Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Starting out with wok cooking... what type? wok ring?

DrB477
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

With my new kitchen have been (mostly successfully) broadening my culinary skills. It's more of a practical life skill than a passion, but I generally enjoy it. Work full time (and then some) with 3 kids so time is at a premium and often have to settle on "good enough" rather than perfection when it comes to cooking (which I'm okay with, at least for now). One of my new year goals is to further expand into more family dinners, kids like Chinese and Thai takeout so looking to experiment some in that category. I don't have a wok. Never used one. People here seem pretty passionate about the topic. I assume I want one if I'm doing Asian style cooking? What should I start with? Carbon steel or Cast iron? Flat bottom or round? Do I really need a wok ring? If so do I need the $200 (!!!) one specific for my Thermador range or would a $25 generic one from amazon fit the bill?

Comments (9)

• Fori
    5 years ago

Cheap carbon steel (CI is too heavy and doesn't heat up or cool down fast enough). Get one with a long handle only if you have space to store it.

Put a round-bottomed bowl on your biggest burner and see how unstable it is. You might not need a ring. For sure try the Amazon ring (all of them, if you have to!) and keep returning them until one fits.

And check out the cooking forum!!

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/cooking

• TXSkeeter
    5 years ago

If I might offer a downside to using a ring between a round bottom wok and a gas burner... If used often enough with high heat, the stovetop area within the ring begins to degrade, stain and in some cases warp somewhat since there is nowhere for excess heat to go except to be absorbed back into the stovetop surface.

I have several woks of different materials and sizes and when using inside, I prefer my nonstick anodized aluminum flat bottom wok which will sit squarely above (gas) or directly on top of an electric burner. (Seems like there should be a comma or two in there but don't know where they'd go!) I also have a couple of steel woks, one perforated and one large round bottom with no holes that I use on my outside grill.

If I was in the market for a wok, my first choice would be flat bottomed as you can use it on just about any surface except the blowtorch style stovetops you find in an oriental style kitchen or restaurant. Wok material is best left to your own situation but would note here that personally, I wouldn't spend a load of money on a pan that is particular to a cooking style that you may or may not be attracted to after a few meals. Woks can be had for dirt cheap to extremely expensive so even though a carbon steel wok may be the least expensive and have a tiny bit more maintenance, its probably the best starter pot unless you're one that likes to show off your cookware. Although I've seen cast iron woks, they seem very heavy (weight wise) compared to other materials.

As noted above though, cooking items in a wok can also be accomplished just as easily in almost any cooking pan of suitable style, height and weight. It might be advisable to try the method first, adapt to the different cooking style it presents, and then add another pan to your collection only after you see if it meets your expectations. Some of us may have limited storage area for cooking pots and pans and from experience, I know that in general, a wok of any style is not usually an everyday cooking accessory unless you really want or need it to be.

• wekick
    5 years ago

I posted this three days ago but I don't think it showed up and was not counted as a comment for some reason.

___

Call and talk to Tane Chan at the Wok Shop.

http://www.wokshop.com

I would also also recommend any books by Grace Young. She wrote the Time Life books on Aisian cooking and continues with her books today.

https://www.graceyoung.com/cookbooks/

She he also has a FB page called Wok Wednesday where she will answer questions. She is an amazing person.

---

I have an inexpensive carbon steel wok and like it pretty well. it balances pretty well so I don't use the ring much. Flat bottom woks work well for some. If you use high heat, nonstick coatings may not hold up. I like a seasoned surface.

• DrB477
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I bought a $40 steel wok and a $25 cast iron ring on amazon so we shall see!

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/

Pailin is wonderful, very likable and knows everything about Thai cooking. Her cookbook is great and she has tons of free youtube videos. She also has lists for the best tools/ingredients etc... I bought the carbon steel wok recommended by her and love it! I used to have a cast iron one and it took forever to heat, and would not react quickly enough to anything. Good luck and have fun!

• DrB477
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So got this wok ring

K&H Gas Cooktop Black Cast Iron Wok Support Ring

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HR47PNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And works good enough on my Thermador steam range. It's not a perfect fit, but good enough for $200 less. First wok meal (bean thread noodle stir fry) was a success, it was pretty comparable to our favorite Thai place.

• eandhl2
    5 years ago

Webstaurant store has good deals on woks.

• Joe T.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Webstaurant store has good deals on woks.

I can vouch for this place. I have quite a bit of gear from 'em.

I've got both cast iron and carbon steel woks. I prefer the carbon steel. I also have a Thermador cooktop, and balked at the price of their wok ring, but found one NIB on ebay for $30.

As for possible damage to the cooktop from cooking on blasting high heat for a long period of time, I get the wok ring glowing red, but when I'm done, the cooktop surface itself is touchable.

Edit: Sorry-- old age-- I have a Dacor cooktop. My ovens are Thermador.