Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenmoranuk

Click flooring NOT the woodgrain look?

Karenmo
5 years ago

Which "click floor" vendors offer good choices that don't try to simulate wood floors?

I know that at the moment the woodgrain plank look is the big thing with the Luxury Vinyl Tile product/click tile market. But my project is in a huge basement rec room with paneling that is made with real wood, in a nice light color, and I want to keep that. A wood pattern on the floor would clash too much for me in this large space.

We need to cover the current vinyl tile floor. The click installation is so appealing -- no smelly adhesives! But in my initial explorations for this project, I've had to give up on two highly recommended installers since the brands they work with offered very few options other than the wood plank look.

Seems like there must be some brands that offer good non-woodgrain alternatives (without going to the beautiful but pricey Marmoleum), so just wondered what others have found.

Comments (13)

• Kitty Lanier
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mohawk has a Uniclick product with stone look tiles that I like. We put the Crema color in our kitchen after an under slab leak, and we really like it. It’s very easy to care for with just a damp microfiber mop. There are several nice colors to choose from. The Coral Reef color is pretty, too. mohawkflooring.com/luxury-vinyl-tile

COREtec Plus also has several colors available. coretecfloors.com/products

Good luck in your search.

Karenmo thanked Kitty Lanier
  • Kitty Lanier
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Congoleum Triversa has some pretty patterns and colors, too. Congoleum.com

I suggest you read reviews on any product you’re interested in for your home.

Karenmo thanked Kitty Lanier
  • blackcats13
    5 years ago

Very hard to find. We finally went with a Smartcore product at Lowe's for our master bath: https://www.lowes.com/pd/SMARTCORE-Pro-8-piece-12-in-x-24-in-Gardena-Marble-Locking-Vinyl-Tile/1000522115

Karenmo thanked blackcats13
  • suseyb
    5 years ago

We Ship Floors is coming out with 4 tile options this summer.

Karenmo thanked suseyb
  • aziline
    5 years ago

We went with CoreTec LVT in our Kitchen and Dining rooms for the similar reasons. Ours is NOCE Travertine. I love that I don't see repeats in the pattern and the color is very forgiving. Ours was laid in a 1/3 offset so the seams aren't very noticeable either.

Karenmo thanked aziline
  • Karenmo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OP here, just checking back to see if anyone has seen the tile options for We Ship Floors mentioned above by suseyb?

Looking on their website, there are a few products listed with "no image available" and two of those might be the kind of wood-look-alternative that I am seeking. See links below. I tried to phone them but just reached a machine (hey, it's Saturday!)

https://www.weshipfloors.com/flooring/supercore-xtreme-carrara-white-spc-30mil-6mm-x-12-x-24-rectangle

https://www.weshipfloors.com/flooring/supercore-xtreme-ivory-travertine-spc-30mil-6mm-x-12-x-24-rectangle

• Diana Megdad
    last year
    last modified: last year

i am also looking for the benefits of vinyl plank that DoNot look like wood. I also do not want any pattern or 'marbling'--just a plain while vinyl plank :( .

• ladebrier
    last year

MaxCore Piano White 7.31 in. W x 48 in. L Click-Lock Luxury Vinyl Planks Flooring (10-piece/24.5 sq.ft. / Case) at home depot. I just came across this yesterday

• Diana Megdad
    last year

thanks for letting me know!

• ladebrier
    last year

For anyone else looking for waterproof luxury vinyl tile that does not look like wood OR stone, OR concrete, there are some.

I have been searching for days. I HAVE existing wood-look Vinyl plank on my first floor, and wanted to extend it into more rooms to replace worn carpeting and guess what?

Shaw doesn't make the flooring anymore, even though it's 4 years old.

SO- What do we all do when we CANNOT match the existing flooring??

I tried to find a "near match" and partially installed it-it LOOKS AWFUL. DO NOT try to do MORE wood look nearby prior wood look planks. It doesn't work, TRUST ME.

What you DO IS- use NON wood -look flooring for the rest of the space, something totally different that isn't trying to match. (Duh. I don't know why I didn't think of this)

Go for stone look, or even concrete look, or, if you don't want those-go for the very few vinyl tiles that are fabric look or patterns. I was doing a bedroom, so I worried that a stone-look bedroom floor would be weird.

First of all, most tile PLANK looks like wood. The non-wood types are usually vinyl TILE not planks. I did not know that when I started.

The vinyl tiles have all the same properties as the planks. I had to really hunt for them.

The frustrating part is that there is NO GOOD WAY to search for them. Websites will sometimes let you filter for "stone look" or "concrete look"--but what if you want "Neither"?

There are no search criteria. So I wound up spending hours just visually searching through websites. I am sharing my results here to save some of you time.

Loew's actually has several in their "Fabcore" line. This one is a woven type look. They have several colors and styles. Personally, I stopped making purchases at Loews for several years due to what I felt were quality issues, but this new line of tile is actually well reviewed.

Lucida USA Appalachian Weave 12-in x 24-in Waterproof Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring (36-sq ft/case)

Also Loew's smartcore has some patterns:

SMARTCORE Paramount 12-in x 24-in Waterproof Interlocking Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring (15.83-sq ft/case)

Also, Home Depot has a few in the "Lifeproof" line.

Lifeproof

16 in. W Brushed White Click Lock Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring (24.89 sq. ft./case)

The brushed white isn't white though, it's a bit purple. I could not make that color work.

Home Depot also has some luxury tile PLANK in a similar color with more pattern:

Lifeproof

8.7 in. W Colorado Click Lock Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (20.06 sq. ft./case)

It also has the purple overtone. But it is one of the few planks ( not tile) that isn't wood look. If you care about planks vs tile.

Floor and Decor has a few that look like porcelain tile a bit:

WHITE VEIN CUT TRAVERTINE RIGID CORE LUXURY VINYL TILE - FOAM BACK

It's supposed to look like travetine, but I think the pattern is subtle enough to just look like simple tile (?)

I finally went with:

Home Depot:

Ivy Hill Tile

Slate Light Gray 12 in. x 24 in. Waterproof Rigid Core Click-Lock Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring (28.04 sq. ft. / case)

It is such a subtle pattern grey that it looks like porcelain tile.

I hope this helps any of you trying to match existing wood-llike vinyl floors. Don't match them! go with something different.

• Geoff Maddock
    last year

I'm in the same boat here. It blows my mind that everything looks like wood. I'm replacing vinyl sheet that's probably from the 70s and while I don't love it, it's a subtle pattern that I like more than anything I can find now, which is wild

• Marie Vetter
    3 months ago

@ladebrier do you have a picture of your space with the flooring you chose?