0

Hosta B 2018 ...

I am half way thru my busiest work time of the year. I am thinking I should have retired. So show me some Bs to keep me going.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

Trying not to add too many to the wish list this year.

So far failing miserably and we've only got to B!!

Behemoth

Battle Star

Bedazzled in front

Breeder's Love x 2

Barbara Ann

Dave

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

I sometimes feel the same way Paula. Yes, the B's are adding great numbers to my list too Dave. Wow everyone!

Black Hills

Blue Angel

Blue Mouse Ears

BME - not many flowers in the drought.

Borwick Beauty

Bridegroom

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Lots of beautiful Bs

Backyard Monster

Bam Bam Blue

Banana Boat new this year

Beckoning

Big Daddy

Blazing Saddles

Blue Ivory

Blue Legend

Brave Amherst

Bridal Falls

Bright Lights

Brother Stefan

Brenda’s Beauty

• Karin Black Cat

There is no 'B' without Blue Angel...

• steve duggins - Ohio

Ben Vernooij (a fav - I posted 2 pics since my other Bs don't look great (yet))

Bobbi Sue - starts with a yellow edge and then turns white

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    Bressingham Blue..mixed with self sown Northern Sea Oats..this is the wildest part of my garden..
    Blue Mouse Ears..
    this could be? a Blue Angel..

• mbug_gw

Good ones Paula. It took me more than 40 seconds!

Lots of beautiful B's'

I'm going to look for Breeder's Love now....thanks Dave!

Ben Vernooij

Birchwood Parky's Gold

Blazing Saddles ....after rain

Blue Angel....and more rain!

Blonde Elf

Blue Cadet

Blue Mouse ears

Blue Flame

Brother Stefan.....a bullish beauty! Love this one!

Bulletproof......slow....slow....slow but great potential (I hope)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

mbug..I LOVE Blonde Elf..

LOTS of great B's everyone..I've been too busy with shrubs and stones..new hostas took a backseat..I'm taking notes this year..all of the Blue Ivory and Ben Vernooij look great..

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A

Love the B's

Bridal Falls in bloom

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Great to be back at the alphabet again, thanks Paula! We are over the hump of xmas and spring is no longer a million miles away.

I did not buy a single hosta this year (gasp!) I was busy completing a full time horticultural course this year which has been great fun and I have signed up to do the level 5 course which starts in february too, this is one step below degree level so next year will be busy too.

I failed to take any photos of any of my A hostas this year so I can only start here now with my few B's.

Blue Cadet

Bressingham Blue

Brother Stefan

Denis

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Congrats Denis! So are the courses for personal interest and satisfaction or do you have plans to use the knowledge in a professional way? Kudos on which ever!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Thanks! Its mainly for my own interest and love of gardening but I might like to do some teaching at some stage if the opportunity arose, we will see how it goes.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Sunnywood, I love backyard monster and Bam bam blue. I have never heard of these 2. My want list has started with all the beautiful B's

Bressingham Blue

Brother Stefan

Ben Vernooij

Blue mouse ears

Bridal Falls

Blue Cadet

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

I’m bummed! Lovely photos here, but I didn’t take many last season : (

Here is Bridal Falls, my only B photo, too bad it suffered a bit of frost damage this past spring, this wasn’t my only hosta affected by a late frost.

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..I can relate to your comment about pics ("didn't take many") I put off taking pics thinking "garden's not tidy enough" but then I miss out!..the plants peak and I didn't capture it..this year I'm gonna live in the moment..

• don_in_colorado

Blue Hawaii

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

You got me, paula, anything with cats I read.
    Nice Blue Ivories here. It's a favorite of mine even if it's a slow grower.
    peren.all, what a huge clump of Blue Mouse Ears!
    sunywood, Brenda's Beauty didn't show up (or at least I don't see it)
    mbug, that Blue Angel looks so awesome when it's wet!

Blue Jay

Blue Cadet lightening in the sunshine

Blaze of Glory

Ben Vernooij, new this year

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Sandyslopes I think I fixed it!

• hostas_for_barb

Sherry, Bridal Falls is a beauty!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Ahh, Laurie, I drool over your Blue Mouse Ears every time I see it. Mine is a speedy grower too! I keep dividing mine so it might never be as glorious as yours....hmmm....I guess I should leave it alone for awhile.

Sherry

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Sherry it’s SO hard to leave them alone!

• ConnieMay

Purchased as Brother Stefan... not entirely sure that’s what it is ... but love it anyway
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Paula---if you are half way through your busy season and still able to do the Alphabet---then we are truly blessed to have you!

Peren.all, love your BME---with flowers and without!

That's a beautiful Brother Stefan you have mbug! Actually all the Brother Stefan's are lovely. Looks like it's a must have!

Sherry, that's a good sized, lovely Bridal Falls!

I, too, didn't take that many photos. My camera broke and I haven't decided which camera to get! Too many choices! I missed out on some of that fun. One of my favorite winter "hobbies" is to sort my hosta photos. This year I have less to sort.

Beach Boy

Big Daddy

Blue Cadet

Blue Mouse Ears

Blueberry Muffin

Bridal Falls

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Thanks all!

sandyslopes I am so glad I got Blaze of Glory and hope it grows up to be as lovely as yours!

Lol Sherry, it is hard to leave them alone, especially one that grows so quickly! So many of us had a bad year. Late frost is often a problem for me too. I like to take progression pics and that turned out to be a good thing since many of mine will be early shots. Hail, drought and deer were not kind.

I have got to get me a Bridal Falls!

newhostalady ditto that! I can't wait to get Beach Boy planted and I love Blueberry Muffin. I had to get a new camera too. I had a permanent blotch on the lens that looked like a water drop. I had to toss so many pics.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Banana Kid.

- Got it on sale and was pretty beat up. Hopefully it will be a good one as it was a good root mass., I took all the dried leaves and this was what was left.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Shadow..I think Banana Kid is full and lush for a new hosta..I like it..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

NHL - as you can see below, I've copied your vignette with Blue Cadet - execept I planted a grouping of three. (Edited to add: I also have a Carex Ice Dance to the right side... the variegated hosta to the left is Ivory Coast.)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Baby Doll, reverting I fear:

Blue Hawaii:

Blueberry Muffin:

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

I love Brother Stefan. Here he is before the sun fried him (mid May):

and after (late July):

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Blue Jay was new this year and I kept it potted... may keep it in the pot for at least a few seasons so I can look at it on the deck from my laundry room. Think I'm going to love this one!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

windymess..how do you overwinter the pots?..if you've mentioned it before I don't remember..I'm always curious about hosta in pots..

• hostas_for_barb
    Bright Lights
    Blue Mouse Ears emerging

Brim Cup

Brother Stephan

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

windymess Baby Doll is so cute! In spring I would separate it out from it's reversion to Blue Cadet. Another beautiful Blue Hawaii & Blueberry Muffin.

So many gorgeous Brother Stephan. I really need to get my new bed prepped, it will be getting a place of honor.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Windymess, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." But I think your garden having three Blue Cadet hosta together is even better!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

peren- I definately plan to separate Baby Doll asap... and regret that I didn’t get it done last summer. Hopefully there‘s something left to separate when it comes up this spring!

nicholsworth- I just put the pots in my unheated (and dark) garage after they’re dormant. I was OBE last year and ran out of time for planting in the ground so there are a lot in pots. Maybe once a month during the winter, if there’s a little warmer weather, I put a bit of crushed ice on them. It melts and gives a little moisture... but I’m not sure that’s really necessary. When they start coming up I’ll move them closer to the door and I can raise it partway so they get some light. Then when the weather improves and they’re a little further along I’ll put them on the screened porch until I’m ready to plant them. It’s worked well for the last few years... hopefully they’ll all come through ok this year.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

windymess..I have 5 hosta in pots in my shed..it's a wooden structure built onto the back of our garage..this is my third winter overwintering hosta in pots in the shed..they've survived so far..I would say we have the same method but my shed could be colder..I don't give mine any water until March? when we have a decent day and I take a peek in the shed..we've left the double doors open during the day once the worst of winter is over..glad to know this is a good way to do it..along with the hosta I worry about my pots..winter here is brutal sometimes..

• old_dirt

Wow, only the second letter and already getting behind...focus!

Blue Mouse Ears

Blue Mammoth

Blue Angel

Brim Cup

Brass Ring

Big Daddy

Big Mama

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nicholsworth, just an FYI from me, my hosta pots go in my unheated shed and get ignored all winter. I try to put them away slightly damp. We had so much rain this fall I was afraid they would get put away too wet. I put them on my utility cart in the shed and pulled them out on a few sunny days, first time I did that. Last spring when I put the pots out I had two with some white”fuzz” on the soil, I know they weren’t too wet when I put them away. I just cleaned those two up and they did great. I decided after that experience that too wet wasn’t gonna work in the shed with little air circulation.

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..I do the same..mine had some good rain just before I put them away but they weren't dripping wet..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Found a picture of my second Blueberry Muffin. It looks better than the one I posted above.

I am pretty sure this is Brim Cup. Very attractive looking in the spring and then the edges get crispy. You can see it starting on one leaf in the 6 to 7 o'clock position.

You can see here how it looks so bright next to all the other greens and blues around it.

• zkathy z7a NC

Bix Blues

Baby Bunting — early to rise, early to flower, early to bed

Bitsy Gold

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Hope you had a great party Kathy!

• ConnieMay

Blue Ivory

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I have one to add...BlueDolphin

Now I want BamBamBlue and BackyardMonster... I think I need to buy the house next to me and tear it down!

• M MW

Almost all my plants are newly planted so I don't have many pictures yet! Here's one B I have

Baby

• M MW

Baby Bunting

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland

I have a few B’s in my tiny garden, here is one of them, ’Brenda’s Beauty’

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

That's a cute one Laura!

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Laurel have you checked out your Brenda’s Beauty in the hosta library?

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland

Sunnywood, yes, I’ve been trying to confirm the name from several sources and have to say I’m not 100% sure.. It was bought from a reputable breeder but even they make mistakes with labelling every now and then.

Mine lives in a very sunny spot which may affect the coloring but the edges are more twisted and curly than BB in most pictures - so, not sure..