0

please help! need kitchen design ideas for remodel

Katie Smith
Looking to completely remodel the kitchen. We are open to closing off the slider and making it a window to open up the kitchen to allow an island. Need to know if that’s the best move because we won’t be able to utilize the wall with the oven due to the space and make it to code. I’m really torn on what to do with kitchen. do we have an island or a galley? the wall with the arch will be turned into a Pony wall and a countertop on the other side because that’s an entertainment room with another large slider. Please help with design ideas!

• rantontoo

We need more info....

Where does the 30” doorway go?

Do you need table seating in this space or is a nearby dining room going to be used?

Would you prefer a penisula or island...with or without seating?

That oven wall is not a sraight wall, but your diagram shows it is....please confirm this area. Bases on supplied measurements, I thought you could fit an island but what I see and what you drew are not the same thing.

I am confused about oven, wall, and code???

Can you draw a rough sketch of rooms, hallways, closets, doorways so we can see the traffic flows and how kitchen relates to the rest of the house?

Mighty Mike's Home Makeovers

Just thinking quickly...

- In general, remove all cabinets and soffits and replace with taller cabinets. Remove the old recessed fluorescent lighting and replace kitchen lighting with a series of ceiling flush mount LED lights around the cabinet front perimeter. The "look like recessed lights" will be sharp and very energy efficient.

- Completely remove the cooktop island and soffit cabinets.

- Plan on closing up the slider wall and add a small window (to give you lighting in your new pantry, Yup!?) and now extending the kitchen a foot or two into that dinette space (about 1/3rd into the slider) construct a wall that becomes the other end of the kitchen. BUT plan on a walk-in pantry to consume the rest of that dinette space between the new kitchen wall and that arched wall. Give the pantry a pass through access from both the kitchen and from the family room. If your clever enough on space you could even consider adding the washer/dryer in this pantry as well and it would be a great room to meet your family's needs coming in and out of the house from the family room slider?

- In the recessed wall section across from the kitchen window sink remove everything and rethink the depth? Forget about the island (I'll explain later) Again boot the soffits and cabinets and remove the wall ovens completely, then move the fridge over there making it the first appliance on the left with cabinets above it followed by tall cabinets along the rest of the recess all the way across to the right (convert a couple of those upper cabinets to have glass or mirrored panel doors for more open look). As for base cabinets install a row of base cabinets that are as deep as the refrigerator along the rest of the recess to the right. This will make a very large food prep surface as that counter top will be 34" deep that will seem like an island because the counters will be deeper there than traditional along this recessed section and protrude almost 10" more into the kitchen making it feel like you don't need an island!

- Next install the wall ovens and cabinetry where the first 1/3rd of where the slider would have been (close to your new kitchen pantry wall). Then where the fridge used to be you will now arrange those base cabinets to accept your cooktop and new stand alone vent.

- The Dishwasher and sink can stay where it is.

- With this arrangement you wont need an island because you will essentially you've made your kitchen slightly longer and added much more cabinet countertop space and storage for that matter on 3 sides of the kitchen as well as having a new pantry which will be about 6' x 10'ish sandwiched between the kitchen and family room. Your flow to all appliances and traffic through the kitchen will be addressed and your kitchen floor space will be nice and open and bright. The window in the pantry will make it feel cozy as well!

Good Luck!

Mike

Mighty Mike's Home Makeovers!

• Katie Smith
    rantontoo - the dimensions was the first idea we had but I’m sure I’m sold on it. I would want an island that can have 2-4 seats at it. The formal dining room is right next to kitchen so don’t need another dining set and just can sit at island.

Mike - thank you so much for great ideas! I’m having a hard time picturing the layout and pantry. Can you explain a little more or a picture? Thank you!!!
  • Sandra Martin

Is the area with the table and chairs included in your measurments above? Could you please post a few inspiration pictures of islands and kitchens that you like?

• Katie Smith

Rye Renovation · More Info

• Sandra Martin

Very nice, clean lines, bright, modern and timeless. Looks like you could do that pretty much in reverse order.. the backsplash isn’t my favorite because of the size of the tile, but that is me. Maybe one of the pros could draw it out here on caD or? I’ll try later on a sheet of paper and take a photo for you.

• Katie Smith

I would love that! Any help would be amazing! Thank you Sandra!!!

Mighty Mike's Home Makeovers

Your Pantry would be next room leaving the kitchen towards your family room! It can be configured how you need to based on your large entryway, and this pass-through doorway.

I used your dimensions to create this kitchen. As might imagine an Island just gives it a slightly more crowded feel, unless you wanted a non-fixed island, like a piece of furniture that wasnt too large, which wouldnt be too bad I suppose!

Mike

• Sandra Martin

Wow, mighty mike! I won’t need to do my amateur drawn mock up, as it wouldnt even be to scale, let alone display anything.. This is a great start and visual to get started!

• Sandra Martin

Mike, can you do one from a birds eye view to visualize an island?

Mighty Mike's Home Makeovers

Pantry Idea sandwiched between Kitchen and Family room. Window shown is about where your middle of your slider used to be.

• Sandra Martin

Mighty Mike, you’re awesome! Katie Smith?

Mighty Mike's Home Makeovers

Similar kitchen layout elements here for you to consider for your kitchen.

• efulcher1

Mike, you are a sweetie to do this. I am going to post soon also. I didn't know I could do this on houzz. I love it and need major help with ideas. just purchases a new home build in 1980. pics and post to follow soon.