Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Something New ;)

7 years ago

I got this on a good deal...guess how much!?

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    OMG! What a find by Dickerson! Good going! I just Googled it and looked at the ToContents! How fascinating. I can guess what you paid, but I'd love to know where you found it. : )

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    How cool is that! I wonder if that middle rose is La France. Can you share the year this was put out?

    Alana8aSC thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It said 2000.

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Awesome find ! And I’ll guess 50 cents or a dollar at yard or estate sale ?

    Alana8aSC thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I paid less than $10! I wish Lily! I cannot find rose anything hardly around here. I think I am not the norm for here! Haha, I'm better than Norm though ;)

    Everywhere that had this book yesterday was $50 or alot more. I just found another one for $35. But I love my deal I got.

    Now I have The Old Rose Informant, The old Rose Advisor, and Adventures. This one isn't a hard back copy like the other two, but I can't wait to read it!


    On the Old Rose Advisor, I think I have the original. It's not a volume 1 or 2.

  • 7 years ago

    That’s still a great deal ! I hope you enjoy reading it . I keep my eyes out sometimes at yard sales but Haven’t found books I’d like in a long while .

    Alana8aSC thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago

    Yea Vaporvac, all by Dickerson.

    I love Beales Classic Roses!

    Have you ever read Rose's for an Empress? I enjoyed it as well. I really do have alot of Rose's books, but I read them alot. I love thumbing through Vintages book, Rosa Gallica by Virrier, Landscaping with antique Rose's, Antique Rose's for the South, and so many more! Love my Rose's, my rose books, I'm just rose crazy!!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Better rose crazy than just plain crazy! One book I love is Harkness' Illustrated Old Roses. It's a coffee table sized book, but the plates are gorgeous and it has quite good information. I'll have to look up a rose book I'm reading from free Kindle. It's early last century and SO informative! However, I wish I had the hard copy. I'll have to look up some of yours. Thank you! It's a no wonder I can't finish the one I'm reading! ; 0

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    alana and vaporvac....I love these rose book recommendations! I just bought the Harkness Illustrated Old Roses on Amazon.

    Alana8aSC thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 7 years ago
    I just bought ‘Roses for an Empress’ on Amazon :-) thanks for the tip!
    Alana8aSC thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    Your welcome! I thought it was a very interesting read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

  • 7 years ago
    I just finished ‘Roses for an Empress’. A lovely book with beautiful rose illustrations throughout. I knew nothing about Josephine and Napoleons relationship before this read. So fascinating, their love affair. They both had a real romantic streak and a very complicated relationship. I read a bit more about them online and there are quite a few different views on their motives in their relationship. This book tends towards the most romantic view of their relationship with the text being primarily translations of the letters that they and their friends wrote. Very little commentary by the authors.