Software
Houzz Logo Print
amystottle

backsplash help

7 years ago

How far should the backsplash go up? We are remodeling our kitchen but keeping the existing custom-made cabinets. We are unsure if the wood is maple, alder, or an another hardwood. The island is being redone to have the trash/recycling and two sets of 3 deep drawers. We are also adding a 16" cabinet by the window. (Cabinets are being custom matched in alder. We are getting a sample before committing.) We have new stainless steel appliances including a professional gas range going in. We loved quartzite but it was 3x the price of granite. We have picked out Monte Cristo leather finish granite. We have a lot of wood in our house which makes decorating more challenging. I am wondering if it will look okay to have Esmer Kalta Bianco 4" x 8" tile go all the way up to the cedar around the window or if I should do something else? Or have a 6" backsplash and drywall or??? (New lighting is from Tech lighting. The second photo is the before photo.)



Esmer tile


Comments (23)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I’m bumping this up for you. I’m not exactly sure where next to the window you are squeezing in a 16” cabinet - would you mind clarifying? I do think you should consider removing the cabinet over the exhaust hood - it was fine over the microwave before the remodel, but now...not so much. Also, please post a photo of the tile rather than the link.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    you really should wait until the new countertop is in and all the upgrades are done. Then decide on the backsplash. but yes, I would take it all the way around the window and all the way up under the vent hood.

    I would NOT choose that Emser tile. Wait until it's installed before choosing something

    you also need some actual handles, not knobs for your hardware.



    If you had those cabinets painted white, the kitchen would really look so much better. those yellowed maple cabinets are really the wrong shade for all those grays you've chosen in the countertop.

    here's a nice before/after (I do like your wood ceiling though and wouldn't paint that)


    I would prob do a solid white tile like they've done here instead of those Emser

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for your suggestions. We don't like white cabinets. If money was no object, I would put in clear stain shaker cherry cabinets. The 16" cabinet is going to the right side of the kitchen by the toaster.

    Here is the Esmer tile.

  • 7 years ago

    can you order a sample of the tile so that it's on hand after the countertop is installed? I still don't think it will work w/your cabs and your countertop.

  • 7 years ago

    If you are keeping those cabinets and not painting them, I would not use that granite. I'd find something warmer. The granite will make your cabinets look more orange and the cabinets will make your granite look blue.

  • 7 years ago

    Monitors are notorious for distorting colors, but I doubt this is going to be a winning combination.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    yes, my thought too. monte cristo is cool grays and blues. Here is your countertop installed w/white cabs. it's a much better look than your orange/yellow tone.

    it's fine if you don't want white cabs, but I think you need to rethink your stone.



    This is leathered Mont Blanc,,similar to your colors. this is a closeup. I just don't care for it w/your cabs.

    I think a warmer stone/quartz top would be a better selection

    this fusion quartzite would be a perfect compliment


    or Cristalo




  • 7 years ago
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I do like that last quartzite counter.
  • 7 years ago
    I should say that the cabinets are way less orange than the photos.
  • 7 years ago
    here's another pic of a cabinet with the granite
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Your stone selection does not work with the cabinets or the wood walls. Shop for a granite that is creamy/ warm toned to work back to what's there now.

  • 7 years ago

    Here is a wood kitchens idea book with newer and older, refreshed kitchens with warm wood cabinets. It might inspire with some ideas. The second kitchen is mine with more pics in my "my pics" idea book.


    https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

    I refreshed with new countertop, backsplash and apron front sink. I think that similar will really make your kitchen pretty. You do have a working kitchen now, so you do not need to rush. Do look at some of the quartz counters too. You can wait a few months and save a bit if the price difference is not that much and there is a very good selection of color tones in the quartz. I do like many of the light granites also - but there is less of a selection.

  • 7 years ago

    Amy, they're actually more yellow/golden tone. your stone is very gray-blue. While blue and yellow do work, the gray needs to be a bit warmer. It's not horrible together, I just think there are better options for you. but hey, it's your kitchen! if you like it, go for it. just don't use that tile for the backsplash.

  • 7 years ago

    Kashimir white:

    Delicatus white:

    Saint Laurent - Quartzite:

    All better choices than this, IMO:


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have to agree Beth and Grover. Beth posted some beautiful choices that would work much better, but for me, the delicatus white (2nd pic) Grover posted is the winner - just gorgeous with the cabinet color. I fear your original choice will send you back here with a “help, I hate my new counters” post.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    grover, that 3rd one is gorge! I thought I've seen them all!

    As for the Delicatus (commonly known as Alaska White), look for the Delicatus Cream. it has more warmer tones. the White can also have a lot of cooler grays. Just depends on the slab.

    D. Cream:

    and Gold and White Delicatus. any thing w/these golden tones will look perfect w/your cabinets. With this particular slab below, I'd do an off-white ceramic tile (not a 3x6 subway,,,there are a ton of other shapes and sizes you could do)

    I still like this Fusion Quartzite w/your cabs if you want something a bit more dramatic

  • 7 years ago

    I agree the Fusion quartzite is lovely with the cabinets. But two thoughts: 1.) Fusion quartzite varies a LOT from one set of slabs to another, so they'd need to be careful in their selection and 2.) the OP already mentioned that quartzite was 3x the cost of the granite they picked, which makes me think that Fusion will be out of their budget too.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for all your help. You are giving me a lot to digest. Now I am thinking of going more white in countertop choices. (However, I love dark soapstone, but it is out of budget here in the PNW, and I fear it will be too dark.) Do you think a plain white quartz or carrera white quartz would look good with my yellow maple/alder cabinets??? I have to stick to the A series of Pental for price concerns with my fabricator. My DH is the one who loves the monte cristo countertop, but I am afraid it has too much movement in it for me. Also, I do fear I won't love it when it is installed. My whole house is red cedar with beams everywhere. It is a post lintel construction and is beautiful, but we have a rustic modern aesthetic so updating it is challenging. (We love wood and refuse to paint it white.)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here is white quartz:

    Art Collectors · More Info


    Interior Design Ideas: Designer’s Home - Home Bunch Interior Design Ideas · More Info


    Or stone like this one. I think I prefer a stone look.

  • 7 years ago

    Amy, any of the warmer whites will work. Just stay away from the cooler colors.

  • 7 years ago

    So after a whole lot of debate we decided to switch to refacing all of the cabinets and redoing the island. Originally we were going to go with cherry but it ages too red for us, so we are going with rift cut white oak. We are waiting for a sample in Ipswich pine before deciding if we are using a stain or just doing a clear finish. We are still using the Monte Cristo leather finish granite and will wait to order the backsplash until the rest is in. The cabinets look similar to the last picture.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here is the finished kitchen in rift cut white oak, Monte Cristo leather finish granite, and the kalta bianco marble Esmer tile. Chairs and bar stools are from Rejuvenation. My cell phone did not take the greatest pictures. The close up is probably the most true to color. The last picture is kind of weird tones but shows the island layout. Overall, we are very happy but I don't think I'll reface again just redo. Thank you all so much for your help! I think it would have looked terrible if we had kept the original alder doors.