0
gardenernut

Favourite perpetuals

garden nut z9b

What are your favourite hybrid perpetuals?

• garden nut z9b

I currently have four That I like pretty well.

“Grandmothers hat“ this is probably one of my favourite roses. It is very vigerous and it blooms very reliably.

“ Irene Ford” this rose has been in my family since the first part of the 20th century when it was found Missouri.. this one has a long spring flush and then the bloom is scattered the rest of the season. I like the fragrance on it, it’s strong old rose.

“Barbara’s pasture” so far this rose has compact upright arching growth and is about 4’ wide and a little over 3’ tall. So far it has a large spring flush and then smaller flushes the rest of the season.

“Copperoplis bar“ this one has great looking flowers but tends to put more energy into blooming than growing. I dug it up and potted it for a while to let it put on some growth and it’s now back in the ground. I havent detected much fragrance on it yet.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

‘Irene Ford’ is gorgeous, garden nut! Don’t see that one much. I have baby HPs: Barbara’s Pasture Rose, Old Town Novato, and Paul Neyron. All three have luscious fragrant blossoms, but I’m pretty partial to OTNs scent and bloom. :-)

• lkayetwvz5

Baronne Prevost was my most reliable, then Paul Neyron and Ferdinand Pichard. I know I had more than that but can't remember their names right now. All got BS and the JBs loved them all season long whether flowering or not.

• pat_bamaz7

I got rid of most of mine due to BS and JBs, too. I did keep Paul Neyron for his huge, bright blooms, but he has steadily declined since I went no spray. I think he may be completely dead now unless new growth emerges this spring. I do still have a very vigorous Pulich Children which I love enough to overlook its BS issues (which don't seem as bad as other HPs here). It is such a charmer and smells fantastic.

Pulich Children:

• vaporvac

I don't yet grow any, but so admired Yolanda d'Aragon when visiting Peter Schneider's garden. It was surprisingly healthy, but it was the June flush. Another beauty I saw was Baron Girod de l'Ain. Menard's carried Paul Neyron last year in body bags, so I may snag to see those huge fragrant blooms for myself.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

For colder zones, Paul Neyron, Yolande d'Aragon, La Reine, Marchesa Boccella, Magna Charta and Mrs. John Laing are unbeatable. Voles have only left me with the last three.

Wow, that Grandmother's Hat is something, Garden nut! I think it's rated to z5, but I've been advised it wouldn't be a strong rose.

• jacqueline9CA

Interesting - it sounds to me as if, at least here in warm Northern Calif., the HPs that everyone loves are all "mystery roses" being sold under their study names. That makes sense, as they have been discovered over the years growing wild, with no care whatever. That would tend to weed out roses which are weak, or need spraying to survive, etc. Another reason to plant roses which have survived on their own in your climate - they have been "field tested" for disease resistance and local hardiness by Mother Nature for many decades! Of course, I stress roses which were discovered in a similar climate to the one where you garden. That is critical, and many times is not given as much weight as it should, IMO.

Jackie

• Desertgarden-Las Vegas, Z 9/W. Z 8b TX

Baronne Prevost, Paul Neyron and Grandmother's Hat.

Grandmother's Hat

Not the best image - Baronne Prevost

Paul Neyron

• sara_ann-z6bok

Some lovely pictures here.

I only have three HP’s at this time, but there are several I would love to try. Since I have the most experience with Reine des Violettes that would be my favorite, it’s beautiful, but I wish mine was more vigorous.

I also have Paul Neyron and Marchesa Boccella, which were both new last year, hoping they do their thing this spring

Marchesa Boccella was slow to take off in Las Vegas. It definitely followed the sleep, creep, leap habit. It was year three in my garden before it had a single bloom. Your RdV is gorgeous, Sara-ann. I would have been thrilled to see the deeper coloring in your image, however, the blooms are so pretty!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I would love to hear if anyone grows the French bred hybrid perpetual, American Beauty. Palatine lists it good to z5b, but is it really vigorous in cold zones? A good repeat?

• sara_ann-z6bok

Flowers, I forgot, I have American Beauty, in my Z6b, it’s a one cane wonder. This will be its third season, hope it shows some improvement this year.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Ah, gee, Sara Ann. If it's not performing well for you, I really doubt it would do well for me. I hope it surprises you this year with robust growth. Third year is supposed to be the magic number.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

In my Mediterranean-climate garden, with clay soil and hot dry summers, the Hybrid Perpetuals that seem to do best are the Hybrid Damask types. 'Reine des Violettes', 'Jacques Cartier'/'Marchesa Boccella', 'Enfant de France', are all good, though rosechafer beetles particularly love the latter. The latter two are on their own roots; RdV is grafted and own root. There may be others that will do well here, but I'm still experimenting: so many of my roses have been planted in unmanageably bad conditions that I can't say whether conditions or basic unsuitability have done them in. I have a promising nameless baby, a found rose, that looks like a HT-leaning HP, and 'Gloire Lyonnaise', another rose that could pass as an HT, has been lovely in my garden, though how it's doing at the moment I can't say. There are some very fine roses in this group, but you have to pick and choose.

• lkayetwvz5

Ah yes Reines des Violettes was another I forgot about. Love that rose! But again, BS and JB magnet. There also seems to have been two versions sold of that rose and I forget what the problem/difference was.

• mariannese

I grow only three HP's as they are not really suited to my Swedish climate. Reine des violettes is probably the best, Frau Karl Druschki is the worst but my favorite is Alfred Colomb because to me it sums up what a HP should be, red, scented and not as sickly as they were said to be in their heyday. Photo by a garden visitor.

• Krista_5NY

I love the Hybrid Perpetuals. Three of my favorites are Mrs. John Laing, La Reine and Reine des Violettes.

Reine des Violettes has an arching habit, Mrs. John Laing and La Reine upright and compact in my garden setting. They have sweet Old Rose fragrance.

Mrs. John Laing

La Reine

Reine des Violettes

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

I have 3 HPs. 'La Reine' is too young and I still need to see how it blooms here (if it survived this winter). The other two are 'Marchesa Boccella' and 'Reine des Violettes,' both lovely and reliable in my zone. Mine are own-root. So far both have survived the devastating Polar Vortex that struck us earlier this year as well as the two rounds of high wind gusts of 75 mph that damaged even our roof. These rose gals seemed unfazed.

'Marchesa Boccella' is my sentimental favorite because it was the first rose I planted in this garden and I also chose it for the banner on my GW profile. The color of 'RdeV' is something to behold, no photo can do it justice. I already posted these before but they are their only photos I can find right now.

Marchesa Boccella

Reine des Violettes

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

I started my "stripey" collection when I saw Vick's Caprice. I just adore him! He is on his own root and the older he gets, the more he takes off. He is such a cad, teasing me with is beautiful blooms! No BS or fungal diseases here with him.

Vick's Caprice--isn't he a handsome dude!

Since I have had such good luck with hybrid perpetuals, I just received Marchesa Bochella, Portland from Glendora and Yolande d' Aragon. I can't wait to see them in my garden. Right now they are starting to leaf out as bands, so it may take a bit, but Burling stated they would be ready to plant in the ground this spring. I am waiting for them to take off. I am very excited as hybrid perpetuals tend to do very well in my climate. I am also looking forward to a rose with scent and beautiful flowers!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I can really recommend La Reine.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Love La Reine with moss Henri Martin.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Sheila, that is just gorgeous!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Sheila, your gardens are so lush and dreamy. Do people ever ask to get married in your gardens? Your property looks like the kind of place people would pay good money to have their wedding. :-)

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Sheila, I just got La Reine from Burling last week. It’s a twiggy little thing right now, do you think it’ll do anything this season?

• erasmus_gw

Sara, that's a beautiful RdV. I have really never had a good plant of it. Mine have been wimpy.

I like HPs and have a couple new ones ordered, Mrs. John Laing and Henry Nevard.

Some I grow that I like:

Baronne Prevost

General Jacqueminot

Monsieur le Capitaine Louis Frere

Vick's Caprice

Yolande d'Aragon, probably my favorite

Grandmother's Hat another favorite

Granny Grimmetts often has purple tones

Oh, Anna de Diesbach..it is so fragrant but so prone to bs or the "Damask crud"

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Perma, only one out of my three children is married so far. Maybe someday that could happen. Oursteelers, I got La Reine from ARE, so it started here older than yours but I think it is a fast to take off plant. Here is a baby photo of the previous year.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Sheila that picture makes me so freaking excited! Your LaReine is just beautiful.

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)

My favorite is Grandmother’s Hat even though it does get BS here.

Reine des Violettes makes my heart flutter-

(I hope the pictures get posted)

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)

Everyone’s pictures are just killing me - I wish I had more space!!

I’ll throw in Portland from Glendora. Not the most beautiful of bushes but the blooms and fragrance !

Jo

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Sheila, I can't stop looking at your photo of La Reine in the turquoise pot against the weathered wood. You're an artist with your roses.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Erasmus, Carol at Northland has been telling me for years that I'd like General Jack. After seeing your photo, I could kick myself for not getting it sooner.

• Paul Barden

For me, 'Mrs. John Laing' has it all: health, vigor, decent architecture (something that is sorely missing from most of the Perp. Clan) and generous repeat. Not to mention those exquisitely shaped, silvery-pink blooms. It is certainly a rare confluence of traits that is not often found in the HPs.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Great point, Paul. I am always glad I planted her on an outward corner of a path. If Magna Charta, for instance, was in that spot, I'd be forever cutting off canes to avoid injury. Mrs. John Laing is very nicely shaped and well mannered.

• erasmus_gw

Where did you all get your Reine des Violettes? Are they grafted?

Flowers, I do like General Jack ..it smells wonderful, but is a bit blackspot prone. Does a lot better in a sunny spot.

Joepyeweed, I like all those other flowers in your garden too.

Oh My!! I think my heart skipped a beat today while looking and the last sets of images. Yolande d' Aragon...Eramus...!! All I have to say is that YdA had better grow and be healthy in W. PA! It is now on my list. Anna de Diesbach was horrible in the desert. It had that damask crud more often than not. Good to see it looking lovely.

Mrs. John Laing was the first rose ever to catch my eye, and yet I have never grown it. I think it is going on my list too. I have to give it a try. Thank you, Paul:)

Jo- Pyweed, I would second the opinion regarding Portland of Glendora's growth habit. I was always trying to trim it to create a decent shaped bush. The color of the blooms really stand out in the garden, and the fragrance is lovely.

Your La Reine is so pretty, Sheilah. I too like the pink set off by the turquoise pot.

La Reine is such a vigorous grower, and I hope to always be able to grow it. However, I must admit that there was something about Barbara's Pasture Rose that I preferred. I never figured out why...

Gloire de' Ducher is extremely lovely. I cannot find a single image, but here is Malorena's image on HMF.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.283102

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Lynn, I think Barbara's Pasture Rose is thought to be La Reine. I have Yolande d' Aragon. She doesn't have the grace of these other roses, but we can't be everything I guess she has concluded.

I have read about that (thread titled rose of many names or something like that...), Sheilah, but to my eye, there are differences and similarities (growth habit). The two roses grow in different sections of the LV garden, which could be the reason... but.. idk... think HMF simply concluded that BPR could be a sport of La Reine.

• Amanda Zone10Socal

I got La Reine from Burling this fall too, its putting out a bunch of new leaves! It looks a bit different from the pics here though I can’t seem to find my pictures...

• erasmus_gw

My original Yolande was graceful enough, just an arching plant with good vigor. My second one is sort of an ok shape. My third one looks like a big Y with some laterals. But my friend nearby trained one on an obelisk and it completely covered that obelisk and was covered with blooms. Guess he trained the canes young. His name is Dickie. I have a mystery rose that I have been calling " Dickie's Mystery Rose". I think it might be La Reine. What do you think?

• erasmus_gw

Here is Granny Grimmetts again, showing more of the purple sheen. It sometimes looks like the purple is iridescent on top of the red, or like the petals are bruised with purple.

La Reine...horrible lighting, but the image is pretty indicative of the look of the blooms prior to opening

The other images I found are examples of how it looks when the temperature hits the high 90's low 100's... probably not useful

I was thinking about La Reine compared to BPR. I think it is the color of the blooms that differs... subtly...BPR, to my eye, and conditions, skewed more toward a softer shade of pink when compared to La Reine. La Reine had a deeper ( or darker??) shade of pink, comparatively.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

BPR sounds wonderful. I looked up Mrs. John Laing and she looked fabulous. I hope these are in my future.