Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hwlatina

help need budget friendly ideas

hwlatina
5 years ago
Help looking for ideas definitely will be painting walls and changing molding want to take out drop ceiling but want to do something inexpensive it’s for a bedroom was planning on sheet rock but hubby doesn’t want more work than he already has any ideas ?

Comments (20)

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Whats above the drop ceiling? Are you planning on keeping the paneling ?

• hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not sure what’s above the drop ceiling but i think it’s a crawl space the paneling is only on one side of a wall which has a sliding pocket door to close the room and top it of the walls have that popcorn texture but it’s cement like hard which we can paint and it would look ok for now to much work to scrap off and to gut the entire room is not possible at the moment
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Is this in a basement?

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Keep the focus on the rest of the room and no one will notice the ceiling. In any bedroom,the bed itself,because it is such a large plane, can easily distract from a less than perfect ceiling. Have you decided on the bedding? The general mood, a colour? And honestly,I would probably just paint that bit of molding to match the wall colour. Don't skip putting on primer,it is cheaper than the paint and will give you both a clean slate to plan on and a better final result.

• PRO
    Coastal Radiance Lighting
    5 years ago

I would paint the ceiling and trim the same color as the walls, with one wall behind the bed, perhaps, as an accent wall in a darker hue of the same color or complimentary color.

Spend a bit of effort on pizzazzing up the bed, maybe with a dramatic padded headboard (easy DIY) and pillows and the ceiling will go unnoticed.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Please make sure this room has an egress window for an escape in case of fire.

I definitely think removing the drop ceiling and installing drywall will vastly improve the look of the space.
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

Why do you want to take out the drop ceiling?

• hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @pinkpeony no it’s not a basement
  • hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ emmarene9 not to fond of drop ceilings and the look
  • hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @bribosh yes this room has a window it’s pretty large
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Okay then i would start by replacing the ceiling tiles. Lowes and Homedept sell some that look like a pretty Moulding. They come in different sizing. Usually they have them in stock too. I’d keep everything fresh and white since you have the panellingOn the wall. If that panelling on one wall? If so can you place the bed against that wall so it looks like an intentional feature wall? Beef up the crownlike you planned. One youget the new ceiling tiles the nicer crown will tie in. What colors are you thinking of for bedding ? Furniture?

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Also is there a way we can get a couple pictures of the overall room ? Just the ceiling doesn’t really help us help you.

• hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @peonypink the room is a mess getting things out that’s why i didn’t post the entire room will update once started the process thank you for your suggestions
  • seabornman
    5 years ago

My guess is that there is wood lath above the ceiling and the tiles are stapled to the lath. It starts at one end and each tile that's installed covers up the last tile's staples. Of all the solutions proposed, sheetrock is the cheapest and fastest. If hubby doesn't want that, leave it and focus on the rest of the room.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I wrote a detailed response and it just doesn't show up for some reason...the short version:

The tiles should be glued or stapled or both (as seabornman says)...I don't see a dropped ceiling here, but you can get up there and push on a few tiles to see if there's any movement...if not, it still removable, but time consuming. A lot of scraping will have to be done, if it's glued, and you won't have a perfect surface, but at least you'll have a surface that you can attach drywall or beadboard or whatever you want, to.

Anyway, diy removal is free, so that's in your budget.

The paneling would be the same...if it sounds hollow when you knock on it, it's probably just tacked up and will pull right off. Again, that's free.

The molding looks to be plastic, which is what was used with the thin paneling in the 70's. It's not worth anything and will come down easily.

You'll have a beautiful room with a bit of effort and it will be done right.

So, if I were you, I would attack it with gusto...

• hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @pennydesign thank your advise
    FYI the molding is wood not plastic, the walls are stucco, the paneling is only on one side of the room and it’s white its put together for a sliding pocket door which looks ok
    Its the ceiling which drives me crazy but im going to start the DIY soon think we are going with the sheet rock thank you again
  • hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Update we t with the Sheetrock will post the after pic soon
  • hwlatina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is the results almost done thank you all for your suggestions we went removing the drop ceiling and added crown molding moved the lighting and added a chandelier still making updates
  • User
    5 years ago

Very nicely done!

I bet you're so happy with that ceiling gone...