Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Brightside Cream surprise

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This one surprised me...so it’s a bit overblown, but I’m just thrilled to see it blooming. Like many of you have commented, being a climber it’s been a little stingy with blooms until now. In the ground almost two years now. Super-clean foliage with no spray. :-)


There are lots of buds so more blooms on their way. And the fragrance is lovely; I detect a bit of citrus along with tea. Quite heavenly. :-)

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    Many climbers take three years to get going, so blooming reasonably well at two years is quite respectable, and it has a pretty bloom. The closest I've come to this rose is having Westside Road Cream Tea in my garden, but I'm glad someone is growing this beauty too.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Comtesse—-I think if it’s this froo-frooy it’s got to be a “she”! And I think she must have some tea in her background, with the size of her blooms and her fragrance. She’s a Bermuda rose, from the Brightside Estate. Right now, she’s a gangling thing with 7-8 ft. canes in all directions. Here are a few more shots of her; such a pretty apple-green leaf.

    Her blloms are in little clusters of four five:


    With reddish new growth:



  • 7 years ago

    And creamy little buds:

    And I’m with you; something about these cream-colored roses makes me want to eat them. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    I have Westside Road Cream Tea as well Ingrid—she’s a petite beauty right now. There’s just something very dreamy about the creamy white and green combination. I love these creamy blooms! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Comtesse, you have me hungry for something sweet and creamy now, too! I do have cream in the fridge that really ought to be whipped and used for something.........

    Perma, she’s a beauty! Not only are her fluffy blooms lovely, but I can’t get over how clean her foliage is! What immaculate, gorgeous, green leaves your Brightside Cream has. I’m especially impressed, with you being in FL. It’s obviously very suited to your climate to look so healthy and clean w/o spraying. Whatever your doing, keep doing it. Your roses look so happy and healthy.

    I too, love those creamy blooms. It’s the sort of color that goes with everything. I have finally stopped worrying about planting cream and white roses near each other. They all vary so much during different times of the year, that it’s not “off” looking. I should have realized sooner that the greens and other colored flowers would help blend them in the landscape. I was struggling with putting the “creams near the whites”, but I was thinking more from a clothing viewpoint. Once I got the “white w/ off-white clothing mentality” out of my head, I started mixing them.

    Have you cut any for indoors? Just curious how she does cut. She’s so pretty. Thanks for sharing her with us! Lisa


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    It is a scrumptious Tea Rose, I love the color and elegance to the bloom. I, too, like whipped cream, ice cream and sugar confections.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago
    isn't, she is beautiful ? I heard great reviews about this rose. It does really well here in FL.
    Perma, look at those buds. Wow, you are gonna have tons of blooms. So exciting !! It looks so green and so clean too :)
    Beautiful !!

    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Lisa! I know exactly what you mean about the whites & creams. I think there is something about the green that blends it all together. I haven’t cut any BCs yet, but I’m about to, so I’ll let you know.

    Thank you, Jin! I’m excited to see what she looks like when all these clusters start opening. And some of the HPs and Bourbons look dreadful right now, so it’s encouraging to see healthy green Somewhere. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Here is Brightside Cream in the Florida Southern College garden, last May. Once it gets going, it flowers pretty much constantly. That is an 8-foot-tall arch. The other rose on it is Nur Mahal.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked malcolm_manners
  • 7 years ago
    Malcolm has it....Malcolm it is so big now. Malcolm which month is the prunings..I just can't wait to be there
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    Perma you have to go there... Dr. Malcom has so many varieties and it breaks my heart to cut the blooms but you can smell them, see them, get prick by them. It is nothing like any gardens here in FL. It is very educational day at school. I learn so much from Dr. Malcolm .
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Wow! Dr. Manners, that is gorgeous! Is that two BCs, or is that is different cream rose on the opposite side of the arch? You are absolutely right Jin—-I need to see this garden. Gotta squeeze in a road trip sometime. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Two plants of BSC. One on each side of the arch. FSC's big pruning day is February 9. You are invited!


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked malcolm_manners
  • 7 years ago
    Wahoo.. I can't wait. Thanks Dr. Manners. I will be there for sure. I am putting in my request day of today. So super excited !!
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)