 (Home Depot)

Total: $790

• ishop19
    5 years ago

Gosh it adds up doesn’t it? Even when you’ve done a great job finding deals!!

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ishop19 Man, it sure does. There are a couple of things I'd probably do differently if I were starting over, but overall I'm comfortable with these choices. If I'd gotten everything at IKEA it would have cost at least as much and would look like IKEA. This is better.

• Anwar
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s the room with one sconce up. Will put the matching one up soon. And a couple of other shots: