0

Master Bath remodel

Becky Baute
Wanted to save on bath remodel and keep floor tile. Can’t figure out what would go with it. Would like wood or coordinating tile to the ceiling. Need ideas for the cabinets. Have really cool brushed gold round mirrors as inspiration.

• pennydesign

Do you mean paint for the cabinets or new cabinets? The white is really the sore thumb for me...

Are you keeping the floor tile that's on the floor or the brown tile that's in the shower too?

• Anne Duke
    Brass has been revived, but I’d replace knobs with handles, and might remove them entirely from the tub. The window is incongruent so I’d replace or cover with a shade. Stick with white accessories and large mats and towels.
    Skippack Tile & Stone

It the floor the only thing staying? Tub and shower getting replaced?

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

I'm not a fan of gutting a room and keeping just one item, especially the tile floor. Once you start demolishing and removing the fixtures, the tile could crack and become damaged. It's also going to look old and tired next to new fixtures. There could also be problems hidden underneath the floors that could come back to bite you after you finish the room.

If you're going to totally remodel the room, then gut it to the studs. This way you can assess the condition of the plumbing, electric, and structure and address problems before you install new materials.

Also, have a plan in place BEFORE you do any demo. There are so many homeowners here on the Design Dilemma page who demolish kitchens and baths and then ask "how should I lay out this room?" That's a recipe for disaster. Plan, plan, plan. Draw it out on paper first. Decide what you want. Make your selections and purchase your materials before you take a hammer to anything. That will make the project go quicker and with less angst.

Good luck!

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

You'll spend more money and time working around the problem element, aka the flooring, than you would if you just removed it. If you're taking the tile out of the shower it needs to go from the floor too. No point in doing a 90% remodel.

Start finding some inspiration photos and then building a complete plan before demoing.

• Becky Baute
    Thank you everyone. I plan to remove the knobs, paint or replace cabinets and get a seamless shower door. I will remove the cabinet faces from the tub.
    Sounds like the recommendation is to get rid of the tile. It is kinda pretty, just don’t know how to coordinate everything in the room with it.
  • pennydesign

If you're going to keep all the brown, I would go very contemporary/masculine with the whole room...you can't disguise it, so you may as well embrace it...Maybe use something like this instead of the wood you wanted? It is paintable so it doesn't have to be brown although that might be a fabulous look :)

Sorry, I couldn't get a photo to load, so here's the link...

https://www.allmodern.com/threeDwall--Dunes-Brick-Paintable-31.4-x-24.6-Abstract-3D-Embossed-Wall-Panel-EKB02116-L6161-K~TDWL1009.html?refid=GX87922703716-TDWL1009&device=c&ptid=255932851093&targetid=pla-255932851093&network=s&ireid=13829046&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-bjnorWF4QIVCg9pCh3msAUBEAQYBiABEgK_4vD_BwE

• Becky Baute
    Thank you. I love that!