Software
Houzz Logo Print
magtop

Painting vinyl siding

7 years ago
Hey Houzzers, I’m looking for input on changing the color of our existing siding. It is in very good shape and we don’t have the money in the budget to have new siding installed anyway.
I know there are some paints out there now that have been specifically designed for use on things like vinyl/plastic but I’m wondering if anyone out there, homeowner or pro, has actually used that kind of paint and what the results were.
Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments (6)

  • 5 years ago

    We are faced with the same situation now. I'd love to hear more from other folks! I hope others can weigh in. The search for more reviews of this type of project continues. :)

  • 5 years ago

    I originally posted asking advice on painting siding and ended up using the SW product specially designed for painting vinyl siding. It was very good quality and easy to work with as long as you’re a relatively experienced painter as you cannot get good results if you paint too slowly and don’t know how to get a smooth finish.
    That being said I painted our siding to match two out buildings, a shed and auxiliary garage, and it looks very good. Also we live in the Midwest with severe winter weather and it has held up nicely.
    So far I can say I’m glad I did it. The bland old ranch house has depth and personality and we’ve received rave reviews from neighbors and friends!

  • 5 years ago

    @Margaret Crisman Thanks for the update! Did you use a darker color paint than the original color of the vinyl? I've read it's bad to go darker with paint as it can cause the vinyl to warp... but these specialty vinyl paints are supposed to allow you to paint a darker color without this problem occurring.

  • 5 years ago

    I went from a light beige to a dark grey and the results were fantastic. Our ranch home was “blond” brick with all beige siding and trim when we purchased it in 2004. While it wasn’t horrible I always wanted a deeper color and lots more contrast so when we had a second garage built I decided to take a leap of faith and have it done with the color scheme I’d had in mind for the house. That “forced” me to commit to changing not only the color of the siding but I also decide to paint the brick. To say we were pleased with the finished results is an understatement. It’s been an absolute transformation! To be truthful, it was a LOT of work but I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Every neighbor around us has stopped by to compliment on the results. It’s a different house!

  • 5 years ago

    @Margaret Crisman That's fantastic! I probably won't make as dramatic of a change as you did (I'm too much of a wimp! I wish I had the courage because your's sounds amazing!). But ours is currently stark white, so *anything* I choose will be "darker" and I am so paranoid I'm going to ruin/warp the siding. lol But your post gives me more confidence!