0

desperately seeking cabinet color help

Twosit4me
last modified: February 9, 2019

color is my Achilles, I just don't get it. We've hired a professional to paint our cabinets white and I need to make a decision. I can choose any brand and they will color match, I just placed some of their existing samples up for comparison. The walls and trim will be repainted to coordinate. The backsplash and counter are new so they can not be changed. They were chosen before we committed to painting the cabinets.

London Staging and Design, LLC

Lovely counters! I cannot tell accurately from photos on the color choices. I do know SW Alabaster is a great choice for cabinets. Best wishes!

Twosit4me thanked London Staging and Design, LLC
  • chloebud

They all look pretty much the same on my screen. If you number them, I think #'s 2, 4 and 5 look good. #1 has a slight yellow undertone, but computer screens can be so iffy. Kudos on the counter and backsplash combo.

Twosit4me thanked chloebud
  • Yayagal

#5 is perfect.

Twosit4me thanked Yayagal
  • K Laurence

Love the stone, really impossible to select , colors can be very deceiving on monitors. These need to be seen in person with your countertop, your lighting, etc. in your home.

Twosit4me thanked K Laurence
  • Susie .
    I think either of the two on the far right are great.
    Twosit4me thanked Susie .
    Filipe Custom Woodwork

From the monitor:

1 St Choice: 5

others

2 & 4

Twosit4me thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • daisychain01

Another vote for #5. The others (on my monitor) look either too warm (yellow) or too cool (stark white).

Twosit4me thanked daisychain01
  • chloebud

Probably a silly question due to the problem with monitors, but could you post another pic with just 2, 4 and 5? All 3 appear close to perfect.

Twosit4me thanked chloebud
  • Twosit4me

between the time when I took the photo (yesterday) and posted the samples got shifted around. I creamy figure out exactly which is which but I think I've got the samples people liked, plus one more. I've taken another photo with labels this time. are there other colors I should be looking at? I would like to narrow it down and make a larger sample board. Thanks for your help. I know its so hard to do it online because of monitors

• chloebud

They all look good on my screen. Which one...in person...blends best with the splash and lightest color in the counter?

Twosit4me thanked chloebud
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

What a beautiful countertop. I am a fan of No. 5 as well.

Twosit4me thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Tatiana MN

Are you going to use that yellow light above the backsplash after the remodel? It makes all the samples orange and indistinguishable in the photo.

Twosit4me thanked Tatiana MN
  • Twosit4me

Thanks for the replies. The color that seems to work best to me is the Chantilly Lace, which is the first one in the second group of pictures. Sadly I can't figure out for sure which one is number 5 from the first group. I believe I'm going to order several amples from Samplize.com

• Twosit4me

Tatiana, I agree about the lighting and I am looking right now about how to change it. I wonder if there is a way to just change the cover on the lights.

You need LED bulbs in daylight color so somewhere beteen 3500-5000K that will mimic bright sunlight and keep the yellow hues from affecting how the colors look in the evening most of my clients choose a 4000K.

• chloebud

Twosit4me, the Chantilly Lace looks like a winner, especially if you like it in person.

Twosit4me thanked chloebud
  • loobab

All the colors look good to me.

The counter looks like vanilla fudge ice cream.

Yummy, yummy!

Congratulations on your new kitchen!

Beth H. :

Chantilly is a cooler white and can sometimes look 'minty green'.

I like #2, Extra White or Simply White, which is prob the most neutral white.

Oh, and if using BM color, then get BM paint. It's next to impossible to get an exact color match of a BM color using another brand of paint.

get bulbs in the 4000K range for the best 'read' on colors.

Twosit4me thanked Beth H. :
  • Twosit4me

thanks to everyone. I'm hopping the samples will shed more light on the situation. I have real problems seeing the undertones until it's too late.
    I'm trying to figure out what my under cabinet lights are and if I can just change the bulbs or the boxes. any ideas on what it is that I have? the electrician picked them out and they definitely weren't cheap.

• Karen Rose
    I’d pick the one closest to your backsplash, and don’t go TOO creamy.
  • iamtiramisu

Twosit4methose look like Xenon bulbs vs. LEDs - they get very hot when they are on for just a little while, correct? If so, and they are newly installed, I'm not sure I'd want to stick with those unless you asked for something other than LED.

Twosit4me thanked iamtiramisu

Xenon bulbs are not a good choice for under cabinet lighting talk to your electrian I hope you are getting an actual cabinet paint pro not a house painter that thinks they can paint cabinets. This is a job for a real pro who takes most of the stuff away to spray booth and uses the proper finish.

Twosit4me thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sammy

If you don’t want to go through the expense of replacing your undercabinet lighting altogether, try replacing just the lamps with the LED-equivalent. Here’s one such option for you: Philips 18 watt equivalent T5 LED

Is the lighting newly installed? If so, I find it very odd that your electrician would install Xenon fixtures over LED — unless he was trying to dump some of his old stock on to an unknowledgeable customer. If that’s the case, I’d demand my money back for all of it, including labor. Even my ding dong electrician knew better when replacing my undercabinet lighting eight or so years ago, replacing Xenon with LED!

Twosit4me thanked Sammy
  • Twosit4me

Thanks for the responses. Yes, they must be xenon and they do get very hot. I had the chocolate on a protein bar melt inside the cabinet. We leave them on all the time so it was definitely a poor choice. They were installed about 10 years ago. I'm off to the lighting store to try and figure out the best way to fix this. We've hired a company who just does this and they removed all the doors Friday and came today to start prepping the inside. I've asked them for a couple large size samples. They do use special paint and I am assuming the colors are their version of comparable colors.The one that seems to go best is the Chantilly lace and I have read that it kind pick up certain undertones and I just can't see it in the small sample, even sea salt doesn't seem to show the undertones I know exist.

• Sammy

10 years? Oh, just go ahead and replace the fixtures in their entirety, then; they’ve lived a good life! Besides, it’s a pain in the butt having to change those little Xenons, isn’t it? And I would imagine they’re getting harder and harder to find on store shelves.

• Sammy

Good luck at the lighting store! If you can, bring all your kitchen material samples with you — if you have them — including the backsplash tile, countertop and potential paints. That way you can see how they look under the various undercabinet lighting they have. :)

P.S. Regarding the cabinet color samples, you could ask them to make the samples using some of your own drawer fronts and/or doors, because you must see the actual paint they’re using. All too often people are heartbroken/angry/shocked that the cabinets don’t look at all like the color they were trying to match.

Twosit4me thanked Sammy
  • Twosit4me

I chose their version of sea salt. They are all their own custom mixes and really have nothing to do with the brand names. The first two coats of primer went on today and the first coat of finish goes on tomorrow. I am psyched because the white primer gives me a great feel for the HUGE difference the paint will make. I'll be sure and post pics when the painting is completed. Thanks again for your help.