Software
Houzz Logo Print
ascsue

help with better lighting

7 years ago
My kitchen needs better lighting. When preparing food by the sink, shadows make it hard to see even with the fan lights on. I could sure use some suggestions!

Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Do you have under cabinet lighting? That is the thing that helped me the most. You can also replace the ceiling fan with a track light and the lights can be aimed as you want - but you will always have a shadow if the light is behind you as you stand at the counter - which is why I love my under cabinet lighting.


    Track light:


  • PRO
    7 years ago






    How about these galss pendant lamps.

    They can make the kitchen lighter.

  • 7 years ago
    If it is in your budget, adding 4 recessed lights would make a big difference. If not, then the under-cabinet lighting is a great idea too.
  • 7 years ago

    Under cabinet lights. Get rid of the brown backsplash. Paint the ceiling white. Replace the black range hood with stainless steel. Remove the valance over the sink and replace that light with a sleek linear LED light. Stainless steel refrigerator skin for the black fridge.

  • 7 years ago
    More pics. Different angles. We live in the woods and tons of beams and wood ceilings. New stainless dishwasher coming
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for the input. Was thinking of something like photo one to replace the fan. Don’t know where the pendants could go. I don’t want more holes in my wood/beam ceiling
  • 7 years ago

    Are the main problems areas the shadows on sink and overall winter gloom? Or something else? Do you use the fan on the fan light?

    An LED panel that looks like a skylight would be a big change if you want bright lighting.

    In the meantime, you could try out a motion activated, battery powered row of LEDs over the sink, something likes this: https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-OxyLED-Wireless-Operated-Wardrobe/dp/B072QL568M/

  • 7 years ago
    Under cabinet lighting for sure!
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Like the idea of track lighting here. I've seen some warmer LEDs available recently, but I think I'd still want to see warm halogen spot bulbs to give some glow to the beautiful wood.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    In addition to adding LED undercabinet task lighting (a requirement for your dilemma, in my opinion!), it looks like you could benefit from better general (ceiling) lighting throughout the entire kitchen...and maybe even beyond. ;)

    Here are some options that leave your ceilings in tact (i.e., without 4”-6” holes):




    And here’s one that, even though it doesn’t leave your ceiling in tact, could brighten things up even further due to the white paint:


    And here’s a hybrid—the ceiling is left in tact but it’s painted white:

    BTW, is the fan absolutely necessary? If not, ditch it altogether! Kitchens and dining areas are just not the best place to have them, mainly for two reasons: 1. they turn your piping-hot soup into ceviche and 2. they attract and disperse dust into your food. Ew. ;)

  • 7 years ago
    Yes. I hate the fan but hubby just informed me that he likes it and it stays. Will have to wait for awhile to bring it up again!
    Took all the advice and he installed the under counter light I bought today. Light is whiter than the others but solves the problem when I’m preparing food there. Thanks for the input!
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Consider another under cabinet light unit on the other side of the sink. I had mine like yours for about a year and then an electrician wired it into my sink light - I have two switches on the wall where there used to be one. My ceiling lighting is not that great either, but It doesn't matter as much with good under cabinet lighting - especially this time of year.

    You have a sweet space! You might want to change out the darker backsplash paint and window trim for a lighter color. I don't usually like "faux" things, but I have used the bead board textured, paintable wallpaper as a backsplash in my basement kitchenette. I am not sure if your space needs one more texture, but it was an inexpensive way to make a fitting backsplash:

    Basement kitchen:

    [https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573)

    I used to have dark trim around my window and painting it light seems to have brightened the light as it comes through. I also changed my window treatment to one which blocks less light - though I do like your checked curtain. I did remove the wavy wood piece over my sink.

    Light trim and faux roman shade in my main kitchen:

    [https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042)

    I used to have a similar fan. Have your husband dust / clean it a few times - he might change his mind about it:)

  • 7 years ago

    We moved here 18 years ago. I was lucky he put up the fan to replace a huge fluorescent light! Kitchen was a yellowed white with peeling Kelly green plaid wallpaper. Would love to replace the cabinets with knotty alder but we just finished adding a master bedroom, bath and garage. No more for awhile.

    Have no idea about the backsplash. I thiugt of wood but think it’s too much. Guess I’ll just be patient and ride out the winter crazies here in Illinoi!

    Thanks to all for the ideas!

  • 7 years ago

    I really like your kitchen. We have to have a ceiling fan in our kitchen because we have no vent (or place to hang one) in our kitchen. We have to use the fan to keep the smoke detector from going off. I'd much rather have LIGHT than the fan

  • 7 years ago
    Yup. Those pesky sensitive smoke alarms and my nonchalant cooking!
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I wonder if you could have a wall fixture placed on the soffit above the stove, something like this (this is an outdoor fixture, but the only example I could quickly find of what I have in mind). I have seen very similar lamps in finished kitchens posted here. This would put light where you need it without shadows and without touching the ceiling.

    I personally would put in more generalized ceiling light, like recessed or something along the lines of Sammy's examples. I have found as I get older that the fixture here & there approach isn't adequate. I know that you don't want to touch the ceiling, but a dark wood ceiling without enough useful light isn't as attractive as it could be (IMO of course).

    gooseneck wall lamp

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Well, the single plug-in undercabinet light is at least a start. Is it LED? As for the color temperature, better white than yellow light for food prep. One thing I noticed that’s cause for concern, however, is the receptacle that it’s plugged into:


    You really need to make upgrading the electrical the first priority. How old is this house?

  • 7 years ago
    Yes. The house is probably 60 years old. Have had it checked out and all is ok. Lots of flaws. But I like to think of it as character! We did just convert the old screened in porch to a master and part of old garage to bathroom.
  • 7 years ago
    BTW. Love goose neck lamps!
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Those builtins in the master are gorgeous! And the window above, too! Is it cherry?

  • 7 years ago

    They are knotty alder. room inspired by alpine lodges on Houzz!