Software
Houzz Logo Print
lynh12

Entryway decor

7 years ago
I’m stumped. Everything I put here looks wrong. Didn’t like the first bench so I bought this one with the back. I’m not sure about what to put on the wall either. It is a large open space so I need it to flow with everything else. Colors are black, blue/teal orange, cream.

Paint the bench black? What about a faux animal skin for underneath? Artwork suggestions?

Comments (47)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The artwork isn't working in the space. I think a console table would work better than a bench, but with a thinner or smaller art work.

  • 7 years ago

    I agree.....longer bench or console table (with bench underneath if you like) plus taller, thinner art and accessories

  • 7 years ago
    I’d like to keep a place for sitting since it is where my kids sit to put on shoes, etc. I’ll look for a longer one!
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Yes.....you need a longer bench and the artwork should be either round or triangular, so it does not fight with the stairs. These photos are not necessarily your style, but showing you how a rond piece does not fight with the stairs.



  • 7 years ago
    I agree with the others. A much longer bench. I would also remove the picture and the side table. Just have the bench on its own.
  • 7 years ago
    Agree with those that say you should have a longer bench. I think it could be chunkier in style too, if that’s something you’d like. Maybe something with a solid back with arms. Also agree that a gallery wall that follows the line of the stairs, or a round piece, would fit better. Even several round pieces in various sizes would look cool (you can sets of mirrors in various sizes)... if you’d like a funkier look.
  • 7 years ago

    I actually think if you took away the art and the stool the bench would look great as is, by itself. I might scoot it over to be closer to the edge of the wall and roughly aligned with where the drywall starts on the stairs.

  • 7 years ago

    The bench is too short. Also, the frame of the art is too chunky next to that bench.

    You could use a longer bench or have a console table with ottomans under for seating



    here is a photo of a bench similar to yours..you can see the size of it compared to the length of the wall



  • 7 years ago
    Stiff spindles on stairs. Stiff spindles on the bench back. Stiff dots in the art. No color, no texture, no natural shapes, no rug, no softness. I think you are just trying to fill an empty space. The first thing I would change is the art piece. It may work better in another spot. Then add a rug or a runner.
    Art is personal. Buy what you like to look at, not because of its color or size or style.
  • 7 years ago
    Without artwork and table. I agree I think there are too many spindles going on. Would this mirror work? This is the living room that it is open to. I like to say my style is modern boho with a touch of glam.
  • 7 years ago
    Better?
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pretty living room! The bench seems diminutive in relation to the scale of your home.


    We need to see photos of the entire front hall. Thanks.

  • 7 years ago
    It’s a weird triangle space at the end of a short hallway. One door is the coat closet and the slatted door is the entry from the garage.
  • 7 years ago
    Now that you've shown more of your hallway, I can now see why you went with the smaller bench. You may not have room for anything longer. The latest way you've restyled looks fussy and cluttered to me. It's a small wall with the angle of the stairs, vents and light switches. Adding all the other stuff to the bench is too much. Just leave the bench on its own, maybe add a small toss cushion. Would love to see that bench painted black.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks for the photos. The shorter bench makes sense now.

    With kids putting on and off shoes and the garage right there, that rug will not survive long, so I think I'd take that out. I recommend this shape.

    It is going to be hard to find a more boho feel in a shape like this, but worth looking.



  • 7 years ago
    Maybe a unique, talk coatrack. Old fashioned to hand coat when guests come in, if no mud room or closet nearby?
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Using your round mirror as an anchor, you could add several smaller mirrors.


  • 7 years ago
    Going to try this for a few days. I ordered an orange runner to bring in other colors from the living room.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    We think it might be nice to try something like in our designs we included below. We are not sure the bench you have currently works.



  • 7 years ago
    following
  • 7 years ago
    Thank you Courtney those are very pretty. but I actually need a bench here for people to get shoes on etc. I’m thinking of painting the bench black as someone else mentioned or even getting a different bench.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I presume that is the front door at then end of the long hall. It feels off-putting to have a bench at the end of the hall the curves away from you. That is why I suggest a demilune shape

    Stand in the front entrance and you will see what I mean, See how this shape feels better.

  • 7 years ago
    This was my solution for my staircase. I have three antique grain buckets to collect my kids shoes.
  • 7 years ago

    following

  • 7 years ago
    I see what you are saying about the angle but isn’t that the way a lot of entryways are? I thought that I softened it somewhat by putting the woven basket and throw blanket there. A rectangle console would be another sharp edge pointing at guests coming through the front door.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Yes. You did soften it and it looks much better. In this case, your bench is sort of sitting in the walkway. I think it does feel much better, though.

  • 7 years ago
    Thoughts?
  • 7 years ago

    I like the above! It's so much better than the original pics. I might lower the mirror a bit so it's more in relation with the table.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks! I have a bench coming this week so I will decide between them.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I thought you needed a bench? Could we please see a photo from the front hall looking toward the back hall? Thanks.

  • 7 years ago

    I do! I ordered a bench. Just for fun I tried this console that is currently in my living room. Just testing it out. It doesn't work in my living room either ;)

  • 7 years ago

    I like this combo much better

  • 7 years ago
    Console versus new bench. I really like both! If I keep the bench I think I will get a bigger mirror
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If your kids need it to remove shoes, I'd keep the bench. The rug softens the feel from the front hall.....like you are not walking into a bench.

  • 7 years ago
    like the console myself, but the bench is alright too, if you need one there.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks!
  • 7 years ago

    i think i like the bench

  • 7 years ago
    Can I ask where you purchased the first bench? I’m looking for something similar for my house. Thanks!
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    So you need a longer horizontal element as an anchor and a vertical element on the wall. That blue bench is not working for your space. Too short. Makes no statement



    Ashley Furniture

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Could we please see a photo from the front hall? Thanks.

  • 7 years ago
    The bench is from Wayfair by Mod Made!
  • 7 years ago
    View from front door
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You've done a great job with your house.

    The reason I kept asking for a view from the front door, is this is what I thought: the bench is in the middle of a walkway. I'd prefer nothing on the floor (no table or bench).


    I would hang something on the wall.


    If the kids need a bench to remove their shoes, is there somewhere else it could be placed?

  • 7 years ago
    I see what you are saying! Unfortunately our laundry room entrance is just a ‘pass through’ size. I think removing that rug really helped in making the bench area feel larger. And the new linger bench seems to disappear into the wall, or at least I haven’t bumped into it yet!
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    You haven't bumped into it yet, because of the basket and bear rug. While those 2 items help not bumping into the bench, it just feels a little contrived to me. The rest of your house has clean lines.


    Would you consider a demilune bench (half circle)?

  • 7 years ago
    I would keep the bench but remove the pillow and rug. It will be much easier to use it to take off/put on shoes without those in the way. And no one is going to curl up and read a book there. :)