Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

OT: Lavender for non-Mediterranean climates

Just saw my favorite lavender on sale:

https://www.americanmeadows.com/perennials/lavender/lavender-phenomenal

I was so happy with how this one performed. A great variety for humid climates. :-)

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    I'm hearing about this one more and more, it's becoming popular over here as well and is offered by almost everyone it seems.. I do love the intermedia types.. I have a similar one called 'Gros Bleu'.. which is dark purple...

    People think you can't grow these with roses, but you can actually if your soil is exceptionally well drained, and quite close to the base, as they don't object to some composted manure reaching their root area...

    I shall want to give this one a try when I see it this Spring...

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    This is ONLY lavender I can keep alive more than a year in FL. If I hadn’t grown so many varieties and fallen in love with lavender in CA, I wouldn’t even try it here, but I’m so crazy about the fragrance. They are medicinal, too, and add chemical benefits to the soil they are planted in. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    I did not even look at their email. I saw it was woodland sale but i have to wait. Last time it was bulbs on sale.
    I love lavender but it was frustrating that it won't grow like you said. Thank you for posting it.
    I have to be on wait list for daffodils . I basically had 5 or 6 request of bags of daffodils.
    Marlorena, I still check what grows in Mediterranean and also on Canary Islands so I can Google like foxgloves you had. only that type grows here and some nursery like Bluestone ( think ) offers it also.
    But I don't know why I am dragging this so long like getting them now.
    I still have two box windows empty still debating what to get.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    Perma, when I do get the bulbs, I will send you some. I think 1 bag has 25, another is 50 but they are out of stock. All mixed . one of them is also scented. So, cross fingers :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Jin, that Canary Islands Foxglove did not survive my winter... it cost a lot of money too, so I have learnt my lesson.. pity, as I did like it...

    ..upside... I planted a rose in its place...

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    So sorry to hear that , Marlorena. Your garden is so beautiful. I still love it.
    Perma, I think I am going to order that lavender. I keep thinking of it ever since I laid my eyes on it before the sale is over. When I get home I placing an order. Thank you again.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Goodwin Creek Gardens has a nice article about all the different types of lavender, and which to try depending on your conditions. See below.


    http://www.goodwincreekgardens.com/article.asp?specific=6


    :-)


    ~Christopher

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Jin for reminding me about daffodils! And I think you’ll like that lavender...I‘m afraid I don’t have any pictures of it, because I kept shearing it for all the flowers. It was so wonderfully fragrant. :-)

    Great article on lavender Christopher! I saved it for my files. I liked how they explained the different kinds. It makes me want to try Spanish lavender again. Thank you! :-)

  • 7 years ago
    Yeah, Chris, thanks for the nursery. I found lavender under the hot and humid that definitely categorize ME...hahaha and also Perma and many others. Jasmin, SoFl and Pink rose are you guys here ??
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    Perma, I think I am not going to order. I just got do frustrated trying to buy other flowers which I realized was basically all sold out.
    I was looking at Dianthus, Asters and so many others....maybe next sale.
    Let me know how your lavender grows in FL.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    Roselady, your lavender and flowers looks great. I love your garden. It's beautiful. Now, I wish I have more space in my back and front yard but I know I will be in a same boat thinking for a long, long time planning of flowers bed which I am really bad . For me that is very challenging. I am not a Gardener but looking at everyone's teaches me a thing or 2.
    I remember the climbing rose you planted by the tree. I sure wish it will bloom cause I am dying to see the blooms and how it looks.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    I think you are being very smart, Jin, to wait until you are really ready. I remember some years ago I went overboard with buying plants, and it just became no fun anymore—just another task for me to worry about. The right time will present itself and you’ll get there—much happier for having been wise and strategic. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Actually, to be honest I noticed my roses are growing faster and if I have planted something in front it would have bump completely. Like an example would be Dutcher and Dutchess de Brabant. They both have tons of room. I know I space them 6 feet but I think I did a little more. They are growing wide in every direction.
    I think I need to research on plants that grow well with roses and not competing with food also.
    I have to look at humidity, the soil like it can get so complicated that I don't know if I am doing overboard or overreacting if you know what I mean.
    oh, I got this at Lowe's. Figure you might check it out there. They have paperwhites and other bulbs.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)