Software
Houzz Logo Print
hippiechick33

Tradescant, and Other Missing Things

Hello People of the Forum,

My name is Terri. I am new to this forum, but not new to roses. I used to be on the old Garden Web forum as, you guessed it, Hippychick, lol. I had over 120 different roses, but after I sold my home, I didnt ever plant another rose until this year. I dont know if there are any "old timers" here, but I am hoping some of you can tell me whats up these days.


Tradescant, a David Austin rose, was my all time favorite fragrant red rose. Its gone!! Somehow in the ten years that I sat lifeless and boring, they all disappeared, lol. Ive been looking for weeks. I even called David Austin, and the lady who answered the phone had never even heard of it. That made me very sad. So I joined this forum, as the other one is gone too.


I tried Heirloom, but they didnt have it. And wow, did they get expensive or what, lol? I saw Chamblees is temporarily closed.... Best Wishes Mark, not that you would remember me, but I remember your place :) And ARE doesnt have it either. I dont remember any other stores I used (no offense meant to the great stores I have forgotten).


I ended up buying 3 br roses from DA (when did they get so cheap?). I grabbed up a Munstead Wood as they look the closest to my beloved Tradescant, but when it got here, I realized I had made a noob error and not checked how big it would get. Only 3 feet. Tradescant was over 7 foot tall, 4 feet wide.


Any ideas People of the Rose? Any new shops I should know about? Anyone know where I can find my Tradescant?


Thank you in advance, Terri





Comments (30)

  • 7 years ago

    Hello Terri and welcome back !!

    I see tradescant listed on help me find with angel gardens in Florida. I would email or call Pam , even if it’s not on her website you never know . Sometimes she’s had to grow a rose a bit for me but she always remembers and gets them to me.

    I hope you can find it ! :)

    hippiechick33 8B, TX thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Lily! I just sent her an email as it is not listed on the site. I appreciate your help :)

  • 7 years ago

    No problem !!

    i can’t imagine how hard it was to leave behind that many roses. It’s actually something I’m facing now . Our home is on the market , not sure if it will sell or not ( not seeming hopeful which is fine by me! ) but I have almost 200 roses plus a clematis collection and countless daylilys I want to bring. I have done a mental list of who comes with me, heaven forbid I can’t find them again . I actually found elusive “peach silk “ from Pam.. not leaving that behind ! Plus some things I just don’t want to pay for again.

    I hope you will share photos of your new garden with us ! I’ve been on GW since 2006 I think.. despite the new format and some bumps on the road it’s so helpful here and such a family. There’s no people like rose people !

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, Lilyfinch! You’re moving?! How devastating! You’re garden is so beautiful, and you’ve put in so much time and love. I hope you’re able to bring much of your collection with you.

  • 7 years ago

    Aw thanks dillybean! Well if it doesn’t sell I’ll be so relieved. But I plan on taking as much as I can ! It looks so drab now .. no wonder it’s not appealing . But come spring it should look promising. Who knows ! :)

  • 7 years ago

    So sorry to hear you may be selling your place, Lilyfinch. All that work - and to such good effect. And I love your outlook. Well, I'm sure if you do move, you'll create something equally beautiful elsewhere.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you John, I'll look into it.


    @Lilyfinch, Be careful! That is how I lost all of my roses, except the ones in containers, and that wasn't many, nor any of my favorites. In Texas you have to tell your realtor, and have it listed in the contract that you will be taking specific roses with you. You also have to replace them with something else.


    I didnt learn that until after my house had a contract on it. I figured I would just take the roses I wanted, and put shrubs in, but I wasnt allowed to. Once there is a contract, it is no longer your house. Anything in the ground, at least in Texas, has to stay in the ground, or be specifically listed as going with you before signing. Ask your realtor about the laws in your state.


    A young, single, man bought my house. I met him and talked to him. He hated the roses and wasnt going to keep a single one of them, but he wouldnt let me pull them as he wanted to choose what bushes went in the ground and he wasnt ready to do it yet. He wanted them left there until he was ready to do it.


    He didnt even give them away. He just chopped them all down to nothing and pulled the roots and burned them all. A mature rose garden. All antiques and DA's. I cried for weeks, gave the rest in containers away to people who loved them, and never planted another rose until today.


    I remarried a few years ago and we just bought this property to stay in till the day we die, lol. It's not garden ready yet. When we bought it we were going to tear this old house down and build a new one, but health problems in the fall required quite a bit of savings. Until I have the new house built, Im growing in containers, lol.


    I've started with an old favorite, Jude the Obscure. I also found two new ones, the Munstead Woods, and Desdemona. I do have a spot that could handle a Tradescant picked out, so when I find one, it will be the only one in the ground till the new home us up.


    Once I get some blooms going, I'll send picks of my new babies :)


    I sure have missed Rose People.




  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oh Lily, it is not easy. I am sitting in a townhome right now about 3 miles away from the over 200 roses I left in my garden here. Annie Laurie Mc Dowell, Purple Lodge, Candace, just to name a few of those that are no longer available/hard to get are growing in that garden!! Right now, I just hope the roses are being properly tended to by the gardeners. Should we sell everything here in Las Vegas, those roses will be left behind. The roses cannot be transported across the country, even from a place that has no known cases of RRD etc. for example, to an area that may already have certain pests. I gave the other 50+ roses to a rose-loving neighbor and a couple of friends. At least I know that duplicates of the special roses I acquired will continue to be cared for and loved.

    If you are remaining in TN, can you dig up the most special roses, place them in pots and take them with you? I did that in Las Vegas during April and did not lose a rose...When we moved into the house we know rent, I potted up and took 60 roses from our old home there. Another thing to consider, once the house is listed, it is assumed that the plants there at the time ( advertisements with images of the garden) will remain. There can definitely be legal consequences if plants there when the house was listed are gone when the new buyers take possession. We had it written in the sales listing that roses in pots, some of the garden art, etc. would be coming with us.



    I thought Tradescant was discontinued. If I am not mistaken, Romgen got the last of what some vendor (D.A?) had.... If other vendors are selling it and I am correct, finding this rose available anywhere could become more challenging. I would get what I could now, Hippiechick...

  • 7 years ago

    Hello, Terri. So happy to welcome you to our little group of rose lovers. Your story brought tears to my eyes, but it sounds like things are hopeful for you now. I can't imagine anyone as heartless as the fella who bought your house. There was a thread here once about what we would do if we moved and had to leave our roses behind. I've always said that I would stay on in the barn as caretaker. I've never grown Tradescant, but remember it well. I hope one of the nurseries mentioned above will come through. Jude, Munstead and Desdemona are favorites of many of us. We all miss Garden Web, as posting here can be frustrating, even challenging, but we're getting used to it. I hope you'll stay.

  • 7 years ago

    Munstead Wood is wonderful! What a sad story about the person who bought your former house not letting you take your roses with you. I bet he regretted not letting you take the roses when he finally went to try and dig out your mature plants, thorns and all. I don't understand how people can be do needlessly cruel to others.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh my gosh your story is soo heartbreaking!! What a senseless act . I have informed our realtor more than he cares to hear that plants will be pulled and all my garden arches and benches and trellis won’t be staying. He’s not a plant person so I have to repeat myself constantly about them. We had words when he asked me to cut down a lot of things. as long as it’s my house I will do what I please !

    I wish you and your husband so many happy years in the new home and garden!! I’m doing all my new ones in pots too . Desdemona is gorgeous! You will love it

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Welcome back, Terri! Not only don't I understand how people can be so cruel to other people, I don't understand how they can be so cruel to nature. I have a hard time killing most plants (there are exceptions: elms, Bermuda grass, etc.) and always think about it before pulling or cutting down a weed or a shrub. It seems really morally wrong to me to destroy healthy, harmless, beautiful roses as if they were just things.

    The good thing is, if my own experience is anything to go by, that once you're well launched making your new garden, you'll stop grieving for the old one. I hope your new garden is wonderful, and you able to enjoy it for many, many years. And I wish you luck finding the roses you're looking for.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all for a such a warm and kind welcome. I did try all of the places mentioned in this thread, Hummingbird may have it, but they are not taking orders till the fall.

    I will certainly find one somewhere. I dont know how or where, but I know someone out there has Tradescant, lol.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Hi hippiechick..

    I can tell you who has 20 Tradescants… a member here called Romogen who lives in California got 20 from DA Tyler a couple of years ago, probably the last of the batch they had left before discontinuing... I don't think he posts here any more but you might try messaging him here or on HMF maybe? see if he can send cuttings perhaps? just a suggestion, I've no idea how things work in America..

    I'm sorry for your other problems over the last several years, but I can empathise completely over the loss of your rose garden.. the same thing happened to me when I sold up to a young couple... all my arches and tons of roses all disappeared to be replaced by lawn.. I didn't blame them really, young people don't want all those roses... incidentally, it's the same here when contracts are signed, you cannot take anything from the garden from then on.. unless you have agreed in writing with the buyer that you intend to take such and such with you...

    ...best wishes, and look forward to seeing some photos of your roses when ready..

    p.s. here's Romogen's thread about the last Tradescants he obtained, he posted on the Roses forum here..


    [Roses forum[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/the-last-tradescant-dsvw-vd~4492079?n=50)

    hippiechick33 8B, TX thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much Marlorena! I sent him an email, but it says he hasnt been active here in a long time. Thank you for thinking of it <3

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Terri, welcome (from across the apond in Europe!). I see a number of posts and posters here that havrhave tips on sourcing Tradescant (one person recently ordered 20) so ai think you can find resources. If you would like an alternative however, I can certainly recommend Falstaff- the form is exquisite and the fragrance divine! It is also fairly vigorous.

  • 7 years ago

    Angel Gardens shows that they carried it at one time. You might want to check with them. BTW, welcome back!

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Sean, that thread where the guy got 20 was a really old thread I brought back from the dead, lol. Im still trying to reach him. The only place in the entire world I saw one, was in New Zealand.


    @Mustbenuts.. did you used to be on the old Garden Webb forum? I swear I remember your name and roses. Maybe Im nuts, lol. Lots of people say so, lol.

  • 7 years ago

    hippiechick..

    Sorry you're not having any luck... I've got a couple other suggestions for you..

    Romogen, who got the 20 Tradescants above, is also on HMF, although checking that I see he hasn't been on there either for some time... I feel almost certain this is him there, as Benaminh.. If you are able to, it might be worth sending him a PM on that site..


    Romogen on HMF

    I also notice that another former member here Calif Sue has Tradescant listed on her profile on HMF... she is a moderator on the NGA forum and is very active there and also on HMF... so there's another chance to send her a pm and see if she can help you out... or register on NGA [lots of members here are also on there too]… and speak to her there..?..

    Hope you get something sorted...

    hippiechick33 8B, TX thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Welcome back, Terri! I'm beyond sorry for what happened to your beloved roses. I hope that you will soon have a lovely rose garden, with hopefully your very special Tradescant in it.

  • 7 years ago

    Good news all. The thread that John sent me to, sent me to the vendor, and they have it! Yay!!. They wont be ready until summer. Im not sure how that will work. She said July. Thats way too hot here to plant.


    I'll figure out something, lol.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, I have been around for a while and was on the old Garden Forum and before that, on the AOL roses chat rooms. Been around a long while.

  • 7 years ago

    Can you keep the rose in a large pot in a shady area until the weather is cooler? So glad you found your rose.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes. It occurred to me that it most likely wont be a bareroot at that time of year, so no worries.

  • 7 years ago

    Hummingbird Roses does not sell bareroot roses, rather band-sized rooted cuttings. If you plant these rooted cuttings with a good mix of soil amendment and garden soil in a one gallon pot or larger, you would have a nice size plant to put in your garden in spring, if not sooner.

  • 7 years ago

    Hey Terri,


    It's just a pity but it is definitely not just New Zealand that you can get Tradescant- it is very much available online in Germany and here in the Netherlands, at least. No comfort to you though because while I would happily ship you a bare root plant (I really would), it wouldn't get past your customs. Right...? But anyway, you found one that you will have to wait a little bit for but it'll be worth the wait and have even more of a story when it grows.


    I was indeed thinking when you mentioned the timeline for availability that it is probably a rooted cutting, just coming into spring growth, or possibly a graft. Which is why you have to wait until about July when they are growing more vigorously.


    Tip there for you Terri- when you get a rose that you love, propagate with your pruning material. Here, we have to prune in Autumn because of the weather, and all it takes is 8 inch lengths of the stuff we would throw away, some rooting hormone and a very loose potting mix, and you just sit them in pots in a greenhouse or other sheltered area over winter, and mostly forget about them. Come spring, you have some success and some failures but hey- it's still free new plants from stuff that was going into the waste, so win-win. I have 3 Falstaff happily growing in pots now from that method and they bloomed already in that first year....try and stop them!

  • 7 years ago

    @ John,

    It's Palantine that wrote me back. Im a bit concerned about their policy of 3. I dont mind buying three roses, lol. But shipping for 3 is listed at close to $160.00. Thats a lot, lol. I'll really have to think about that.


    Hummingbird is a fall call, but I will be calling. Thank you so much John. Your info is the one that has really panned out. And what you guys did to save the Austin's? Thats a blessing for us all. Thank you. Seriously.


    @Sean I used to propagate. Funny story about my first time. We have a BBQ place called the Salt Lick. Its an amazing restaurant, very well known, and huge lines to get in, so lots of time waiting. As I am waiting with my teenager sons, I cant help but notice these amazing white rose trees they have. Prettiest, fullest bloom, standards I have seen. They almost glowed in the dark. But I didnt get close to it as I was holding our place in line. I asked my son to get me a couple of cuttings while we waited. He almost bled to death, lol. That should have been my first clue, lol.


    It was my first time, but all three cuttings rooted well. So easy it hurt my feelings when I had to let them die, lol. They were Mermaids, lol. It never occurred to me to make a standard out of Mermaids. I had no place to put a Mermaid, lol.


    I always planned on putting Mermaid on a back fence I never had to approach again (As a security measure), but I didnt have room for that then, lol.


    Speaking of Mermaid, I just got Munstead Wood in... surely that little guy has Mermaid in there somewhere?!

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Terri,


    I have ordered from both Palatine and Hortico many times. While they recommend that you use 3 day shipping if you live in TX or CA, they don't insist on it. The cost for shipping 3 to 9 roses is $32.95. Whenever I order roses from Canada, I wait until I can find 9 that I want before I order, in order to keep the shipping cost per rose as low as possible. I realize that not everyone can do that, but if you can, then the cost is $32.95/9 = $3.66 per rose, which is not bad.


    Palatine packs their roses really well in a thick black plastic bag with moistened packing material around the roots. I have them shipped in November when it is cool. It takes around 6-8 days to get here and they always arrive in excellent shape. They do have an excellent selection and the quality of the roses is quite good.


    Their roses are only in the field for a single summer: they are budded/grafted in September, planted in the field and harvested the following November in the following year. Roses produced in CA and other rose-growing areas of the US usually spend 2 summers in the field before harvest. The Canadian roses typically have larger root systems (Rosa multiflora rootstock) than US grown roses (Dr. Huey rootstock), with some roots exceeding 18 inches in length. The caliper of the canes of the Canadian roses is thinner, but the caliper of the new canes on the Canadian roses catches up quickly. Since the rootstock of the Canadian roses is grown from seed, you have a much lower chance of getting a virused rose. Overall, the Canadian roses do as the grafted and own-root roses produced in the USA, in my garden. It sometimes seems a few of my Canadian roses are even more vigorous than the other roses: I had a grafted 'Radio Times' rose from Canada, a David Austin shrub, that threw a 15 foot cane!

  • 7 years ago

    Im not sure Ive ever had a grafted rose before. I must have as my boys would buy me hybrid teas for holidays. Distant Drums did well. I liked that rose. But I didnt pay a lot of attention to the HTs. They also got me a Double Delight. They did ok, but not as well as the OGRs I had on their own roots. I just assumed it was because they were Home Depot type purchases they could grab quick, and not purchased from reputable vendors.


    It will be fun to compare.