Software
Houzz Logo Print
heather_smith155

Christopher Marlowe

Anyone grow this Austin? I always really like this one when I'm online browsing. I think it's a bit different, but I never hear about it on here. So was just curious about others experience.

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have it. It requires staking, its canes are very lax. I really like the blooms though. I had to move mine last year, because where I had it ,it had become very shaded, due to trees growing out and shading the area more. My husband refused to trim the tree, as it was one of his favorites, so I'm turning that area into a shade garden. I got him moved. Just in time. I had to cut him back hard, and didn't see alot of growth last year, but am happy to say, it is shooting out new growth this year already. He was one of the last one I moved and still have a few more to get before they languish.

    I wanted to edit, incase I most likely was clear up top. I love this rose alot. He is one of my favorite Austins!

  • 7 years ago

    I’ve grown Christopher Marlowe for several years now. I had him against our pool fence between the house and our metal storage shed. That was an all day sun position and he did well there, but roses in front of him eventually got taller than he, so I moved him last spring to the side of the metal shed. That position gets morning shade and afternoon sun. He spent most of last year sulking, so not sure if the sun situation or the move made him mad. Hoping he’s back to his old glory this year.

    He does have long canes that need to be pruned young to encourage them to go up instead of out. Will get some blackspot at times no spray in our high humidity, but not too bad. Has a very nice fragrance and beautiful blooms that can be more salmon pink at times and more lilac pink at times.

    This is kind a of wonky looking picture of him from the side before his move, but closest to a full bush shot I could find:



    And a couple of better pictures from before I moved him:







  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for the replies so far. I did a bit of research on other sites & it seems to be positive overall. But I value the knowlege of you guys on this forum the most. I'm in a much colder zone than some of you, so I would have to prune him to the ground each spring anyways. I never have more than 12 inches of live cane on most of my roses come spring. So I think it will be a smaller rose for me in general. And I'm ok with that, they can't all be giant & I'm running out of space. But to be honest given the chance I would try it out no matter what. I can't pass the chance on trying out any Austin in my yard!
  • 7 years ago

    I have this rose, it’s about 8-9 years old under a pine tree. It stays small, doesn’t repeat fast. I cut down all the trees a year ago, it might grow taller under full sun this year.

  • 7 years ago


    OhBoy I get to show off one of my favourite Austins!! Love Christopher but be aware he does tend to bend over. Not a tall grower more short and wide.. No problems in my PNW garden.





  • 7 years ago
    These photos are great. How come no one ever recommends him? I for sure want this one now. Please keep the pics coming!
  • 7 years ago

    I've seen this rose recommended for more northerly gardens where the choice isn't as large. Perhaps it's just a sampling of whose on Houzz at the moment? It's a gorgeous rose..... thanks for bring it back up!

  • 7 years ago

    I have it and I really like it although I've only gotten a few blooms so far.

  • 7 years ago

    I have this in my zone 5 garden and he stays pretty small because of losing his canes over the winter as Halloblondie says. I don't get a lot of blooms because of that and just as my original CM got to a good blooming size he didn't come back from a particular winter for some reason. I have a replacement and I think he'll be fine. He's not among the most hardy of my Austins however, so give him a little protection.

    Cynthia

  • 7 years ago

    I honestly didn't know if he was available anywhere, and I remember reading some didn't like his lax growth habit. So that's my reason. I did post about him when I first joined and said I liked hin.

  • 7 years ago
    I did read that this one had a sprawling nature. I'm wondering if it might be a good one in a large & tall pot on my patio. So that it may hang over the sides. Or it may look awkward? I obviously would have to bring the pot into the garage for the winter. I have never grown roses in pots. I'm currently overwintering a potted blueberry plant. If that survives I may try a few potted roses. Jubilee Celebration is one that I may pot up as well. It is going into it's 3rd year here and I gave it a large area in between Charles Austin & Gertrude & it is puny compared to them. I just picked up a couple of 20×20 inch planters that would be ideal for a few smaller roses here.
  • 7 years ago
    @Alana - Christopher Marlowe is listed on the David Austin website.
  • 7 years ago

    He was talking of discontinuing alot of his older Rose's at one time, so I didn't know. I don't know which ones he was discontinuing, just remember it was alot of older ones.

  • 7 years ago
    Good to know, thanks for the info!
  • 7 years ago

    Hi HalloBlondie - Here's my Christopher Marlowe. I hope it posts this time!




    He's moderately fragrant, wider than tall, variable in color, but can have some big thorns. He's growing in a part sun, part shade spot which makes him valuable because I don't have a lot of sunny spots left. I do like this rose!

    Ann

  • 7 years ago
    @Ann - Of course you would grow this one. As I recall you have a whole lot of Austin's in your garden, old & new! It's the images that show the yellow button eye that get me on this rose.
  • 7 years ago

    I Love Him! I’ve had him for many years and he’s a no fuss bloomer for me. Doesn’t get huge but will throw a few lanky canes. Love the color.