0

Hosta V 2018 .....

It is Friday! Lets celebrate it with Vs. Show me yours.

You will sing it.

• Saija

Valley's Lemon Squash (June)

Valley's Lemon Squash (July)

Veronica Lake

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

good ones Paula!..I DID sing it!!

Saija..love the yellow on Valley's Lemon Squash..Veronica Lake is so cute and petite..

3 pics of the same Venusta..pic #2-those impatiens self seeded..must have come from impatiens planted in the nearby concrete pot the previous summer..

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Only one v for me today

Victory, I might need to move it, just keeps getting smaller each year.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Beth..Victory still looks healthy..isn't it aggravating when a hosta doesn't grow?..I have some to move too..

• mae (zone 5b On)

Victory Every year something chews holes into the petioles near the base causing the leaf to fall down. I don't see excessive slug damage. Could that be caused by pill/sowbug or earwigs.?

Paula ....help....I've got Amore playing nonstop in my head...on some sort of loop!!!!

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Victory . Planted in 2014.

I have a bunch of slow pokes in this hosta bed......you guessed it my Great expectation, Remember Me, HumpBack Whale, Sagae and my Empress Wu. But I take comfort knowing that the struggle with them will be worth it. I see some of your mature hostas in the alphabet and I am in awe.

Happy Friday All !!!

• steve duggins - Ohio

I don't have any Vs worth showing. Will half a W work?

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Victory in the garden three years old!

Valcour Blue one of my seedlings,parent unknown

Victory

Vanilla Cream

Virginia Reel new last year

Vulcan

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Lol Paula! "That's a moray" may even bump "Red Solo Cup" (courtesy of windymess) out of my head. It has been alternating with the theme song from The Andy Griffith Show ever since Sherry posted her thought/joke. Paula your "Pink Floyd" pic was among my top favorites.

Saija Valley's Lemon Squash is such a good looking plant!

Only one for me - no pic of Victory, Vulcan or Velvet Moon.

Venetian Star

• mbug_gw

I'm singing too!!

Looking forward to seeing all the Valley's showing up! Valley's Lemon Squash is a great start, Saija!

Victory ...standing tall in May

....and Victory later in the summer

Vulcan

• steve duggins - Ohio

Wow, those Valley's look great. I can't help but notice they're all growing in pots. Don't you think they deserve to show their full potential . . . growing in the ground . . . here in America . . . in my garden . . . ? ? ?

I can hardly wait until they start to show up over here in greater numbers, but it seems like when they do, other people have similar ones on the market too. How does one decide?

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

so many great gardeners, photographers, writers and comedians here :-)

Karin..a comment for you..what a Vast collection of V's!..I love solids..I love Vase shaped..I love wavy rippled edges..so many of the Valley's have these traits..your photos captured all of the details..I can't name a favorite..there's too many..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Hee hee, nicholsworth, I think you love them all, me too!

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..I'm kind of obvious about it huh?..Lol..I have variegated hostas that I love (June) but I'm a sucker for solids of ALL colors..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Impressive collection of Valley's Karin and all looking wonderful!

• old_dirt

mae, I have the same problem with my Regal Splendor late in the season. Hopefully someone chimes in with the culprits.

Vulcan

Victory, also quite slow but a better location would help.

Valerie's Vanity

ventricosa 'Aureomarginata', one large clump that was divided a couple years ago.

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Paula, I can hear Dean Martin's voice singing that... and the kitten with the bowl haircut, so funny!

old_dirt, nice shot of the shiny leaves on Valerie's Vanity. What a pretty hosta!

Victory .....That lone lily is moving to a new place. Can't block Victory!

Venetian Star

• Karin Black Cat

Lol, I only showed my older Valley's, left out those from summer 2018. I can not help, I love them and tomorrow a new list will come out and I already know that there will be more coming this summer. But I did not buy too many others during winter and focused on adding to my groups of collectors hosta, like Flemish, Frisian, Kempen, Chiemsee and Oberland.

Steve,

I really hope you can buy more Valley's in the future, I hear from a lot of my garden friends all over the world that they want them. But you have access to other beauties which we in Europe are longing for. I like the plants Dan Wols and Rick Goodenough are showing and try to get them, but it is not easy.

Ann,

I also love solid colours and wavy edges, but I also try to add a little colour with variegated hosta. I am really looking forward to spring but I also hope that all the beauties will be back because we had more than three months of rain and it was so grey that I had to leave the lights on in my plant room. It will be mild this weekend and it's time to go outside and clean up and bring the stairs together.

Here is one of my seedlings from last year. I brought them inside four weeks ago and they grow in the cool plant room.

Looks like it shows a 'V' for 'I survived that winter' :-)

I have only five left from last year and they are all solid colours.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Karin..so you have more Valley's than what you posted?? Lol..post all of them if you want..hosta forum people can look every day until spring comes!..my left elbow hurts and I think it's from my left arm holding my phone all winter..we had several days of heavy rain recently..before that snow now and then..tonight we have some very cold temps..6° F (-14.444° C)..no sign at all of any plants coming up (thank goodness)..I haven't seen my potted hostas since late November when I put them in my shed..too cold to take a look..your seedling is adorable..I hope the excessive rain didn't harm any of your beautiful hosta..I'm anxious to get out and get to work!..enjoy your time outside this weekend :-)

• Karin Black Cat

Ok, I also show the new Valley's. They are mostly 2-3 leaves when they come, but as you have seen from my first pictures they grow beautifully and I really can not complain.

I was busy with my new succulent hobby all winter long but now I really miss my hosta. I'm doing a little experiment with growing hosta seed in rockwool and when I looked yesterday I was happy to see some coming out already....

• Karin Black Cat

It's quite an addiction and I must be crazy to spent so much money on a few leaves...but my garden is my island...

We will have freezing temperatures again next week and I need to add some soil to a few pots because some are showing pips already. I noticed a big one on Snowden yesterday :-)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

your collection is amazing..everything is labeled and photographed so well..thanks for posting!..everyone will enjoy them..I'm not familiar with that potting media..it's working well..your baby hostas are so cute..

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

I can't compete with Karin's collection of Valley's but I do have 18 with two more ordered for this year and the possibility of a few more soon.

Valley's Red Scorpion

Great red legs and the leaves are getting huge. It was new in 2017 For scale that is a 10 litre pot.

Valley's Toss the Boss

Valley's Paparazzi

Valley's Top

Some new ones as they arrived late last year. Left to right they are V's La Strada, V's Magnum, V's Undressed Wu, V's White Suite, V's Green Chute and V's Iron Lady. Really looking forward to seeing them emerge this year.

Vulcan

Dave

• ConnieMay

Enjoying all of your V’s - I love love love Valley’s Red Scorpion!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Dave..nice Valley's..your Valley's Red Scorpion is large..the petioles are as big as celery stalks..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Karin & Dave lovely collections! Dave I know you have plenty of space. Karin you are going to need a bigger stairway lol!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

I’m glad you both posted photos of Valleys Paparazzi. I have a smallish one, which was my door prize at the hosta club meeting last fall. I can see it will be pretty!

• Karin Black Cat

You will love it. It changes from spring to fall and I like it in every season...

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Oh wow, Karin, that IS pretty. I will definitely love it!

• mbug_gw

V’s look great. Enjoying all of your Valley’s!!