Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Any experience on a Wisconsin Robin Engine on a small Riding mower?

loger_gw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Do you have any experience on a Wisconsin Robin Engine on a small Riding mower? I feel I have seen a few and felt they were Briggs. Are they similar are related? This came about when I challenged a friend to help me find a 30” or 32” Used John Deere or change the Deck. to 32”. That is the most that would be worthwhile on this 70’x120’ lot (minus home and drives). A 10 HP in the rear is what I have seen on line...

We basically have a 70’wide X 50’deep front and back (with 3 Car concrete drive off front’s grass. Back is almost equal with loss of grass to storage. The House, Rear Patio +Storage, rear Car Port leaves 50’X 120’ of some grass. The bottom line is little grass and tight areas. This is a :30 minute cut walking but my feet are asking me to re-think the walking now. A small cut with automatic or easy shifting is my goal “To Try A Rodeo Ride”! My Goal is A project and trying to be as independent as possible as long as I can.

Comments (22)

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Hey Bud , Similiar in design as the Briggs Vanguard in appearance . However the Wisconsin Robin engine has a very good reputation for durability within generator use and agricultural and mining sectors . Subaru the parent company of Fugi Heavy Industries now manufacturers the Robin Engine line today .

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is a 32” 11 HP R92 John Deere Riding Mower worth a try on a Small Yard that I can cut in 30 minutes. My objective would be to compromise with my feet “Screaming” At Me when I cut the yard. I walk a mile 5 days a week and enjoy the walk. I felt the compromise would be to eliminate the walk one day for the yard. Manipulating the mower appears to have a lot to do with my stressed feet. My 21” Murray with large back wheels is the easiest cut. My 23” Self Propelled MTD requires too much foot work (backing/Etc on the small yard).

If the rider will not work me harder on a yard this small is my concern. The Storage Find caught me at a bad time. I am approx 2 months into recovering from neck fusion surgery (if I am not repeating). I put my collar back on for a short test ride that seemed good for the age of the mower. No cost has been discussed, but what would you expect a price range to be on this 1985 Model or would you purchase this far back? Thanks! For your Experiences/Comments and see the Deere attached.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Hey Bud thought you went to mower heaven ! As for the neck issues I had a fusion back in 1991 for C-5 / C-6 . I went back to work in 4 wks . Much to soon . The walking on uneven ground also aggravates my knees , I bike a lot to keep fit since my hip replacements . Swimming also helps a lot . No fun getting old (65) . lol. My recommendations is if the mechanical parts are sound $250 max . Otherwise $ 75-100 and you have a project . Bearings , belts , spindle drives etc . Also as you have indicated. with a small yard is a rider quicker or just easier and longer ? It's your decision , some people find it frustrating backing up all the time around obstacles . I would say let your feet decide lol . Ensure your wearing good shoes on your walks Bud , makes a big difference the next day .

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I Agree with No Fun Getting Old (72)! We have to make it Better or “Fun”! I have worked my years 36 with credit for 40 due to unused leave. Paying my dues volunteering to the Elderly on Needs Mainly privately. Plus, with Habitat For Humanity, Meals On Wheels and Church Repairs my 1st 10 years of retirement 2 mornings a week +.

I finally realized I was volunteering on too much due to having needs of my own. Not to mentioned helping “Some People “because it was free and they could do the work! Now I am Playing Catch-Up on Needs When I should Be Fishing “A Little” but Too Tired and Broken. I thought I had More Gas In My Tank! This has been a Late Experience. It is still fun to help at home and away on “True Needs”. It will be interesting what my friend wants for the mower. He is a Super Mechanic with a Super Shop and we have shared since the mid 80s.

I recently pointed him to a 42” 2000+ Deere I knew of from walking our close walking Trail(that I knew was larger than what I waned). That movers left and new owners had no interest in it. They took 50.00 to move it and it runs like a champ. Take Care!

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

All The best Loger , keep doing what you enjoy in moderation it will keep you young !

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Keep us posted Bud !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Am I the only member that has constant problems getting in to post? Could it be Malwarebites or Norton Antivirus are causing me problems I did not have initially?

It is time to Clean Up and take actions toward next winter.

1. I Restock piled in wood to restock about 2 of 4 face cords used.
      1. Stainless Lined 6’ of 14”ID chimney shows very little need after 2 seasons at least monitored with Pics.
      1. There is no end if you plan to “Enjoy The Heat”, with help I am managing restocking.
      1. Plans are to Add 4 Hooks to my Modifier Patio Rack to safely rem to access and quickly reattach chain-link side.
      1. The Big Plus, is the Rack/Box has locking Ends into Bottom Rails to Rem and Store.
      1. I have accepted I will need help due to my Neck Fusion limits and Age (Young Folks).
    2. It was a good winter with 24/7 Fires 99% of days below 60 Degs..
      1. I’ll hope to get a good report on my Neck fusion soon to give my Riding 92 Deere a true Test.
      1. Plus, It’s time to Down Shift on any Major Volunteering and
        Possibly receive some “Trades”!
      1. A major concern is my current concentrations or lack of memory is affecting my past skills. I can only put my finger on the fusion process and meds since the timing is related or software issues. I Hope To Keep Kicking Learning and
        Sharing!!!
  • ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Loger , All good Bud , looking too the Walleye opener in 3 Wks , Yeehaw ! Summer is in the Wind !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good Luck with the Walleye! I hope to get well enough to share my R92 Deere experiences when I get well enough. Plus, I have wood and Grass to work. I appreciate my wife not helping me because I needed to work through this or Get Off The Board!.

If you know of a good youtube or site showing the drive belt or belts on the R92 Deere, please share. All looks well "from the top" times trying it. At the age I have to think about belts and Etc depending on the history which I do not have. I Like The Metal On The Old Monster VS Newer Mowers. Take Care, Loger!

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Hey Bud , Traction belt # 86421 , lots of info on the web & utube for these older R-70 & R-90 rear engine mowers . The 11 hp was quite popular . I,'ll catch a few Walleye for you !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

An Old School Edger with 2 HP Briggs Gets The Job Done with limits from a Neck Fission 3-4-5 (5 months ago). I hope that was not too soon with a 30 lb limit. My Dr said I could push a mower but not to ride my 30” Deere 92 “Experiment”. I felt the Edger would be equivalent standing straight up and not pull starting. I pulled the cover and got an easy start from my drill and let it worm-up. Worm I put the cover back on and my wife gave it one easy pull and started it. With no effort I edged our front drive and Side Drive to our Rear Car Port. Pushing mainly on concrete but some grass on the front w/o the Street Curve adapter

My New Neighbor had St Augustine growing across his curve and down into the street. He had no Yard Experience. He had never used a Lawn mower or Edger, Born and raised in El Paso Tx.. With the Tuff St Augustine I knew I needed to help him and edged his front and dive two week after experimenting on our yard… A killer is not being able to post this as a new post vs tagging with 2-3 sample pics. This is driving me “Batty”. It is also possibly telling me I have memory matters and need to get off the Board as many that I feel “realized”.

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

All The Best with the fusion Loger , the 1st 6 mths you should be careful when lifting or pushing or pulling until the fusion is completely healed !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll roll logs onto the log splitter as onto stack to help clear-out to look cleaner. Hopefully split wood will be 30 lbs or less (with largest weight split) to clear out wood to racks. One or two logs might be too long for splitter and might get “rolled” onto log racks to be cut and split later.

Cleaning is the objective now. Good advise Ewalk! The Tech called and said all looked good and is progressing but lifting was held at 30 Lbs. overhead and no riding mower vs pushing. I want this to end w/o complication but restocking wood and yard work is challenging me. I feel I have a 2 year supply of wood; it just needs to be cut/split and clean up the Mess! I have gotten hooked on Firewood!!!

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Yep life has a way of gradually slowing us down Bud ! My wife is in mth 4 recuperating from right hip replacement . She has had a few set backs with blood clots around the surgery stitch site . Slowly getting better each week . Unfortunately she has future left hip replacement scheduled and then a similar neck fusion surgery once she has her hip surgery recovery behind her . Never a dull moment lol. A day at a time , take it slow Bud , all the Best !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As bad as I feel today, the wood will rest as it is until the winter to avoid the added stress of the North Texas Heat (low 90s). By then the Large Heavy Seasoned Ash will go straight to the Patio to be burned. I let A young friend load me with wood above my limits (thinking I would be released of lower limits by Winter. I need to stay with my 12” dia limits green or seasoned to be split. I thought the seasoned 14”-16” Ash would be OK until now it is time to work the loads and my Young friend is not here…

Cutting into shorter 8” -12” blocks I feel will be an option before splitting but I feel I need to stay away from starting or using a saw until I get a “Full Fusion Release”. I’ll have plenty wood because my young friend will only keep approx 4”-“6” straight wood. He offers me the wood from the cleaning. Most off his property and neighbors’ will be Red Oak, Live Oak and Pecan.

The Ash and Etc. comes from other’s curbs if he knows my racks are not full. His real career is servicing Small engines and Automotives. A Tree Trimming Company is one of his good customers. He knows to only offer me wood from “Our Old Belt” we have lived in since 1972,

Take Care!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    • Some good points are coming out in this info shared:
      1. Our yard 70’ Wide x 50’ Deep Front and 70’ Wide X 50’ Deep Back is too small for a riding mower.
    • 2. With the Neck Fusion and alternating cutting front one week and back the next, plus walking a mile 5 week days I am finding some relief on my feet.
    • 3. Cutting the yard is not my problem vs finding some relief on my feet. The alternating has made a big difference.
    • 4. My retired past was to walk 2 mi 5 mornings and cut the yard (front /back) one morning. In 35-40 minutes before going inside. That was labor but I wanted it over.
      1. I need to alternate my exercise since my Podiatrist and I have not found an answer to my bad feet.
    • 6. At 73 I still like to work and have given up fishing due to the labor and time but I keep some good Firewood, Woodwork, Metal, Plastic, Computer and Automotive work/projects…
    • 7. I plan to try the Deere when released but a trim mower will be needed Or A Grandson X All!
    • 8. The Old School Edger was designed to tilt in one direction and not to get close to walls, now this one will tilt in both directions.
    • 9. Removing the pull start rope and spool is my last thought on a 2nd cover until I am through this Challenge. The Drill will do the cranking with no signs of a Kickback Yet!
    • 10. Wish Me Good Luck The Next 6 Momths!
    • Thanks, Loger
  • ssewalk1
    4 years ago

All The Best Bro !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

While waiting to try a 1984 John Deere 92 (30” cut) with a 11 HP Briggs 400 cc. I decided to fire it up and run some fresh treated gas through the system after 6 months sitting. It turned into more work than I expected. I discovered fuel that had been in it was gone with only wet clean signs of fuel in the clear filter and carb bowl. That did explained why it did not fire up as 6 months ago. I pressure tested the tank and fuel system and that led to figuring out the carb linkage setup and got it.

I added 2 quarts of Stabil treated fuel and it fired up w/o any hesitation with a nice idle and acceleration. That led to a compression test and a question of what should it be? With compression release possibly it is probably low until its running “Correct”? What should be the range of compression w/o it running? My gauge registered 70 psi but running I did not see a compression issue. Are there charts that will show if the engine has compression release and how low the PSI is cranking vs running??

My major small engine work was 70s-80s and I d/n experience compression release or troubleshooting. I have seen results of the technology failing due to wear once or twice… Please share any helpful tips and starting PSI ref info or a good place to find the info.

I’ll hope to see my Son-In-Law or a Helper use the Deere before I am released to ride a mower. It looks like “A Rodeo Ride in the 60s LOL”!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Help!

1. Explanations on how compression Release affects the compression reading cranking?

1. This was low to me but starts and ran as if it had good compression.

3. I did notice a wet oil look on the Engine’s crankshaft pulley. If this is an 84 model, I would say a crank seal is easily bad. I’ll try to attach the pic I got of the wet pulley and history around it. I’ll clean and observe when the testing is done.

4. Last, should I expect as clean of cut from the 30” blade as my Small 20ish” mowers? Thanks!

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Yep could have a we a seal going south , 30" blade should cut about the same if in good condition ?

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Help! I feel bad that I have not noticed the format of staying in Tool Shed vs replying and not paying close attention. Any Tips are appreciated toward posting in the approperate location. Such as how do I reply to old Posts if I do not see the topic/post is still active? My past was to see I was posting related to topics I created or chose. Thinking they all were in Tool Shed.

My current experiment was to go back to a donated Low Quality mower. That had a low knock that I examined and found a carbon build up. Looking for the link to reply back to has been a challenge...

I finally got around to trying the “Unknown” Mower I removed the carbon from. The power was very good (compared to slowing before) and no definite knock was felt or heard. It started “Like New” as always. It is the Bottom Line of a Lawn Mower that was on the Curb. It still has lots of Life in IMO, like lots of good Items on the Curb. Have Fun With Some Projects! Loger