0

What size shutters do we need for the two outer windows?

mcbrayer0814
last modified: January 10, 2019

Please ignore everything in the picture other than the windows. There have been and will be several changes to the exterior and this is an old photo but it shows the windows in question.

We are thinking of adding shutters to the two outer windows and with the windows being 72" wide I'm a little lost on the size we need. Also, do we add shutters to the windows under the porch as well or just the outer?

Thanks in advance!

PPF.

Read about shutters here: https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Then you can decide for yourself.

Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader

All of your windows are too wide for shutters. A shutter should cover half of the window. To work on your house they would have to be rather large.

• mcbrayer0814

Kevin, so would it be best to not have any shutters?

David J. Design Inc.

You can certainly do shutters on your windows. The width should be around 15"-18" wide. Shutters these days are strictly decorative and have no practical purpose at all. The style of shutter should have a paneled design and not a louver design. The colour should be a dark blue/grey and I do mean dark. This will look great with your brick and roof. I would do the shutters on all of the windows including the ones under the front porch.

Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader

As David said, you can have shutters. It's a personal preference. I prefer not to have shutters (operable or not) that would not completely cover the windows when closed. If you decide to do shutters they need to be on the wider side.

I would probably spend my money on landscaping and larger columns on the porch. I'm sure the existing ones are adequate to support the porch but they look inadequate in terms of mass. I would wrap the existing ones and add two more, one on either side.

• chloebud

I agree with Kevin. It's a personal preference but correct sizing looks best to me. As stated, each shutter should be half the window's width. In general, most shutters you see aren't sized right...and/or don't suit the style of the house.

toddinmn

Doceverything we’re suppose to ignore than decide if you need shutters.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    This may sound crazy but what does everybody think about painting the brick that frames all 4 windows? Maybe someone could photoshop it.
  • Jeanne Cardwell
    Paint it White and then beef up the columns and landscaping,
  • chloebud

Jeanne, I was thinking something similar, or, if possible, add a wider trim around the windows. They definitely need a wider border/trim. That would be better than shutters IMO.

Sorry...I know we're supposed to ignore everything else. Just hope those downspouts have been painted to blend with the brick. I do like the brick and roof color.

toddinmn

I’d still do everything else first , whatever thT might be, then decidef

• R. C.

I agree that painting the downspouts to blend in would be nice, as would beefing up the front columns. The house is very pretty!

• decoenthusiaste

Lots of places here to put your money, but shutters are not it!

• mcbrayer0814

Thank you everyone. We're going to go with the majority and work on our other plans and once happy with all other changes see how we feel about the shutters.

Our plans our to beef up the columns with wider square columns and are currently working on landscape. We are also replacing the door unit. We've talked about painting the downspouts or planting tall shrubs to conceal most of it. Opinions?? IF we do paint we only paint the downspouts or the entire gutter system? Any color suggestions?

Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader

If you do the shutters they'll not be able to be the width of one of the windows (they would be so wide that they wouldn't look right). I would use some cardboard cut in different widths to find one that looks right. With larger columns, and more of them, and landscaping I don't know that the shutters add that much.

I would go with plantings to cover the downspouts. If you try to paint them then you end up with two colors of guttering and I just don't think that would look good. To me guttering is more an extension of the trim and should be the same color as the trim (unless it is a different material, like copper).

When you do the plantings, I would fill in the area inside the sidewalk with plants and mulch.

In order I would do:

1) Columns.

2) Larger window trim.

3) Landscaping.

You could also paint the front door a brighter color to make it more of a focal point. It's kind of lost being gray and in the shadows.