0

Beautiful Inside, Disaster Outside

Lindsay Harrison
A house I’m interested in buying my husband has deemed “hopeless.” We both love everything about the house’s interior, but the front elevation is so terribly ugly. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Although the house is well under budget I still don’t want to spend more than $6,000; convincing my husband will be easier without a hefty price tag. Please help!

• tfitz1006

I don't see it as ugly at all, think it's pretty cool. Landscaping is the answer, not muddling the style, imho.

• functionthenlook

If you think it is ugly. It is not the style of house for you. Move on with your house search.

• roccouple

More windows would help a lot. Also landscaping. a $6k budget is low though. Having a different color trim could be nicer too.

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Agree that more windows and landscaping it all it needs. That won't happen with 6k though, so if you're unwilling to spend more this isn't the house for you.

David J. Design Inc.

Look for another house I guess unless you can spend more than 6K. Too bad because if you could spend more you could end up with a really nice house.

Don’t pass up a house which is perfect inside.

Consider a metal trellis between the windows:

Cover the horizontal wall with cedar planks such as the fencing on the right in this photo.

• keith Dcil

I agree , the house is pretty cool. Create an entry courtyard with a little hardscape like a flagstone paver patio surrounded with lush landscaping and lighting . Your local nursery could easily plan and execute.

BeverlyFLADeziner

It is a GORGEOUS HOME. Likely not typical, but it is such a great backdrop for some creative landscaping. Love the mottled brick finish. Looks like the roof needs to be cleaned.

I agree it need some major landscaping and IMO no to the windows but could we see the back of the house and what is in the back for view. Usually when house have very little for windows in the front it is because all the view is in the back.I do not love the brick wall on the right what is that hiding.

• gm_tx

Love the house, it's the landscaping that needs serious help. I'd hire a landscape architect to design a plan for you that will complement the style of this home and truly do it justice.

• houssaon

With a really good landscape design that included some ornamental trees this house would be a stand out. I can see a deep bright teal or blue on your front door. In my opinion, you don't need to do any changes to the windows.