Your shopping cart is empty.
kathy_cann

Would love input on our kitchen space plan

Kathy Cann
February 9, 2019
We are moving our kitchen, swapping with our current DR. Most of that wall between the DR & LR is being taken out (even with LR wall on other side)so will be open concept. Also, we are adding a prep sink at the end of the island near the range & fridge. That pullout between wall and fridge is now an 18” pantry with pull out shelves.

Questions:
1.Is the 66” from end of island to range/fridge wall too much space? Debating over shifting island down that way a few inches but that is also a passage way to backyard door so maybe it’s better with the extra space? (Slider at the other end will be main exit to backyard deck tho)

2. Where on island (39” wide) would be best for prep sink? I’m thinking either at the end in the middle or at the corner facing window?

3. The two sets of cabinets next to the slider will have glass uppers. (No wine fridge on the bottom there) I’m trying to achieve a buffet effect for that space, setting it a bit apart from rest of the kitchen without disturbing the symmetry of the other cabinetry. Any other creative ideas on how to achieve a buffet serving area that doesn’t just look like part of the kitchen? (even tho it is! LOL)

4.Should we use a farm sink to break up that long stretch of dark cabinetry? Also considering using a chimney style range hood and eliminating that cabinet for same reason. Thoughts?

5. What’s the best size for pot/pan drawers and for a dishes (plates & bowls) drawer? Our cabinet designer says 30” ones are her favorite so we have lots of those. I think the 2 deeper drawers are about 8” deep with a smaller one on top. I’ve seen really deep ones with just two drawers but those seem overkill?

6. Anything else we are missing here?

PS: Cabinets are dark cherry, counters most likely in Taj Mahal quartzite and floors will be med oak.

Comments (14)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).