Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_williams67

has anyone ever had a duvet

J Williams
5 years ago

that was so warm you can’t sleep and feel ill after a few hours of trying? I’m usually a cold sleeper, I once slept in an unheated hotel with 2 duvets (I stole the one from the adjacent bed) on and probably long underwear and it was Spring. This gosh darn duvet is so hot I think I could make a bed in a snowbank (we’ve got lots of fresh snow) and get a good nights sleep. It was supposed to be an all year one. God help the person trying to sleep in summer with this, I think if I had to I would simply expire. I feel like the couple of times I’ve tried I sparked off a series of really really horrible migraines, we’ve had similar issues with a too artificial matress protector and an Ikea winter weight duvet as well. I feel physically ill and feverish, not to mention dehydrated. It is below zero, well below, and we have in floor heating, plus this is a draughty old house. WTH do I do with a duvet like this? Our old one is beyond the pale which is why we keep trying to find its replacement. I have been sleeping (naked) with it just laying along my side or just covering my bottom half, and waking periodically to get out of bed so it cools down again to absolutely no avail.

Comments (38)

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Wow that is some duvet! What is it made of? If I had to guess, I would say polyester that is non breathable

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

it’s supposed to be just down, but it’s like a nuclear reactor level of heat

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Haha. I bet it’s not just down. I once bought a very thick coat I thought would be perfect (puffer coat).for a trip in the mountains and a lot of snow. It was absolutely freezing! I couldn’t wear this coat because it was too hot and I just sweated like crazy with it on. It didn’t breath and as it turned out had a lot of polyester in it. I have used a duvet for many years now and love them. Maybe check the content label?

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

Sounds like the duvet and duvet cover are not the way for you to go, maybe to heavy of a comforter, a little lighter perhaps, I know you can't test them out at the store, too bad.

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We’ve had a duvet for I think 20 years at least of one sort or another, it’s probably been longer. It’s insane how hot it is, and as I got it on sale, online, I am wondering if we even got what we ordered, maybe a sales person took whatever they had at hand. But it still wasn’t cheap, and it is a reputable name brand. So duvet #3?? Meanwhile, I have no earthly idea what use this current one is. I’ve thought about washing it multiple times to break it down.

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Could it be the cover material? Down duvets are made is different weights, but even ones with high fill content shouldn’t be as hot as you describe.
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    We have the LL Bean in the light weight. Our house is at 65 degrees in the winter, and it’s almost too warm. We started with the medium weight and it was too hot and heavy.
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

I don’t like duvets, rather have a more tailored coverlet , remove or fold back at bedtime & rely on blanket (s). I find them too bulky looking, but my house is more contemporary.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

Yes,

I once bought a duvet like that, couldn't use it. Years ago at Macy's they had different weight duvets and naively bought the heaviest weight.

• lindahambleton
    5 years ago

Anyone use the weightEd blanket?

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I did NOT order the heaviest weight after the disaster of the Ikea winter weight, which my hubby thought would be a treat for me as I’m a cold sleeper. Duvets are just practical, if I had to solely rely on coverlets I’d probably end up stacking multiple ones, as I need pressure on me to fall asleep, and I usually have trouble warming up at night. I usually only overheat when we have to sleep somewhere with furnace heat.

• partim
    5 years ago

As you have discovered, down is very warm. You need a different duvet. Can you link us to the duvet online?

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hmm, a weighted blanket sounds interesting, interesting also that they mention that they are good for add and anxiety lol.

• licarabott
    5 years ago
    Buy a bedjet! It works fantastic in keeping you either cool or warm if that is your preference. I’d be dead without mine!
  • J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don’t think so, but I get feverish with migraines, so it’s a chicken/egg situation, was I feverish because I was going to get a migraine anyways? or am I getting migraines BECAUSE the duvet is making me feverish? And it’s pretty peculiar that 2x now that we’ve tried to use this duvet I’ve had intractable migraines.

• talaveran
    5 years ago

Sounds awful! I have seen a down comforter on the Cuddledown site that has open weave parts between the batting to provide more airflow. I wonder though, if you have an allergy to that particular down - it said duck down. I had a very odd and immediate reaction to duck eggs last year, that came from nowhere. Maybe try other fillings? Or back to layers of old school wool. I hope you can figure it out.

• Kat M
    5 years ago
    We have slept with down comforter with Egyptian cotton duvet covers for years. Love them. We use a fitted sheet and duvet cover, they are changed and washed just like the sheet and pillowcases. You must purchase a comforter that is rated for your climate and how you sleep. Here is a basic guide: https://www.pacificcoast.com/blog/comforters/how-to-choose-a-comforter.html
  • J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

we have cold weather from October to April so...also it was rated all season and the fill amount was in the mid to lower level according to your web site..

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

i live under down comforters summer and winter. I have very light weight throws in the living room for watching tv. I would look locally before buying one online. You can still buy online once you find a brand and weight you like. There really are a lot of different weights. I've found the heavier weight ones are warmer. The weight could be a combination of the fill and the cover. I bought my first 2 used from a Swedish woman probably 25 years ago and they may have been 15 when I bought them. they are a twin and full size so I don't use them much anymore. They're really light weight but I think a lot better quality than ones you can buy now.

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

down duvets are massively expensive, (unless buying from Ikea) so getting one at more than 1/2 off unfortunately sucked me in.. I don’t think we have quite as many options as people in the US for ex.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Posting a hint or 2 too.... I roll up a down comforter a size smaller than the bed and place it at the head of the bed Behind our pillows against the headboard. It's always there handy winter and summer to use if you are to cold. Just reach behind you for an extra covering. Has come in handy when my husband isn't home. I know this is NOT your problem but could be somet to consider for summer. I also wash mine at home. The new larger washers and dryers work great.. add those dryer balls you can by and make sure they are totally dry. It takes awhile. You could try a lighter weight down.

• tangerinedoor
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Are you sure the problem is the duvet and not a memory foam mattress?

I've used down duvets for decades since I grew up in Europe. I have never met one that's too hot for me.

However, sometimes the down gets distributed more in one half or another. Sometimes my duvet cover is too large and the duvet ends up more over the foot of the bed that around my shoulders.... Could you try one of those options on purpose?

Or, you could recreate the problem that people have with sleeping bags when all of a sudden they can't figure out why the sleeping bag has gone dead. The reason is they store it all squashed up. The trapped air is what keeps you warm. If you compress the bag, the fill fibers don't bounce back (though down survives better), so the sleeping bag loses warmth. Maybe you could get squash some air out of your overly hot bag?

Don't use a sheet except underneath you. The air between a top sheet and the duvet cover adds to the warmth. Consider the whole point of layering clothes...more warmth. Sheet + duvet cover = layered bed clothes.

I get nerve problems if my bed is too hot (i.e. when I use a hot water bottle that's too hot). They shoot pain down my legs and back. This may be similar to your migraines.

I have been known to pack a little ice around my legs etc. if I overheat.

If it's still all too hot sell it. Someone will be glad to buy a good quality new down comforter at a bargain price.

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

huh, interesting about your nerve disorder, I never knew that, migraines are kind of like a nervous system disfunction, anything that “goes wrong” becomes catostrophic according to my internal systems like weather changes, too much heat, steam, dust, sound, smells, light, you name it, its aggravating

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Answer?

No foam on the bed anywhere

Use TWO 100% cotton quilts. You will have far more temp versatility.....nice weight on top of you

Only percale sheets. Sateen is too warm.

Use a 100 % cotton mattress pad as well.

I love the look of a duvet cover over solid quilts. But I treat it as a folded down decorative end to the bed. I can't sleep with it, it's either too warm or too cool. And yes, my room is like a damn meat locker all year.

• lawsonch19
    5 years ago

Have used LLBean duvets for years on all of our beds, medium weight...perfect. You may want to check them out, maybe in light weight?

• printesa
    5 years ago

I have a duvet and sometimes I do get too hot, but usually that happens when I'm with a migraine or a recovering from a cold. During normal nights, I'm ok. I prefer cold so we went with a medium weight duvet..I'm glad we like it because it was very pricey.

Also, try linen for the sheets. They tend to keep you cool.

If you like weight, try a weighted blanket

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I'm allergic to down, so no! I picked up a throw pillow at my friends house and my nose started itching. She reminded me they are down.

• J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Not surprisingly, LL Bean does not sell duvets here, and they are mega expensive for whatever basic stuff they offer anyways, also on the US site they call them “comforters” which I’ve never known them to be called before, if intended to be used with a cover. I think now that I stretch my memory back, I did use down comforters at a cottage as a kid, but they were already antiques (as these things often are) and came with finished covers. My childhood bed had a pink quilted sateen coverlet (yikes!!) with multiple flannels to make it warm. As I got older I think I was allowed to use a family made quilt that was probably cotton. It was probably when I moved out of my parents house I acquired my 1st duvet, I remember that getting the covers was a little tricky and expensive back then. That was well before internet shopping was even an idea, although whether in person or on line, you can’t exactly test bedding before you buy. We’ve lost a lot of our middling sort of family stores here, Target came in and killed off whatever Zellers were still sort of basically functioning, Sears expired and the Bay became upscale. Eatons died a long time ago and stores like Kmart were never exactly great in their heydays, nor Woolco and their like, basically like large dollar stores albiet with built in diners.

• mont
    5 years ago
    Could it be an allergic reaction?
  • J Williams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don’t think so, I may try beating it into submission and wearing it down when this mini ice age ends.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

We have a really neat duvet from Ikea it comes in 2 layers so that you can have very light one for the summer then either use the little heavier one in the fall or snap them together in the really cold winter.They are all goose down and I survived menopause with just the light one and hubby used a blanket on his side for extra warmth. I have now converted to a coverlet with our new bed as I found the duvets look kind of sloppy but in the really cold winter I still use a duvet under the coverlet.

• Chelsey Hilsdon
    5 years ago
    After sweating through 2 duvets despite the Minnesota winter, I finally found one that works. It’s one of the summer weight duvets at IKEA. I haven’t used it during summer yet but it’s worked well through autumn and winter so far!
  • Dee Doyle
    4 years ago

Ikea duvets are actually nice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Old post but Ikea used to have a 2 part duvet they snapped together if you wanted really warm but the single lighter one was perfect for summer. I still have them but use them in my gues room like an extra at the foot of the bed I have long since gone to coverlets I prefer a much more tailored looking bed and I love coverlets for that look.

• J Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Because replacing the duvet was too expensive right now, we are just using a stack of heavy sheets, coverlets and wool blankets, plus a faux fur one, so we can adjust the weight and warmth. I usually end up throwing something off in the middle of the night and putting something back on in the morning if it is really cold, lol.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Don’t you have sheets and a light blanket???? You know, layers so you can add and subtract according to how you are feeling. Hot? Kick off the duvet and maybe the blanket. Cold? Cover up.