0

Hosta G 2018 ......The real one

Lets try this again. It was way to early this morning. Show me some Gs:

• hostas_for_barb

Steve, love your Gemini Moon and Goodness Gracious - if only I had more space!!!!

Like you Gypsy Rose progression too.

• hostas_for_barb

Peren, thanks, I love Golden Meadows too. It has taken a while to get to this size so I am kind of bummed that I have to divide her to get the drawstring effect back but we all know that some of these hosta require a little work and this one is worth it. I divide those with lots of eyes regularly but not so much with those with few but large eyes.

Your Giantland Mouse Cheese is awesome! Does it have the thick leaves of Blue Mouse Ears? Is it the gold version of Blue Mouse Ears? I love the Mouse Ears varieties in part because they are so darn cute but also due to the slug resistance. The Goober Flowers are really lovely too!

• hostas_for_barb

Golden Meadows

Gold Drop

Grand Prize

Golden Bullion

Gypsy Rose (I had her potted and overwintered in the shed - voles got into the shed and chewed up a lot of hosta roots and this was one casualty. I planted her in the ground in the spring so I hoping she comes back strong this year).

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    Grand Prize

Guardian Angel

Gypsy Rose

Guacamole

Golden Tiara , Has suffered snail damage.

Gold Standard

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Yes Barb some are definitely worth the extra effort and GM is one that most certainly qualifies. I had to separate solid parts of Reversed in the fall.

I love all the Mice too! Giantland Mouse Cheese is a seedling of BME. It does have the thick leaves and slug resistance too. It has a fairly good growth rate but slower than BME.

Goober has been a super performer.

sunnywood you have such a great collection. Today George Smith and Grand Marquee caught my attention.

sandyslopes your Ghostmaster is a lovely specimen. Gemstone is a really strong grower!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Paula..just my opinion but I think it's dumb that a poster can't edit (or delete) their post whenever they want..

Glorious G's everyone!..I'm loving everyone's Goodness Gracious..I have 2 pics to share..

Gold Standard?

Golden Tiara by the sidewalk..

• mbug_gw

Don....beautiful subtle color on your Guac.

peren......love the grouping of Gold Drops!

jealous of all the nice Golden Meadows ....another one that I can't grow....3 dead and counting!!

Georgia Sweetheart

Ghost Spirit

Gold Drop

Gold Standard

Golden Prayers

Golden Tiara

Goodness Gracious

Great Expectations

Guacamole

Last, but not least, Guardian Angel ....an absolute favorite and a beautiful hosta all season long

......unfurling in early May

......leaf closeup

GA in June

• ConnieMay

Great Expectations

Guacamole on the right (Stained Glass in the left)

Gold Drop

• hostas_for_barb

Mbug - such beautiful photos and quite a collection. I especially like Golden Prayers - not as familiar with that one.

• dstickrod77

sunnywood, love the Grand Marquis. I've done searches and can only come up with Grand Marquee

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Don’t pick on an old guy that never could spell!

• dstickrod77

I can't spell either, kept getting "no results for marquis, would you like to try marquee?". Now, if voice to text on my phone could understand what I really want to say : )

• Karin Black Cat

I have enough pictures to show a few more :-)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.

I know I haven't piped-up in the rest of the alphabet, but I can't help but add a 'Guacamole' flower - for Don (-:

Pieter

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Peren- Goober really appeals to me. The flowers/scapes are just right... and those rounded leaves with pebbly texture!

Geisha... poor thing was eaten down to the quick several times last summer, but kept coming back, and I’m anxious to see it in spring:

Gold Regal... need to move this one before it gets any larger:

Golden Tiara:

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Love the progression of Gypsy Rose Steve!

Love those Guardian Angels! I've had difficulty growing mine. I have one I kept in a pot and it got smaller and smaller. I planted it in the garden this year. I hope it will become happier.

Gemstone is catching my eye!

Is Giantland Mouse Cheese lutescent peren.all? It looks great!

I have a young Geisha. I want it to look like yours Sunnywood! Great Escape is similar to Blue Ivory. Is it as slow?

Don great photo of Guardian Angel!

Barb love your Golden Meadows. I didn't know that the drawstring effect could disappear with age.

mbug, love your Golden Prayers, Golden Tiara and Guardian Angel!

• zkathy z7a NC

Gosen Sunproof

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

zkathy..Gosen Sunproof is gorgeous!..how is the cleanup from that wicked storm coming along?..I bet it's keeping you busy all winter isn't it?..

• mbug_gw

conniemay....beautiful pics....great combinations

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sun 1-6-19..Get some Autumn ferns if you don't have any..they look Great with hostas..nice to have some Green when the hosta aren't around..first pic has a hellebore..epimediums..pachysandra.. boxwoods..

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

Great pictures everyone.

I spent most of last year taking pics of my seedlings and so not much to offer here this year.

Golden Oriole

Ghost Spirit

A new Galaxy in 2017 just unfurling in the Spring

Gunther's Prize

Dave

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Thank you mbug, Gold Drop always looks good doesn't it - singly or grouped. I am really liking that Georgia Sweetheart. It looks well established. Have you shown it before? Golden Prayers is a stunner too. Small wonder Guardian Angel is a favorite. Outstanding!

ConnieMay gorgeous garden, combos and plants throughout the alphabet!

windymess I recall you liking straight scapes. Goober certainly delivers on great scapes/flowers and texture. It has become such a favorite from beginning to end of season.

newhostalady Giantland Mouse Cheese is lutescent. It starts out chartreuse for a short time before turning more yellow. I have been waiting for you to add your Great Expectations to the beauties already shown.

sunnywood and Dave - Galaxy is such an interesting mix. Looking at pics it is almost unsettling with no two leaf patterns the same.

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Also need to catch up on my G's

Ghost Spirit, new in 2018

Gold Regal

Gold Standard

Golden Meadows

Golden Tiara

Great Expectations

Guacamole

Guardian Angel

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    anyone else have strong winds today?..fortunately this fell right in the path!..no wonder I can't keep the place tidy..

• oursteelers 8B PNW

We’ve had strong wind the past few days also. The best part when you have no power is there is no excuse for anybody to not help with clean up :)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Interesting that Giantland Mouse Cheese is lutescent, peren.all. I like having some hostas that are lutescent. It gives me something else to look forward to later on in the season.

I've been delayed posting as my fridge died. So I've been throwing out food, sorting food, storing in the garage etc. But found a fridge now and it is due to arrive tomorrow. Hurray!

Golden Meadows. I love this hosta. Amazing how different it looks later on in the season.

Golden Sculpture. A bit slow growing for me, but the leaves are getting bigger and it is developing corrugation which I love.

Golden Tiara. From my neighbor's garden. In memory.

Grand Prize

Guacamole. I had more dried edges on my hostas this year. Not sure if it was a watering issue or media issue, or both!

Guardian Angel. This one is coming along. I am not convinced that GA's like to live in pots.

Gypsy Rose. Mine was growing well and then began to deteriorate. It's making a comeback now. This is actually two that I put side by side.

Great Expectations

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Great Expectations

Green Acres on the left

Guacamole

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Nicholsworth, we had some strong winds yesterday, but not today. Yes, lucky the tree fell on the path. I guess nature took care of the weak one.

That GE is a beauty mountainy man!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Just glad you were not under that branch when it came down nicholsworth.

Ugh sorry about your fridge and that you lost some food.

I think both yours (newhostalady) & Denis's are gorgeous.

You can see how yellow Giantland Mouse Cheese gets in the pic of Goober. It is the one on the far side at the front.

• don_in_colorado

Gosan Sunproof in mid-April. One of the earlier-rising hostas in my gardens.

• don_in_colorado

Thanks, people. I'm not saying that Guacamole is my absolute favorite hosta. (definitely one of 'em, though) But my Guacamole is my favorite hosta growing in my gardens. Since 2013 all it's done is gotten bigger every year. It's been the perfect grower. : )

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I found your Giantland Mouse Cheese hosta near Goober. It looks so sweet! How much sun do you have it in peren.all?

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Oh yes- G Mouse Cheese is adorable for sure.... and knowing that it’s lutescent makes it even more desirable to me!

• old_dirt

Gorgeous G's. hesitant to post mine but here they are anyway.

Great Expectations

Guacamole

Golden Tiara

Golden Tiara, ring around the dogwood tree

Gold Standard

Gold Regal

Gold Drop

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Old dirt-your g’s are great!!!

• ConnieMay

Terrific pictures everyone! It makes me smile to think so many others are out taking photos of their gardens ...while the neighbours look on, perplexed.

One more G - Gold Standard

Earlier in in the season...

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

newhostalady GMC gets a fair bit of sun. Most of the bed gets dappled sun all day but the front edge where it is located gets full sun for most of the day. The soil though is rich and moisture retentive. If the soil were not as good I would give it less afternoon sun. Glad you like it too windymess!

old_dirt your G's are wonderful!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Giantland Mouse Cheese is going on the wish list!

I really like the Gold Standard hosta which many of you have. I think it is very pretty. It's an oldie, but a goodie!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Connie May- agreed. I’m sure my neighbors think I’m crazy.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

windymess..a neighbor once told me (she WAS kidding) "your husband needs to take away your credit card" apparently she thinks I have enough plants..

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Nicholsworth-that’s what my kids say too! And I don’t think they’re kidding :)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

oursteelers..I'm sure the kids think you have too many plants Lol..oh well..I just say "yeah I probably do"..then I smile and keep going!..

• don_in_colorado

Unusual Guacamole leaf

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Don, I moved my Guac and hope it gets as picture worthy as yours!

nicholsworth, I hope your trees give you good warning before they drop big branches like that.

newhostalady, sorry to hear about your fridge. I hope you were able to save as much as possible. It's terrible when our appliances let us down. Mon. my dishwasher caused a flood in the kitchen and flooded down into the basement. Lots of mess! That's great you're getting a new fridge so fast. My situation has insurance involved. Told me at least 4 wks. before things are whole again. What a way we're starting 2019!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Oh no sandyslopes! 4 weeks is a long time to deal with upheaval, especially on two levels of your home. Sorry you are starting out the New Year in such a way.

Beth that is a great looking Ghost Spirit 1st year or not!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Yes it is terrible when our appliances give out. For the most part it is unforeseen. My fridge was 18 years old. So my lesson is: considering buying a replacement fridge at least before it's 15 years old. It's just not worth the upheaval it brings. Appliances just aren't built to last these days. In fact our salesman said fridges are made to last only ten years!

I am sorry to hear about the damage your dishwasher has caused sandyslopes. When insurance is involved, it's never as quickly resolved as when they are not. But sounds like your getting the repairs and clean up taken care of. I hope it will be quicker than you think!

Gr. Ex. mid October

and in November

• don_in_colorado

Thanks, Sandyslopes, I wish my Guacamole was getting a little bit more sun, but it loves where it is. Here's another funny leaf from my smaller Guacamole:

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Don, your Guacamoles are getting some interesting leaves! I put mine under a tree where it will get a little dappled sun until late afternoon/ evening, when it will get direct sun just before it sets. We'll see if Guac likes that.