Software
Houzz Logo Print
dashakadollz

Back Friendly Kitchen

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am just wondering if there are kitchen design ideas that won't let me bend because of a serious back injury? My kitchen is quite big. But, my original idea was to eliminate upper cabinets so that it doesn't look like a kitchen, but I also can't keep on bending to get stuff. The sort of bay window will be a breakfast nook. I suspect I am going to use the kitchen a lot because it is beautifully sunny. I am a minimalist and would love my kitchen to reflect that! Not sure how to add a photo but will try.

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Also get an apron front sink that does not have a super-thick apron. An apron front sink is easier on the back vs an undermount sink because an undermount sink has the 4-inch strip of counter in front of it which means you have to lean or reach across however minimal it makes a difference In back comfort.

    I prefer apron front sinks in enameled cast iron by Kohler (the Whitehaven) or more contemporary in stainless steel by several manufacturers (just avoid the aprons that are very thick).

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I wonder if maybe the answer is to go with upper cabinets with the pull down mechanism and the just top drawers in the lower ones or with drawers where most of the stuff is in the top 2 drawers.



    dashakadollz thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 years ago

    You want to read up on ergonomic kitchen design. Here is an OK introductory article with some links to National Kitchen and Bath Association resources.

  • 7 years ago

    Raised counters if you are tall.

  • 7 years ago

    You sound like a good candidate for a wall oven and cooktop rather than a range as well as a raised dishwasher or a dishwasher drawer. A walk-in pantry would let you store lots of things at a convenient height if you have the room. Sink placement is important too. I haven't used an apron sink, but very deep sinks cause me to bend too much (I'm 5'10"), so consider your height there. Wondering if the mixer lift type cabinet could be made to work for you also. Hopefully someone with universal design expertise will weigh in.

  • 7 years ago

    Wall oven for sure.

  • 7 years ago

    you might also check to see if you're eligible for any discounts, rebates or grants for your disability. But a designer who specializes in ADA kitchens is a great suggestion.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    There is a certain zone which is easy to reach without bending. It would be the drawers that are just below the counter and the upper cabinets.

    I designed my kitchen to age in place and I opted

    Bosch side opening wall oven

    Microwave drawer with tilt up controls

    All my lower cabinets are either drawers or have pullouts - I am in the process of organizing and will place items that I need to access frequently in the upper drawers - middle section of my pantry cabinets and on the lower shelf of my upper cabinets since those are my "sweet" spots.

    I do have some lower cabinets and these have full extension pull outs so that I don't have to bend to reach anything in the back

    I had toe kick step stools installed on all the cabinets that had upper cabinets so that I could reach more easily without hauling out a step stool

    A grabber in every room is highly functional as you can retrieve a lot of stuff from the floor with the grabber.

    Obviously a dishwasher that was elevated would be functional but that may or may not be feasible.

  • 7 years ago

    "A grabber in every room..." Helen, what is that? Please post a link or a photo. TIA.

    dashakadollz thanked Shannon_WI
  • 7 years ago

    Eliminating uppers is not a good idea as staying upright with good posture is most essential for a bad back. I suffered a severe back injury last June and am just starting to function a bit normally after months of physical therapy. Going forward I will always have back issues. The thing that has helped me the most was the occupational therapy I received from my PT, training me with specific exercises to allow me to perform normal everyday activities like cooking. I am never to flex my back nor bend over and pick things up. I am now able to cook without severe pain. I use the techniques I learned and continue the exercises. I also make sure I take sit breaks. I cannot stand nor sit for very long.

    Uppers are your friend with a bad back. Bottoms drawers will always require picking something up. I use a hinge hip technique in which I reach with a flat back using lunge positions. If PT and OT aren’t helping you then a grabber and kitchen helpers are the solution since bending and flexing is out in most back injuries. Sink work is excruciating since it’s so difficult not to flex.

    Helens suggestions are all very helpful and I’ve done the same in my kitchen.

    dashakadollz thanked bbtrix
  • 7 years ago

    Raise the dishwasher. https://www.houzz.com/photos/raised-dishwasher-phbr0lbl-bl~l_42609


    Actually, I recommend this for everyone.

    dashakadollz thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    This: ^^^^

    I wanted to do raise my DW, but decided against it, because I would have had to alter my favorite design feature in my new kitchen. Also, our current house is not our forever house and I have no backache and feel, as long as I can bend, I probably should :-)

    I like how the DWs are raised higher in Europe (1st pic) than seems to be done in the US (2nd pic)



    Also, I'd put in the Bosch Benchmark side-opening wall oven for ease of access.



    dashakadollz thanked User