0

replace or leave?

itsme72
We are doing a Partial kitchen remodel. Cabinets are maple and unfortunately we are leaving them as is, too expensive to replace in a home we don’t plan on staying in. The spindles will be replaced with crown. I don’t know if I should have them leave the current vent hood and put the crown on or replace will a stainless steal hood. The weird door on it does open, I assume to access the vent. I need to figure this out before they come next Monday. And we have the stainless steel cooktop, just waiting for new counters. Counters will be Cambria Delgatie, haven’t picked a backsplash yet if anyone has any ideas. The peninsula will be removed as well.

• Kristin S

I would replace the vent hood. If it weren't for the strange door I might feel differently (as I actually really like your wood tone cabinets), but given the door, replace. I would also swap out the knobs for something more updated.

Have you run your layout through the kitchens forum? I ask because the peninsula doesn't necessarily bother me, but it looks like the aisles around the island look tight...

• jhmarie

I don't have a problem with the current hood, probably because I also have a wood hood. My kitchen is a cottage / vintage style so it works:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

If you are having crown stained to match the cabinets, you could see if the carpenter could remove the door and create a different top piece. Also, if the vent works fine, you can buy an unfinished maple wood hood and have it stained- it would need to have the same dimensions as the older on the bottom where the liner holds the vent insert. You can read about that option on this site: https://www.kitchensource.com/range-hoods/d/woodhoods/

Staining maple can be difficult - be sure your carpenter is up to the task and shows you samples of what you can expect.

If you prefer a stainless hood, you can remove the wood one and replace it. Wood hoods are more expensive then similar size stainless, but if you like the style of stainless then you can do it. Your carpenter may have to work on the side panels if they do not look right once the hood is removed.

This is my wood kitchens idea book - some have wood hoods. You might get ideas for your kitchen.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

Generally, a simple backsplash works best in a wood kitchen. Most of the ones in my idea book have a subway tile or similar. I would not decide on a backsplash until after the counters are installed. Seeing the counters installed can change what you want as a backsplash.

• houssaon

If you take off the knob on the fake door, and fill the hole to match, the hood would look fine. I would take off the spindles. Wait until the carpenter comes to do the molding to see what he thinks.

• itsme72
    Kristin S, I thought I posted this on the kitchens forum . Yes knobs will go after the counter installation. The crown molding is already done and staining matches great. I’m trying to go for clean updates look so leaning towards stainless steel but didn’t think about sides of cabinets ugh
  • Kristin S

I meant post your overall layout, if you're still open to tweaking that.

• itsme72
    Kristin S, now I understand. The reason why the peninsula is coming out is that I need a kitchen table for all 6 of us rather than a 4 seater peninsula. The aisle width is perfect around the island, 2 people can pass on either side and someone can get through even when the dishwasher is open.

Jhmarie, thanks for linking all those. I’m going to have to ponder all the options
  • Lisa

If I wasn't planning on staying, I wouldn't do anything. Why waste money for temporary change?