0
ligita_krasauskaite

Need help furnishing and decorating log cabin

Ligita Krasauskaite

Hi, We just bought an older log cabin and are in the process of updating it. I need help furnishing and decorating the living room and the bedrooms. I feel like there is too much wood in the whole house (the log walls, wood ceiling and the oak floor is almost in every room). I picked a Petra Slate Horizon tile (see in the picture) to cool down the orange color of wood. I was planning to tile the kitchen and the sun room with the Horizon tile. I do not know what colors and accessories to bring to this log cabin so it has a cozy mountain feel, but at the same time is a little bit modern. I guess i am looking for a modern/lodge style if it exists. Any help and advise from professionals is very appreciated. Please see the pictures.

Comments (1.7K)

• Ligita Krasauskaite

Thank you! I am very happy with all my purchases and relieved that the "pillow fight" is behind us. Can't wait for all the pillows to come!

I only have one antler lamp. I will set up the SR with the all the furniture (sofa, Lex tables, rug, trunk table, and antler lamp) this weekend and see how everything is looking together. I will probably order the second lamp over the weekend. I will also think about re-coating Lex tables to make them a darker color like your friend have suggested. I just need to spend more time researching how to do it or find the right professional who would do it for me.

Thanks for rearranging my new Art IB. Again, I am happy with what I purchased so far but I don't see many (any) viable options for SR, kitchen or DR walls in the my IB. I will keep working on that.

• Ligita Krasauskaite

Thanks Kjoy! This is cute! It think the width will be good but not sure if 24"H won't be too short. I will blue these pictures on Saturday.

• Ligita Krasauskaite

Is this a good idea for a dining table center piece? I like it because it is easy to move around and change the decor depending on the season. 31W x 14D x 2H

• tedbixby

I think the size will be good. I like the style. My only concern is that it may be a bit dark against the dark table but if you are mindful to keep the decor mainly light or colorful I think it could be a nice centerpiece while giving you a lot of options to decorate. I sketched it to give you a visual.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Thank you for the sketch. I did not think about it, but do I need a runner on the table? I am going to C&B to pick up the tray and could look at the runners if I need one.

• tedbixby

When I mentioned "decor" I was referring to what you put into it needs to be light or colorful.

Table runner..hmm. I guess if you left it on there when it is rented out, it might help that people will be more considerate of the table and will think a bit about what and where they put stuff down on it. Do you have placemats and will you have a place to store them easily for the renters to find them?

Have you thought of putting together any help type of booklet for the renters? It could include things to do in the area (sunny and rainy days) but also helpful hints such as where the placemats are-lol...

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

I have a 13ft W x 8ft H wall going from LR to the bedrooms and was thinking about a long piece of art there. The blue taped area is 6'W x 4.5'H. There is a window across this wall. I like the metal horses a lot and I could frame them in alder frame and paint the frame in one of the rug colors.

Horses

Rug for hallway

• tedbixby

I sketched it just for a visual. If the size of the art on it's own looks ok on the wall once you get it up there, I wouldn't mess with putting a frame around it. Also, I think the green color looks like it is neutral enough to go with the rug which would be good if you didn't have to paint it so it doesn't look so matchy-match. Since you like ALOT, I'd go for it. As you should like your art ALOT :)

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
    This is my favorite thread to follow. I love to catch up every night. I think the work you and Ted have put into it along the way has been incredible. And I love KJoy’s sketches! I’m so eager to see the finished cabin and her pictures look so real, it’s crazy. By the way, I love the dark trim and the contrast it provides. I’m amazed by the progress of it all and just wanted to pop in to say that and I’ll go back to following along quietly now :)
    Ligita Krasauskaite thanked HU-295535458
  • tedbixby

Thank you Hu for your kind words. They are appreciated and I, too, can't wait to see the final results of the cabin but will be sad when it is done as I have had a lot of joy working with Ligita and helping her make her cabin a home.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Thank you everyone for your ideas and support! I had so much fun decorating this house and am so happy with all the progress we've made. We will be assembling the furniture this weekend and I will post more photos.

Ted - you are an amazing person! You worked tirelessly and cared
    about how the cabin looks more than I ever did. You elevated my “whatever”
    style to a total perfection! I learned so much from you and can't thank you enough for everything you did!

• tedbixby

Thank you Ligita. Its' been my pleasure but we aren't done yet as you now know that I've messed you up to becoming a decorator perfectionist. And I'll warn you, you'll never look at an oversized brown faux leather sofa the same again-lol...

So I hope what you are saying is that you will be assembling the furniture this week-end and that it will be going in place? If so, I will be over the moon as I'll be able to see it before I leave for my trip next week. Happy dance....

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Yes, we are taking the furniture on Saturday and I am hoping that we assemble most of it over the weekend. The mattresses are coming on Tuesday but due to my work schedule, I won't be able to set up the beds until Thursday. You will see a lot before you leave but also you will have plenty mistakes to fix when you come back :)

I did not buy the black center piece at C&B. It was too big, too heavy, too expensive ($165 with tax). I would need to spend another $100 to fill it up with candles or other decor. Also, I don't want to pay about $200 for 2 hurricanes for the island form BL. Do we have a cheaper option for the island decor? What about just having my fruit bowl and maybe fresh flowers?

• tedbixby

You can try the red bowl on the island. My only concern is that the red may clash with the orange in the perimeter counter top but since the bowl isn't sitting directly on it it may be fine. I'd start there and then if we need to go in a different direction we can. Have you looked recently at TJ Maxx or Home Goods for candle sticks/hurricane or a vessel of some sort for the DR table?

Looks like Hobby Lobby has a sale on the fake fruits & vegetables right now.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Floral-Wedding/Floral-Supplies/Faux-Food/Mixed-Fruit/p/80865674

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Floral-Wedding/Floral-Supplies/Faux-Food/Mixed-Veggies/p/80865707?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZvlBRBbEiwANw9UWgkbgp3n-F3A3JKvHVfjdpUDVRNCL64ev9dcX9RBa89IRHIX-rqwERoCz1IQAvD_BwE

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby

Don't forget that you have those 2 domed pieces that might also work on the island.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Thank you. I forgot about my domed pieces. I will use them on the kitchen island with the red bowl.

Are you still planning to surprise me with the faux fur blanket and pillows for MB? I purchased this exact set with the yellow quilt.

• tedbixby

I'm guessing that the red bowl and dome pieces aren't going to compliment each other but it doesn't hurt to try. I might be pleasantly surprised :)

Dang, I forgot about the pillow and faux fur...

As far as the pillows on the bed. Are you thinking of doing exactly what the photo shows? Are you thinking of using that one pillow that keeps showing up in your photos.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

I was thinking to do the same set up as in the picture and I would also use the blue pillow i have

and I also have 3 of these euro pillows at home. You will probably say "no" to these. It was one of the first purchases for the lodge. I bought them over the holidays before we even closed on the mountain house, thinking that this linen color will work with anything :)

• tedbixby

Oh yes- the "will work with everything" thought. And then it doesn't! I think we should wait til you get the bed made and see if we need to do anything.

I was thinking about the MB dresser. Do you know if this dresser is still available? Sorry for the poor photo as I didn't see it on it's own in your IB.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

No, this dresser is not available. I contacted the seller multiple times but they never responded. I will set up my bed with the navy bedding tonight and see what else we are missing.

• tedbixby

OK. We'll get it figured out. From what I could find, the MB bed and night stands were part of the Newport collection which was available in 2004. Charish has the QUEEN bed for sale for $2300. You scored on this buy:)

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

I thought that the bed was called Somerset. It is still available on EA website but I do not want to pay EA prices.

• tedbixby

Oh, I'll have to go look. Either way, you still scored :)!

I relooked at the one on Charish. I think they made a mistake as it looks like your Somerset. Thanks for letting me know as it helps in my search.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

This was our emergency option from AFW. DO you still like it?

• Ligita Krasauskaite

I am sorry, but I changed my mind on the GB dresser. I never blue taped it in the room but I think that it might be too big with 2 queen beds and 2 sliding barn doors behind it. I decided to set up the beds first and see how much space I have left for a dresser. I think, I'd prefer to have a smaller table to put the TV on and not the full size dresser in GB. If I have enough space and can buy the white dresser the same day.

• tedbixby

Do you know if it is on the showroom floor? If so, you could take a drawer from the night stand and see if the stains compliment each other. It's not bad and better than others you have recently show though it is still a bit casual.

I just ate a whole sleeve of Mint Girl Scout cookies in 15 min.. thanks Girl Scouts for not making me feel guilty for eating them since my purchase of 5 boxes were going for a good cause. But dang, it is way too easy to eat a whole sleeve. And I don't think I'm the only one that does this in one sitting?

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby

I think you are doing the right thing of waiting on the GB dresser until you get the beds in there. Especially since you aren't sure of it fitting. Am I right to guess that the closet is a walk-in with some shelving so a dresser isn't really needed?

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Yes, there is a walk in closet with shelving but I still need a little table for the TV. It can not be on the wall because of the sliding barn doors.

Do not worry, you are no the only one who can eat the whole sleeve of the mint cookies. We used to eat bags, not just sleeves per day in the office. Mint and the coconut are my favorites!

• Ligita Krasauskaite

What do you think about something like this for GB TV table for not so "matchy matchy" look?

• tedbixby

Now you are thinking like a decorator. Much more interesting than matchy, matchy. I'm on board with this line of thinking for the GB. And I like this piece as it has has some drawers to it and has that "rustic" feel to it like the beds.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked tedbixby
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Now we just need to find one under $300 :)

• Ligita Krasauskaite

WIP - sunroom! ♥♥♥

• Ligita Krasauskaite

LR - So excited to see how everything is coming together!!!

• kjoy1

Fabulous!!! You and Ted should feel proud! Nitpicking - all artwork needs to come down a tad;) Haha. Good job guys:)

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • kjoy1

Love the pillows:)

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Thank you!!! I will lower the horse painting when I am by myself. I had my mother in law telling me where to hang it and I didn't want to argue with her too much. It was even higher and I made them lower by one log.

I still have two blank kitchen walls. Any ideas what I need to do here?

• kjoy1

Horse and bear put somewhere?

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • Ligita Krasauskaite
    Horse is in DR and bear is in GB
  • shwshw

I particularly like the gold pillows with the buffalo plaid. And, everything else looks great too!

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked shwshw
  • kjoy1

Maybe a bar/coffee cart...

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • kjoy1

Saw this dresser in your ideabook...don’t know the dimensions but think it could look good in the kitchen as well...mimics the backsplash.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1

We are Hadley Rose a luxury home furnishing brand offering designer luxury furniture, lighting, textiles, décor, luxury outdoor furniture & bespoke furniture. Please see our website for more information https://www.hadleyrose.co.uk/

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked HU-705385261
  • kjoy1

This one looks nice...if it fits...

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • kjoy1

This is an Uttermost piece...I just like the coloring of the frame...

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Kjoy - thank you for the sketches! I love the gray frame too but I am not sure I like the scull...

The size of the moose painting fits perfectly in the LR. I was thinking to buy it and see how it looks in the house.

I don't know what I want to do with the empty kitchen wall. I like how the bar cart looks in there but I am not sure if I want to give this option to the renters to drive around the house with the drink cart. Also, I don't know if this would be a good space for a desk, but I would like to have some work/office area to set up my laptop instead of working at the dining table.

• kjoy1

Ok. No worries. Just throwing out ideas at you:) I will continue to ponder that kitchen wall. I think the moose is definitely worth trying.

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

I am working on M bedding, bath rugs and towels right now. I do not like the yellow quilt for M bedding i have. I ordered new quilts in ivory/beige colors from Macy's to see if they might work better with the navy duvet cover and pillow cases.

Please post all your ideas for any part of the house as they are very helpful to me. Ted is on vacation and I need as much guidance as possible with the final details from all of you! Thank you!

This is my current color combination for M bed.

• kjoy1

What?!? Ted is on vacation...he/she is not allowed to do that! I guess I am just super jealous...this is what is happening at my house today...

Ligita Krasauskaite thanked kjoy1
  • Ligita Krasauskaite

Kjoy - same happening in CO. I guess we both got hit by the same snow storm.

• pat1250
    Following