0
arlaine_mcgregor

Overhang on quartz countertop

Arlaine McGregor
last modified: January 10, 2019

HELP.I just had quartz countertops put in yesterday. All looks great except one area.The over hang varies from 1.5" - 2.5"My dilemma is a small cabinet that is next to a pocket door...this overhang is 4.5" and to me looks strange.I think if it was 2-2.5" it would look better.Can this edge be cut 2" smaller without damaging my cabinet? Or am I screwed.The person who measured asked if I'd like that one side a little bit longer. I said sure, a little bit would be ok but not over 2".CHECK OUT PICTURES.
Does this extra overhang look odd?

• Karen Rose
    Yes, it’s way too far out. Especially next to a door opening.
    Arlaine McGregor thanked Karen Rose
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

That looks very strange. I'd speak to the installer and ask to have it redone.

Arlaine McGregor thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Arlaine McGregor

I’m just hoping they can cut that off without damaging my cabinet or wall too much. Or can it be done at all? Am I stuck with this?

• DrB477

yes it looks weird. should be fixable.

Arlaine McGregor thanked DrB477
    The Kitchen Place

I'm pretty sure they'll remove it, cut it,reinstall. Can't cut that in place.

Arlaine McGregor thanked The Kitchen Place
  • Arlaine McGregor

Do you agree that it looks a bit odd? Everywhere else is 1.5-2” overhang and this is 4.5”.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Again, yes, it's odd and out of proportion.

Anthony Perez

this looks very odd, I would have the counter top people trim on site, ( only you have to be willing to put up with the noise and dust while they do it, but I think is worth fixing, your counter people have to be good and be careful with the cabinets

Arlaine McGregor thanked Anthony Perez
  • amazon4

I know it looks odd...but was it done so it came out to the door trim?

But I agree, cut it.

Arlaine McGregor thanked amazon4
  • Arlaine McGregor

It was done by the countertop people. Yes they brought it to the edge of the trim. But it’s at least 2” longer than what should be there. Everywhere else measures 1.5-2.5 max. . I could see if it was a little longer than everywhere else by 1/4” or 1/2” but this looks strange to me. Or if my cabinet below was larger, it probably would look fine...Just looks Out of place with this much extra of a overhang. 4.5”

Maybe they thought they were doing me a favour?? But it bothers me. Looks unbalanced.

• mark_rachel

It can be cut on site without damaging your cabinet. You might have to do a little drywall repair. Too bad your cabinets are not just a little larger to make up that difference.

Arlaine McGregor thanked mark_rachel
  • Arlaine McGregor

mark_rachel I totally agree. If the cabinet above and below was 2” wider it wouldn’t look so bad.

• Arlaine McGregor

They came back took the countertop off, took it back to the shop, took 2” off and returned and reinstalled.

yeah!!! Thankyou everyone for your input. Much appreciated! ❤️

Now all I have to do is finish grouting the floor and get that hardwood done In the other room.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Looks MUCH better! Good luck with the rest of your projects!

• Mona

Looks so much better! Good thing you spoke up.