Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_880545780

White cabinets with white backsplash too much?

7 years ago

We’re currently remodeling our kitchen. So far we’ve chosen shaker style Lily White for the perimeter, black cabinets for the island and Cambria Summerhill Quartz counter. I know some of you don’t like the dramatic veining in summerhill, but I love it! All SS appliances and a black granite composite sink.





I know I need to keep the backsplash simple. The only tile I’ve seen that makes my heart sing is this nabi hexagon tile from tile bar. Unfortunately it only comes in limited colors so we would have to do white. (I ordered a sample of the tundra and it is more of a sage color). Ideally I would have gone with a light gray. I really don’t want to spend more than $35/sqft so that rules out a lot of custom tiles. So would that be too much white? I never aimed to have an all white kitchen. Is it too 2012 to do so much white?

Comments (21)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you kimberleemajdoch for all the great advice!! And we do have hard wood floors that we’re not changing. It’s kind of a medium wood, not dark, not light.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I love it! The countertop is amazing. That with that tile will definitely keep the kitchen from being too white!

    If it makes your heart happy , I say go for it....


  • 7 years ago

    What is the floor?

  • 7 years ago

    Do not order any tile until your cabinets and counters are installed.

    From your photo your cabinets look warm toned and your tile looks cool toned. When doing a white cabinets and white backsplash, it looks best when they are the same tones.

    Once your kitchen is mostly finished, I would order a few more pieces of the backsplash and place them on the wall between cabinets and counter, to make sure that the undertones work well.

  • 7 years ago

    DrB477 it’s the hardwood that came with house

    Thanks for the advice chispa! The lighting in my photo isn’t the best. The cabinets are a pretty plain white but it looks off white or cream in the photos. I will probably take you up on your advice because I am am very visually bad at putting together images in my head. It makes this whole process very difficult for me!

  • 7 years ago

    Fireclay tile comes in many colors and can be purchased for well under $35 sf. Would encourage you to check them out. Personally think the picket shape of the Tilebar choice does nothing for your countertop.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I love that tile, think the white will give you freedom to change paint and other components of your kitchen as time goes on. Agree though, that you should wait on ordering until cabinets are installed....there have been many white cabinets that end up being warmer than what was chosen (or what people "thought" they were getting).

    One more thing to investigate, and this is just something i was warned about regarding the "crackle" finish of a backsplash tile I was considering: that is that the "crackle" - when splattered with grease, tomato sauce, etc - may stain easily. I haven't fully researched it as my project is on hold...but thought it was worth mentioning since that would be a huge bummer to have the crackle surface of that gorgeous tile stained by tomato sauce.

    Gigi S thanked ccwatters
  • 7 years ago

    I think that may look too busy with your countertops. A very light sage or off white tile could be nice with your other choices. I agree that you should wait until the countertops and cabinets are in to decide.

  • 7 years ago

    My own personal preference when doing white cabinetry is I don't want the backsplash to be so dramatic that it jumps to the foreground and is the focal point. It looks too disembodied to me. So I like the idea of a quiet, subtle backsplash. I agree with Chispa that in the photo ( and it may just be the photo or the lighting) that the whites are too different. It's a great suggestion to wait until it ls all in then look at it under your lighting, ( day and night) to make that judgement.

    Gigi S thanked waverly6
  • 7 years ago

    I think your choices are fabulous! Full speed ahead!

  • 7 years ago

    Another fan of white cabinets and white backsplash. I made the same choice and am so happy, years later. Making the counter the focal point is a great decision.

  • 7 years ago

    HI -- This will be a classy and timeless kitchen ..... beautiful !

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    We love it.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Not too much white, but undertones may not be complimentary. As recommended suggest wait until cabs installed before making choice. I have white cabs & backsplash, and changed backsplash choice - after cabs installed. So glad I waited.

  • 7 years ago
    The wife and I love it. We went white on the backsplash. Not off white or anything, just white.
  • 7 years ago

    ccwaters, true that crackle tile may stain, but that is why most manufacturers will recommend that crackle tile should be sealed.

    Do the research on what you are buying and how to properly care for it!

    I used a Pratt & Larson crackle and their specs stated the following:

    "All Crackle glazes in the RC and W line should be sealed to prevent water penetration and tile discoloration. Seal all crackle glazes with penetrating silicone sealer before and after grouting. Watercolor and RC glazes will continue to crackle over time. For long term maintenance we recommend resealing the crackled tiles every 3-6 months for the first year and every 6 months afterwards to further protect the glaze surface."

  • 7 years ago

    I have Grazia Rixi crackle tiles and did not seal them. We are going on ten years.

    Gigi S thanked eld6161
  • 7 years ago

    This is the second place I have Jeffrey Court crackle tile and never sealed them and they are fine.

    Gigi S thanked cpartist
  • 6 years ago

    I had Sonoma Tile crackle and it stained the first week, That's when I found out my tiler didn't seal it as requested.

  • 6 years ago

    Gigi S I am looking at that same Nabi tile - did you end up using it? Can you please post a photo? TIA

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths