0

Seedling care advice

Brad

Hi

thought I would try to grow some Japanese maples by seed so, i bought some off eBay, planted them in a tray, covered the tray with leaves and pine straw and put it on a table outside exposed to the Georgia elements. This was in October, and I didn’t expect to see anything until at least March. But as you can see they have started coming up. Do I need to shelter them or can they be left outside.

Thanks,

Brad

I am guessing these seedlings are in a container and not planted in the ground? If so, they might need protection if temps drop low enough.....JM roots can be damaged at 25F. Otherwise, they could just be left outside with a decent cover of mulch. Just keep an eye out for any serious cold snaps.

• val rie (7a)

I'd wrap the container with a clear plastic bag (Home Depot, clear large leaf bags). Keep it slightly open at the top. Use sticks if you don't want it to collapse from the wind.