0

living room decor help!

Sandy Solorio
I would like to replace my coffee table. The one I currently have is a bit oversized for the space. I’ve attached some pics of what I like, but not sure if I should go with round, rectangular or something completely different. open to suggestions. Also, would like a bigger area rug, not sure what design/color would look best. Another suggestion I got was to replace the arch above the fireplace with art. Should I do abstract painting, or maybe a print? Lastly, I’ve been so in love with ceiling beams, would that look nice in my living room layout? I already have a support beam that runs horizontally across the ceiling and I would like to use that as a reference to add vertical beams. Thoughts? Thank you all in advance for your help.

JAN MOYER

May I ask how you get into the space, let alone beyond it into the dining area? The sofa needs to go against the wall, Try chair flanking fire, or with their backs to the dining area .Remove the mirror, Plant, all the stuff on the floor, turn the rug the long way., take a photo and post again. : ) in the same thread.

Not every room will allow floating furniture.

London Staging and Design, LLC

Lovely space!. I would select the round coffee table. The addition of beams would contrast nicely with the neutral decor. Stain them dark. Yes a larger rug would look good but what you have works. Adding art would be nice to bring in a focal and color for your room. I would keep it soft on the eye as far as colors and theme. An outdoor landscape watercolor or oil painting. Your space is calm and relaxing as it should be. Maybe consider loosing or moving the tall lamp beside the sofa as it appears cramped and tight for flow and access as well as decor by fireplace. Want a good traffic flow that is easy and comfortable to move. If possible and there is room you could use a sofa table behind the sofa for lamps for lighting and help dividing spaces, acts as a buffet for the dining room as well when needed. Best wishes!

• Laura Villar

following

• Sandy Solorio
    Hello again. I’ve moved several things around in my living room. The mirror is attached to the wall and extremely heavy. I will need to hold off on moving that. Also, I do have also have an entrance to the dining area from my kitchen. Hope the arrangement can help you help me :)
  • Sandy Solorio
    Some more angles
  • Sandy Solorio
    Some more angles
    JAN MOYER

MUCH better!!!!! You're inviting me IN! : ) Is there another spot for the small server piece? Bring the standing lamp back to near ( step end ) at sofa. I'm anti clock.....especially while dining : ( Can you live without it?

I'd love to see a larger rug. That looks like 6 x 9, with a bit of jiggle, you may be able to eek 8 x 10. You don't need to be exactly centered on the fire with sofa.

ART!!! Bring back the arch mirror over the mantel, ski the doo dads : )

I'd make the cocktail table a moveable ....... small and round....... two small stack tables. Nesting tables. ? Don't make another obstacle course

• FinallyHome

following

• Sandy Solorio
    Thank you Jan! Love your ideas :) what about the clock above the FP? Honestly, I can live without both the clock and server table. Also, would it be strange to put the leaning mirror horizontally above the sofa? I really like the mirror, but I can always find another place for it in the house. Thanks again for your help :)
    London Staging and Design, LLC

If changing your furniture layout appeals to you and works then that was not something you asked or desired to do initially. The way you show it now is not as attractive as your first arrangement. Your original layout made defined spaces and created a very sophisticated image. It just needed to be modified as I suggested. Ultimately whatever pleases you and functions for your intended purpose. People will all have different opinions. You have a beautiful collection of furnishings and accessories that create a very calming and soothing appeal to the eye. Best wishes!

• Sandy Solorio
    Or maybe the mirror behind the dining chair? I’m no expert just a thought lol
    JAN MOYER

Sure! Try it ( clock) above the hearth! The mirror....okay give a whirl at dining end. You will get an adjacent reflected view of the landscape outside. Candles will reflect. Make a major cluster of those, don't spread them over "two" rooms.

PS...... the spaces are still very "defined" They are a conversational group defined by a rug. : ) Invite me for dinner! I can actually sit and chat with folks lingering at the dining table.....without my back to them and the need for a head on a swivel stick lol

A nice calm piece of sizeable art above the sofa? Yeah..... still like that too

Good work so far! Move the lamp, do the jiggles take another pic

JAN MOYER

Any below nice above the sofa, All Horchow, none outrageous $$$, nice size. A chance to dabble with just a little hit of subtle color too,

London Staging and Design, LLC

Monet "Cliffs at Purville in The Fog" Oil Painting · More Info

Something with a beautiful frame. Best wishes