Software
Houzz Logo Print
gardenernut

Teas in climbing settings

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Can teas be espaliered against a wall or fence? I’ve done it with relaxed growing perpetuals but I’ve never heard of teas being trained against a wall.

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    There are climbing Teas. Some are sports of bush types while others are seedling grown and genetically just climbers. Perhaps some of the more lax growing types might be able to be spread out against a wall or fence, but you probably would have better results using a climbing Tea.

  • 7 years ago

    Devoniensis Cl kinda sprawls. Mine blooms a lot. I could see it espaliered on a wall.

  • 7 years ago

    Climbing Lady hillingdon is a great tea rose that is surprisingly cold hardy. Mine is on the orth end of our house and it got down to 16 degrees this year and CLH never defoliated.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I can never find Lady Hillingdon Cl. I only see the bush version offered. Is this one that can be grown either way, like some of the larger Austins?

    Good to know about the cold tolerance.

  • 7 years ago

    There is a definite difference between the bush form and the

    Climber. The bush is not vigorous at all. Now CLH doesn't care for ice or freezing rain, but normal cold it tolerates well for me.


    Roses unlimited is the only dependable place I have found for CLH.

  • 7 years ago

    Some of the larger Teas normally grown as shrubs will climb if offered support, but I don't know about espaliering. I currently have 'Archduke Joseph' growing through a persimmon and up to our wisteria pergola (the project, if you can call it that, kind of got out of hand), and am training 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' up to, and I hope on to the top of, a pergola. But these roses do like to spread far and wide, and I'm skeptical about getting them to grow in two dimensions as espaliered plants.

  • 7 years ago

    There was a post a while back about how teas will climb if given support in a warm climate. (Maybe Jackie?) I made note of this because of how many teas I wanted to put on my back fence. I think as long as they don’t have really rigid, upright canes you should be able to train them. But a lot of them don’t like to be cut too much, so might have to keep that in mind too. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Here is a picture of one of the old old teas we found in our garden (or, rather it is a rooted cutting of that rose). Its parent was huge. We think it is 'Anna Olivier' (ID'd by all 5 of the Tea Rose ladies from Australia who wrote the book on teas). It was known as "Schmidt's Buff Giant" for a while.

    I planted the cutting alongside of our driveway - there is only about 10 inches of space between the wall of the house and the driveway. It is not formally espaliered, but basically the same thing was done to it, at least until it got tall enough that the vehicles did not hit it - then I let it spread out. The top of it can be admired because it is climbing right beside our wrap around front porch.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, I forgot - years ago I did see 'Fourtune's Double Yellow', which really WAS formally espaliered all along a stone wall at Fioli, an old estate on the Peninsula South of San Francisco, which is now a house museum, and fabulous garden open to the public. The rose was huge, at least 30 feet long by 10 feet high, and I was lucky enough to be there right when it was at the peak of bloom. You could not see the wall a all, just blooms, but they were all within about 10 inches of the wall. That sight was part of what got me lusting after FDY, and I finally found one growing through trees at a local park, and now a cutting of that is growing through trees in my garden.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, that's luscious!