0
alana8asc

Something New ;)

Alana8aSC

I got this on a good deal...guess how much!?

• vaporvac

OMG! What a find by Dickerson! Good going! I just Googled it and looked at the ToContents! How fascinating. I can guess what you paid, but I'd love to know where you found it. : )

Alana8aSC thanked vaporvac
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

How cool is that! I wonder if that middle rose is La France. Can you share the year this was put out?

Alana8aSC thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • vaporvac

It said 2000.

Alana8aSC thanked vaporvac
  • Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Awesome find ! And I’ll guess 50 cents or a dollar at yard or estate sale ?

Alana8aSC thanked Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
  • Alana8aSC

I paid less than $10! I wish Lily! I cannot find rose anything hardly around here. I think I am not the norm for here! Haha, I'm better than Norm though ;)

Everywhere that had this book yesterday was $50 or alot more. I just found another one for $35. But I love my deal I got.

Now I have The Old Rose Informant, The old Rose Advisor, and Adventures. This one isn't a hard back copy like the other two, but I can't wait to read it!

On the Old Rose Advisor, I think I have the original. It's not a volume 1 or 2.

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

That’s still a great deal ! I hope you enjoy reading it . I keep my eyes out sometimes at yard sales but Haven’t found books I’d like in a long while .

Alana8aSC thanked Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
  • vaporvac

Wow! Are these all by Dickerson? My favourite rose deal was finding P. Beales 20th Century Roses being used as library table prop at Arhaus Furniture store. My eagle-eyes about popped out of head. They sold it to me for $6! It's one of my most read books. I now have the follow-up that includes the 1st volume, but I sometime prefer this one because it's smaller and lighter.... better for bedtime reading! : )

I also saw the most beautiful fleece-type robe with fantastic roses sculpted into the fabric. Had it been another colour than gray, I might have hinted to my DH, but I already have one that colour. It was really unique. They also had a darling Betsey Johnson one in gorgeous colours, but I truly have enough robes.

Alana8aSC thanked vaporvac
  • Alana8aSC

Yea Vaporvac, all by Dickerson.

I love Beales Classic Roses!

Have you ever read Rose's for an Empress? I enjoyed it as well. I really do have alot of Rose's books, but I read them alot. I love thumbing through Vintages book, Rosa Gallica by Virrier, Landscaping with antique Rose's, Antique Rose's for the South, and so many more! Love my Rose's, my rose books, I'm just rose crazy!!

• vaporvac

Better rose crazy than just plain crazy! One book I love is Harkness' Illustrated Old Roses. It's a coffee table sized book, but the plates are gorgeous and it has quite good information. I'll have to look up a rose book I'm reading from free Kindle. It's early last century and SO informative! However, I wish I had the hard copy. I'll have to look up some of yours. Thank you! It's a no wonder I can't finish the one I'm reading! ; 0

Alana8aSC thanked vaporvac
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

alana and vaporvac....I love these rose book recommendations! I just bought the Harkness Illustrated Old Roses on Amazon.

Alana8aSC thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    I just bought ‘Roses for an Empress’ on Amazon :-) thanks for the tip!
    Alana8aSC thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Alana8aSC

Your welcome! I thought it was a very interesting read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    I just finished ‘Roses for an Empress’. A lovely book with beautiful rose illustrations throughout. I knew nothing about Josephine and Napoleons relationship before this read. So fascinating, their love affair. They both had a real romantic streak and a very complicated relationship. I read a bit more about them online and there are quite a few different views on their motives in their relationship. This book tends towards the most romantic view of their relationship with the text being primarily translations of the letters that they and their friends wrote. Very little commentary by the authors.