Your shopping cart is empty.
mehrin_shahed

How lomg does it take snake plants to grow to near maturity?

Mehrin Shahed
February 15, 2019
I want to buy a 4 in potted snake plant but am wondering whether it will reach 2 ft at least in one season.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    tapla

A complicated question. The easy answer is, "it depends". Plants don't age like animals do. We age chronologically, while plants age ontogenetically through stages of growth that culminate at sexual maturity. While this isn't precisely accurate, you can think of aging and the plant becoming mature as based on the number of times the cells have divided. Since cultural conditions govern growth to a very large extent, you can see that a plant with good cultural conditions that grows rapidly will reach its mature stage much sooner than a plant stuck in a dark corner and largely ignored.

You might be interested in knowing that some plants can take as long as 100 years to mature. Also, if we were to observe a hawthorn tree, it might take as long as 25 years to mature and bloom/bear fruit. Strangely though, if you start a tip cutting from a branch that flowered, it might only take a few years for it to bloom. A tip cutting is some of the youngest tissues on the plant, but because it is the product of so many cell divisions, it retains its maturity, even as a cutting.

Too, whether or not you plant will reach 2 ft tall in a single season depends on 2 different factors. Species and genetics, which we'll lump together as one factor, and how good you are at optimizing the cultural conditions that affect growth rate (light, fertility, temperature, soil water management), and eliminating any other factor that has the potential to limit your plant's health. Your plant will grow best when it's in the sweet spot, that is to say when all cultural conditions are very favorable.

Al

• Mehrin Shahed

Whoa... okay! I guess you are saying that it would in ideal conditions.

I am looking for a simpler ballpark/average duration for growth :)

• PRO
    tapla

How long does it take to get to Canada?

The factor between how long it takes a plant growing in a dark dusty corner to one growing in nearly perfect cultural conditions could be >20X. Sorry I can't provide what you're looking for. Best luck!

Al

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Just to add to the previous comments......there are some 70 species of snake plant. Some that can reach 12' and others than never exceed 8-10". So without knowing what you kind you have, it's impossible to say when - if ever - it will get that tall. And they are all slow growers, especially if confined to a container. So I would guess that for a common variety under normal houseplant growing conditions, you will be looking at multiple years to grow from 4" to 2'.

Mehrin Shahed thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)

You could just buy one that's 2 ft tall if that's what you'd like, depends on the variety.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).