0
kcandmilo

Confession: I dug up a citrus today

kcandmilo

Today I finally pulled the plug (sorta) on my underperforming Rangpur lime. It has never been happy, and many of you thought it was the proximity to a stone and concrete wall that might made it a bad location, despite the full sun. ( I replaced it with a gorgeous rose btw) The Rangpur lime is now sitting in a 5 gallon container filled with its own soil. It is a dwarf variety.

The question is: replant somewhere else? Anything i should do before I replant? I could make room near my calamondin for it.

KC

• poncirusguy6b452xx

Moving it sounds good. If it is on flying dragon it will grow slow anywhere.

Steve

kcandmilo thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • kcandmilo

Thanks, Steve! I'll see if the label says anything. It's from Four Winds, I know.

KC

• Laura LaRosa (7b)

Keep it keep it keep it!!! I love my Rangpur lime. It is very prolific, beautiful, the leaves are great to use for cooking, and the fruit are great for cooking.

kcandmilo thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • kcandmilo

OK, Laura! That lavender sitting in a prime spot has its days numbered! Will transplant!

KC

• kcandmilo

'tis done! Dug out a lavender and planted the Rangpur there instead. The only issue is that it is a bit close to the swale required by the city for rain water harvesting, but we don't get enough rain after winter to be much of an issue, I think! Let's hope it likes this spot better.

So no fertilizing, right? Until it settles down a bit?

KC

• Laura LaRosa (7b)

Nice! I think it would be best to wait till it settles in before fertilizing, but I am no expert on in-ground trees. I hope it does well in that spot!

kcandmilo thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • hibiscus909

Glad you were able to find a new spot for it

kcandmilo thanked hibiscus909
  • kcandmilo

Aaargh! We went from highs in the 50s and cloudy and rainy to dry and over 70 on Sunday! The newly transplanted Rangpur burned to a crisp! I watered it again, and there is some cloudiness forecast for tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

KC

• jenny_in_se_pa

KC - you could consider putting a beach umbrella or tarp over it too if it needs some shade...

kcandmilo thanked jenny_in_se_pa
  • kcandmilo

Thanks, Jenny! As luck would have it, it was just one random day of heat! It's overcast with rain predicted and temps in the 50s again today! Hoping the tree will recover!

KC

• jenny_in_se_pa

Well that is a relief KC!!! Hope your baby gets settled in. Nothing better than the rain (in moderation) to get the roots regenerating after a transplant!! :-D

kcandmilo thanked jenny_in_se_pa
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)

Yes, I hope it settles into its new spot and that you like it.

kcandmilo thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)