Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Cornelia is happy!!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was prepared to wait a year or so, based on what I read, for her to bloom...but she’s working on a sweet little spray right now! I’m just thrilled to get to see and smell her famous blossoms. :-)


Comments (31)

  • 7 years ago

    What a great start, Perma. I hope mine does this soon.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    That has to be so thrilling. There's nothing quite like seeing a rose you haven't had before blooming for the first time. I have great hopes of seeing Evelyn, Coquette des Blanches and Plum Perfect bloom sometime this year for the first time, although I know it's not a given. Please be sure to post the first flowers, Perma. Cornelia is such a lovely rose.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    That's an awesome spray ready to bloom, how exciting. It will look wonderful!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    I will most definitely post pics when she opens. She’s about two years old, but just went into the ground back in October. I’m seeing some buds just starting to form on Felicia too (I think of these two as sisters, for some reason.) It’s amazing how much joy these flowers can bring! :-)

  • 7 years ago
    Perma, I can't wait to see them bloom. They look so healthy. Look at those buds. Beautiful !!
    Perma, I have prune all my roses ( first time ) The only rose I have not is Cornelia . I remembered seeing a video on it and mine did bloom this year. Think has a lot to do with not pruning. I guess I need to do Cornelia not in Feb or March but in Fall perhaps ??
    They had a few flushes last year. I kinda deadheaded them....lol.
    Any advise ?? How big is your Cornelia ?
    Can you post a whole bush picture that is if you don't mind. It gives me an idea of how it looks like. I hope I am not asking too much .
    Thanks you so, so much :)
    Jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    I’ve not pruned her yet, since she’s still so little. She’s only maybe 15-16” tall, but with canes going off in all directions, about 3’ wide. She’s going to be trained up a post and then out over my hammock. I’ll take a few pics of her for you! I think you can prune these HMs to be either freestanding or climbers. So it really depends on what you want her to do. I’ve not trimmed her at all because I want to get some length on her canes for climbing. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Very exciting, I look forward to seeing your pictures of her!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 7 years ago

    Jin, here are some more pics of Cornelia (I tried to get the best angle, but it’s still hard to see her shape against the mulch—sorry about that!)



  • 7 years ago
    Perma, it looks great. It will grow.... quickly. Mine is in a pot and it is like a fountain spread out of a huge pot. I have not prune mine at all but very curious about how everyone maintains this type of rose .
    The canes that I measure were about 5 ft and some 5.5 ft. I did not expect it to grow so fast .
    I can't wait to see your blooms. It will look so pretty. Mine has nothing so far and perhaps it will later in Spring....I am not sure. I will keep you posted too. That way we can share information. I got mine from ARE. I think maybe it is asleep who knows...
    Thanks for posting pics and you sure have space ....envying you..lol
    Thanks Perma ! :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    Kathy, Wow ! Love the colours :)
    Did yours bloom too ?
    So beautiful . Now, I am embarrassed to show mine...hahaha
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Cathy that is sooo pretty! I’m really excited now—mine has the tiniest bit of pink showing now. That’s a beautiful photo of Cornelia. Thank you for posting! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Kathy, your picture really captures its charm. Do you think this Rose would look good cascading over a wall or is it better to try and grow it up something?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Vap, I been thinking about that too. Where I had my Cornelia too see how it response to heat and radiant heat seems not to bother this rose. But I have to move it further up at corner side Bec it blocks my Gardener from mowing the lawn. I am hoping to have like a cascading look over half wall.
    I think it looks great either way but love to hear what Kathy has to say and hoping to see her pics.
    This is how mine looks like. It is huge and I have not prune it yet at all just deadhead individually blooms which is so time consuming. If I remember correctly from a video which I can't find now and gave up. It was cut right below a huge spray of blooms but I am hoping more information on hybrid musk rose.
    I took a pic and it is not that good but it shows it's length.
    Have it just over a year now. so,bit is in 2nd year....

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    That's a great picture, Jin! I love seeing the bush shot. It looks just like mine, but fuller. I'll probably put mine into an even larger pot for a bit until I clear out the section where it's going. The dry-stacked wall is 4.5'-5' so I think it would be lovely cascading. Further down the wall I'm going to put Prosperity..... do you have this one? Just the prettiest you can imagine. Both mine came from ARE.

    Regarding pruning, I think it depends on the actual rose. I've been slack making notes on individual roses, but generally don't prune til the third year and then remove the oldest canes to encourage the newer ones, otherwise the plant declines in blooms. I don't know how I'll remember which canes are which, though! This just for HMs. I also don't know when to start counting.... from the time I get them?That's when I'll start and call that year one.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Jin your Cornelia looks very full! I can’t wait to see it spilling over the wall.

    I have Prosperity too —it’s SO gorgeous with its dark green foliage and bright white blossoms. Still trying to decide where to put her.

    My Felicia has started turning her two oldest canes brown, so I’m thinking that’s how we know they are old. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    I don't have Prosperity but always wanted Felicia but at the time ARE was out of stock so I got Penelope and Cornelia. Perma
    The canes are huge and I can't walk around the pool. But I am happy with my choices.
    Vap, I love the height of your walls. I have to replaced mine at least the planks and have the wall painted. Yours will look beautiful cascading down so romantically.
    Perma, I can't wait to see yours grow. I can only imagine how pretty it will look. It will be different as I have never seen one on trellis. Check out the older threads and you will see about Cornelia's and some growing on fence...looks beautiful.
    I have to write down when my Cornelia blooms and how many times a year. If my Cornelia keep growing bigger and bigger then I might change the location to somewhere else maybe on a trellis too. Not sure but time will tell when I put it in ground permanently.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    I have Felicia and my Penelope died last year so maybe we can exchange cuttings when are a bit bigger! I probably could send you some Felicia cuttings this year cuz she's growing well.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    I have Penelope but I am not good in cuttings at all.
    You know what ?? It's been nearly 2 months. I did 4 cuttings. One died but the other 3 looks the same. No growth as leaves or anything. I stick it in ground in my rose bed and last month I cover them with bottles upside down due to rain and I did not want it to be so wet...I hope they have roots. Time will tell :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    It's OK if no new growth. Hopefully, they are growing roots! I found last year that just leaving them open worked better since we have so much rain. Of course, that was in fast draining medium and in the ground in compost. Mine all rotted when I covered them. When you have some cuttings you should experiment both ways and report back.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    'Cornelia' has had some bad years here, but right now, she's looking very happy. I think most of her problems are due to getting less water than she would like. This morning, I got out and peeled most of the Morning Glory off of her (#$%$##!!) and she's just starting a nice flush.

    But take note, guys, she is NOT a small plant. She's about 7 ft. tall here, and I know would be bigger, if she got more water.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago
    Jeri, that is huge. I love Morning Glory reminds me of my young childhood where I used to pluck them while walking to school....hahaha :)
    Jeri, you are scaring me . That is huge. Seems everything I got is going to be gigantic here Bec we have tons of rainfall. ...haha !!!
    But she is beautiful. How old is she ? I am Not going to complain at all if all my teas, hybrid musk, OGRs, China's, ........... grow super big. I will be so happy and excited Bec of my black thumb in many years.
    Is there a method to prune hybrid musk for more vigor, growth and flowering ?
    Thanks Jeri !!!
    I hope they will grow big here in Florida. We have sun and plenty of rain all year round :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    How old? Maybe 15-18 years? But it's only productive of bloom here in good rain years (which have been rare, of late). For that reason, I would not plant Hybrid Musks here now. They don't like drought.

    It's also located up by the street, so it gets blasted in 100-deg. temp. days. It doesn't like that. (And neither do I!)

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    She’s beautiful, Jeri! Is she freestanding? And are those her hips on the right side of the photo? I can’t wait to see mine so big and healthy! :-)

  • 7 years ago


    Getting closer! These are the sweetest little buds!

  • 7 years ago

    Left to itself, I think it would sprawl. We pulled it up against a trellis, but I don't think it loves that.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago



    Open! Wish you could smell this! She’s heavenly. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Her scent is heavenly. 'Cornelia' is one of the few hybrid musks that do well here. As Jeri notes, they don't like heat or drought, which, unfortunately, is what we have a lot of the time. Here she grows up against a fence in a relatively cool spot and blooms most of the spring-summer-fall. She would be a sprawler if left to her own devices.



    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • 7 years ago

    Sooo gorgeous! Thank you for posting such a great photo! :-)

  • 7 years ago
    Perma, that is so cool to come home after work and saw your post. So, it finally open...
    She is a beauty and her scent is wonderful. Now, you know how the scent is like. There are times when it is not in bloom, you can smell it's foliage too. I hope it is not me going nuts but I get the scent sometimes.
    Cats, yours is beautiful. Is it freestanding or on a trellis. I can't tell ?
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Jin, it is on a trellis and would be laying across the path without that.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked catspa_zone9sunset14