0

Could this bed work for a single guy?

Anwar

Beautiful old antique iron and brass bed. I dig it, but I wonder if it screams "feminine." I'm a single guy.....should I be looking at something else instead?

• hummingalong2
    My grandfather in England had a bed like that.
    The mattress was all down and feathers!
  • Manon Floreat

One thing to consider is that altering antique pieces usually decreases their value. Are there any signs that the piece has already been altered? If not, and because you're unsure about it, maybe leave it for someone who is less concerned with its potential "gender expression" and more concerned with its vintage, value and style.

If you want an antique bed, keep looking. You can find one that suits your tastes better. If you're up for a contemporarily made piece, there are tons of options and styles to choose from. As with many things in life, when you find "the one" you won't have any doubts.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Great farmhouse piece if you create a handsome finish for the frame. See below.

My concern would be noise from a metal frame bed. That would be a deal breaker for me. No squeaky beds.

Beth H. :

the bed looks to be more 'common' rather than some collectable. I wouldn't worry about painting it. similar beds go for $100-$300.

however,,,

Step 1

Look at the metal involved in creating the bed. The Victorians primarily used hand-crafted cast iron for their home products until the start of World War I. This included bed frames, headboards and foot boards. After that point, mass-produced beds made of aluminum were common. If your bed frame is made of aluminum instead of iron, it is a reproduction.

Step 2

Look through antiques stores for bed frames in similar styles. Bed frames made in similar styles can date from the same time period. Some of the design styles that rose to prominence when Iron beds were popular include the Victorian style of the mid-1800s, the Art Nouveau style of the late 19th century and the Art Deco style of the 1920s and 1930s. Iron-bed frames created in these styles may date to these time periods.

Step 3

Examine the bed for an impression, trade mark or stamp that identifies the manufacturer. This mark may include a date of manufacture. If the maker is no longer in business, you can narrow the date of the bed to the time period before the manufacture closed. Consult antiques books for a record of bed designs made by that manufacturer. Many furniture makers change their designs over time. An individual piece of furniture's design helps to narrow the date of manufacture down.

Step 4

Look at the structure of the bed. Antique iron beds were built into the frame. They generally consisted of a headboard and foot board and side rails. The side rails connected to the head and foot board with hitches instead of brackets. If your bed has a separate frame or brackets for hardware, it may be a reproduction. Antique beds were also larger in size. A full/double antique bed from the Victorian era would be the equivalent of a modern queen or king sized bed.

• Olychick

If it's heavy and sturdy, it won't squeak. If the current paint isn't peeling, then just get some gloss enamel paint (black, gray, or navy - or find bedding you love and pull a color from that: green, orange, brown, etc.) either a spray can or with a brush (if spray painting would be too messy). Tape off the bottom part of the brass with painter's tape so you don't get paint on it.

Those beds were designed to have flat springs (which could squeak) but I've used a box spring under the mattress on my old iron bed with success. It just makes it a bit taller than desirable. Today's mattresses, depending on the kind you get, can be used on bunkie boards or a platform (thinner than a box spring).

As far as ruining any value, I don't think painting it will affect that. Most all the old ones have been painted (many times for some). And they are not terribly valuable anyway.

Hope you'll post a pic with your final results.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

"just paint it black or get a leather headboard. those are your two options. white is not an option for a male of this type of bed frame."

Wow, this statement is incredibly disheartening. And from a PRO too.

ANYTHING is for ANYONE who loves it. Gender is completely irrelevant.

OP since you asked for a more traditionally masculine look I agree with others that painting the white part black or dark grey or painting the whole thing in an oil rubbed bronze is the way to go. You've got some good examples above. As a hetero cis female if I saw that bed in your bedroom I would think, "wow, he has good taste in beds and recognizes quality when he sees it. Hot." If I saw a faux leather upholstered headboard I would be thinking, "how difficult is it going to be to get him to give this up, and did he buy it as a set with his sectional and recliner?" Not hot. Jmo

Beth H. :

and I would be thinking, "how are the two of us going to fit to sleep (and other) in this?" sorry, but I need a king now, and when I was a young stud-ette! lol

• Manon Floreat

^ and there's that to consider as well!

• Jennifer Hogan

I am going to stray from the camp. Even in black or navy this bed still has a femine feel. I would not suggest this if your purpose is to allure women.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

LOL @Beth I like a "cozy" bed!

I know I can't be the only woman who is turned off by the faux black/brown leather that men seem to think they have to buy to be "masculine"!

• Anwar

I just got a quote from a metal restoration place: to sand, prime and paint and shine up the brass would cost $950!

Reckon maybe I need a different bed.......

BeverlyFLADeziner

I'm sure they are very good, but if you paint the bed and just use some brass cleaner or Rub n'Buff it should be fairly easy.

Beth H. :

lindsey, no, you're not! and Anwar, just do it yourself. There's not a lot to it.

• Anwar

Suppose I got this here bed instead. Better? Worse?

Beth H. :

is that a queen? It's nice looking. get some decent bed linens and comforter and it will work.

BeverlyFLADeziner

The first bed was a bit more interesting IMO

• Anwar

Thanks, all. Update: I just won this bad boy for $31 at an estate auction. Charles P. Rogers brass frame. Not exactly what I pictured, but the quality is there and the price is right.

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

Navy bedding would go beautiful with the gold.

Inspiration:

Oxford Pinch Pleat Comforter Set, Down Alternative Fill, Navy, King · More Info

• ishop19

$31 is a heckuva good deal! He’s a keeper!

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

With a navy bedding your pick of area rugs are endless. Contemporary, modern, traditional.

• Anwar

Hi all,

So I got this big brass bed, and I got some bedding that I like. Now I'm trying to figure out window treatments, as the blinds I have don't block out light. Are blackout curtains the best bet? If so, what color? I thought maybe navy but worry that they'll make the room, which is narrow, feel small. Thoughts?

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

In my opinion a bed full size and up *must* have space on each side of it. If the room is too narrow to center the headboard between the windows, then take the side table away and center it on that wall. Use floating shelves as tables on each side of the bed.

For curtains, light blocking Roman shades would be my choice.

• Anwar

I hear you about the space-on-both-sides-of-the-bed thing. I probably should have gotten a full instead of a queen, but whatever. Anyway, here's a pic where I moved it out from the wall. I can't center it because I need to be able to access the door that you can see on the right side of the pic. If the bed is centered it's too tight. I could get a smaller bedside table to replace the one that's wedged in there now.

I thought of Roman shades too, which might be better. Maybe the room is just too narrow for big, imposing curtains.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

That's lots better.

I think you're right, the room is too small for big curtains, and with the baseboard heat I always think full drapes look odd. Roman shades are a nice, clean look. They are classic enough to suit the bed but can be as modern as you like in pattern. Great job so far!

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

What is on the wall facing the bed? Could you flip it so the bed is not in front of the doorway? or is there a closet there?

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

Some inspiration that will work with the bedding you've chosen:

Staging || Benton Way · More Info

• ishop19

That IS a very narrow room! Can you put the bed with the head between the windows or does it stick out too much that way? (You would have to raise the picture above the head board.)

You may or may not want blackout curtains, depends on how much you want to block the light! But they are hard to find in stores. These are good ones on amazon (below) that are about $20 and come with 2 panels. You need 2 panels per window. It looks like you have some color options based on your bedding. You might add some coordinating throw pillows on the bed to match whatever color you choose. They come in different sizes. Make sure the listed width is at least 2x your actual measured width for proper fullness when closed. Since your windows are tall and narrow you might extend the rod so the curtains hang on each side of the window when open so they don’t block any of the window and in that case double that measurement instead of the window measurement.

You can do the length of the window or to the floor. Now that your bed is away from the wall, you could do to the floor.

Another option if a 2 panel set seems too much for the room for each window is to use one panel per window and when they are open, for the left window, push it open to the left and for the right window push it open to the right. You would still need a single panel to be wide enough for 2x fullness.

Here are some color options in a highly rated blackout brand:

Glo European Windows & Doors

Another vote for *matte* black!

• ishop19

Anwar

I added comments to my post above with the amazon curtains.

• Anwar

Thanks, ishop. As it happens, I purchased that brand of curtain just a few days ago for a different room! They're really nice for the price.

Bed has to stay where it is. I'm either gonna go Roman shade or two panels per window.

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

If the bed must stay where it is, check garage sales, etc. for two very narrow end tables that fit. Having the bed away from the wall will help with making the bed easily and give you a space for two lamps.

• Anwar

I want to add a chair to this bedroom. It would be for reading/relaxing and sometimes for working (typing on laptop). One has an ottoman; the other doesn't. Does one look like a better choice? Not sure how to decide........thanks!

• ishop19

They are both great options. I think the ottoman one is fabulous. Looks comfortable, The color is good for your bedding. The ottoman is good for relaxing. BUT...will this larger one (because of the ottoman) fit in your room? The other one might fit better logistically without overwhelming your room. Where will you put it? I pictured it angled in the corner but your dresser is there. Have you sat in each one yet? That maybe a determining factor but they both look supportive and in great condition.

Will you be looking for a floor lamp or side table with lamp? Factor that into sizing.

• Anwar

Thanks, ishop. I haven't sat in either one. Both are being sold on Facebook Marketplace secondhand. If I do the ottoman one, I might have to keep the ottoman tucked away next to the chair and drag it around when I'm using it. The chair will either go between bed and dresser or I'll have to move the dresser to put the chair in the corner.

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

The one with the ottoman is a great color! If you choose that one and they don't fit as a set, you may be able to put the ottoman in front of your bed. It is also a great color to add a pillow with a punch of color.

• Anwar
    I’m leaning toward the one with the ottoman. The ottoman-at-foot-of-bed idea is intriguing.
  • ishop19

The dresser is bigger than i thought! Kind of blocks your walkway?

1. Try the dresser between the windows..

Or 2. Try the chair between the windows at the end of the bed with the dresser back where it was originally.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

Dresser where it was. Chair with ottoman or footstool at the end of the bed, looking away from the bed. Like this:

Vistas at Highland Ridge - Single-Family Homes in Telford, PA · More Info

• missenigma

What about the dresser where the chair is. The the chair along the wall where the dresser is.

Good choice on the Wing Back chair, it goes better with the rest of your selections.

• Anwar
    I’ll try that, Lindsey. The door in the corner makes everything much harder than it would be otherwise. I’d plaster over it, but I’m renting the joint.
  • Anwar
    OK. What if I put the dresser in front of the door (which I don’t need to use), like so, and get a mirror to put on top of the dresser so it’s not so obvious that it’s a door? I get that it looks silly having the door blocked, but this is the only arrangement where the furniture isn’t sticking out awkwardly into the room. Thoughts?
  • Anwar
    Like so:
  • miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

I think I'd rather see the chair and dresser swapped with the chair slightly in front of the door and pulled out into the room a bit so the back right corner of the chair is approximately on the same imaginary line as the front of the dresser. If there is room of course.

The dresser is so much taller, if the chair is pulled forward more it won't be so dwarfed.

But really, it looks like you're well on your way to creating a cozy room. If this is as good as it gets, you've done incredibly well. It's understandable that sacrifices are made when we are in cramped quarters.

Incidentally, what it behind that door? Is it by any chance storage space that could hold your dresser?

• Anwar
    Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful input. The door leads to the other bedroom in the apartment.....my daughter’s room. Both bedrooms are accessible via other doors, and there’s no need for a door between the two bedrooms. I worry that blocking a door, even an unnecessary one, just doesn’t look right.
  • ishop19

Hmmmm

You come in through the bathroom?

You sure you don’t need another throughway?

what matters is if feels better to you that way. But what about switching the chair and the dresser. The chair in front of the door may seem less like a barricade!! Unless you want it by the window.

• Anwar
    .....I think this is best. The ottoman is between the chair and dresser; I can slide it out when I’m using it. Thank you!!!
  • miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

Lol my fingers are tingling to get in there.

If you scoot the chair to the other side or even the middle and angle it the other direction, you'll have a view out your windows.

• Laura Grosmaire

I actually liked your dresser where it was originally, lol. Put a small table with a lamp next to the chair (in front of outlet) and you've got your cozy corner. Put something on top of the dresser to soften the top a little, not so stark. Hang something between door and dresser if it feels empty. Everything else looks forced to me.

• ishop19

Anwar, that looks great! Maybe try what lindsey (still misses sophie) said, to angle it toward the window. or it can be moved a little bit sometimes when you are hanging out and want to face the window.

When do you get your shades?