Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

It's "Orange Smith" :-)

7 years ago


I love "Orange Smith"!

Very likely a minor sport of 'Archduke Charles'.

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.40628

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    What a lovely rose, Jeri! I went to HMF, thinking I’d see some pictures of ‘Orange Smith’ blooms during different temperatures showing blooms with a more orange or peach cast to them. I thought perhaps this bloom was an anomaly. Now I realize that the man’s name in the cemetery was truly named “Orange Smith”. What an unusual name for a man, especially born in 1825(?). It would be so interesting to know how Mrs. Smith came to name her baby boy “Orange”. Maybe it was a family last name? These days folks name their children all sorts of unique names, but not so much back then. It makes me think it might have been his mother’s maiden name, or a relative’s last name. Do you know, Jeri? Lisa

  • 7 years ago
    Lisa, I absolutely love the way you think. Yeah, what a name ? When I first saw the thread title and saw the rose.I wondering why such a beautiful pink rose picture was named Orange.
    I don't know what's up with all the links. I click on all the HMF links posted in so many threads but I get a web page not found as of a few weeks ago. It is annoying now I have to literally go to HMF to look it up.
    Jeri, what a beautiful rose :)
    jin
  • 7 years ago

    In my opinion, better than 'Archduke Charles', foliage- and flower-wise, at least. I have both and this one always has more and better-looking foliage, as well as being more floriferous. But maybe 'Archduke Charles' just doesn't like the side of the yard he's or his clone wasn't the best.

  • 7 years ago

    Catspat -- I agree with you completely. For me, "Orange Smith" is hands-down better than 'Archduke Charles'. How nice for me!

    Yes. Orange Smith was a Civil War veteran from ?Pennsylvania?. I'd bet money that his mother was a Miss Orange, before her marriage. And people who descend from the House of Orange (Oranje Menaje) are justly proud of their heritage.

    House of Orange, princely dynasty that derived its name from the medieval principality of Orange, in old Provence in southern France. The dynasty was important in the history of the Netherlands and is that nation’s royal family.

    Some of you know that I am "doggy."

    The first Afghan Hounds I ever met were descended from the "Von de Oranje Menaje" [VDOM] line. http://www.etapauptit.com/history.html

    So, the name "Orange Smith" made perfect sense to me, and it didn't occur to me at the time that it might confuse the heck out of people.

  • 7 years ago

    My first thought on seeing the photo was also that this rose was more beautiful than Archduke Charles. How lovely that you have him in your garden, Jeri.

    jerijen thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Have one languishing amongst Charles Austin roses, didn’t know what it was! Bought as a band a few years ago, time to move it where it will thrive! Nice prose and picture Jeri

  • 7 years ago

    Here are some other looks at it:





  • 7 years ago

    A couple more . . .

  • 7 years ago

    Now that is a variable rose!


  • 7 years ago
    Is it variable to weather? Can you elaborate more on the colour change ?
    Thanks !
    jin
  • 7 years ago

    Jin -- It opens with the outer petals red, but the inner ones soft pink. As the bloom continues to open, that soft pink begins to darken, and the bloom ends blood red:

    It's phototropism . . . A response by the plant to sunlight.

    'Archduke Charles' does it And many other China Roses do it. It's what changes the color on the modern climber, 'Joseph's Coat.'

    'Yuki's Dream' -- collected in China -- does it.

    "The China From Adina" does it.

  • 7 years ago

    Many of the tea roses also do it, Mme. Lambard, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Le Vesuve, Rosette Delizy, Mrs. Dudley Cross, and of course they have China blood in their make-up.