0
arosebyanyother

Most anticipated blooms

Arosebyanyother

Here’s a spin off of the “what will bloom first” thread :) What new rose bloom are you anticipating the most? I ordered 10 new roses for this season and I actaully have two that tie for first place lol. Munstead wood and PAofK. MW is full of buds and has been for a week. I’ve been hovering a lot. My obsession with those two in particular is thanks to this group. I cannot wait to see the blooms in person.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I have so many babies, that I’m excited for any blooms. After the legend that she is, I’d love to see a bloom on my new Gloire de Dijon, but I’m not going to rush her.

I’m most excited to see them all in the ground, after a few more weekends of planting. :-)

Arosebyanyother thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Jeri, I love your Grandmother’s Hat, it’s gorgeous!

I’m anticipating that I will see more blooms on the roses I transplanted last year, they’re looking pretty good. And looking forward to all the beautiful spring blooms of all my roses!

Arosebyanyother thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I would love for my Souvenir de Mme. Leonie Viennot to bloom. I dont see any buds and its just huge beanstalk that does nothing :/

Arosebyanyother thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • pippacovalent

Oh my goodness, all my roses are new I'm just so excited for this spring. It's hard to just pick one as most anticipated. I'm really excited to see SDLM bloom since it's such an iconic rose and I've never seen it or sniffed it in person. Quietness is another that I haven't seen in person yet so I'm eager for it to bloom. But also Paul Ricault wows me in the photos I've seen so I'm eager to see it too. This is the first time I will see almost all of my roses bloom I just can't decided lol.

Arosebyanyother thanked pippacovalent
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

How old is your SdMLV, Sultry? I have one that blooms lightly but I

too wish it would really get going.

Arosebyanyother thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

I'm looking forward to them all. The Teas are getting ready to bloom; there are a few flowers already. It's very dry, though, and I'm afraid that's going to compromise the flowering.

Arosebyanyother thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • bella rosa

I'm looking forward to seeing anything in bloom right now - even a dandelion! :-)

Arosebyanyother thanked bella rosa
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

pippa, here is SdlM for you, until yours comes into bloom, picked yesterday.

For myself, Evelyn and Plum Perfect are the roses I most desire to see, but I'm not certain they'll bloom this year, and almost certainly not in the spring. Of the older roses, Wild Edric is the rose I most long to see again.

Arosebyanyother thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Sheila, Your bloom is beautiful!! My SdLM is a little over 3 yrs. Its up on a trellis and gets sun most of the day. It is quite big with the canes going horizontal across the top. It is very green and healthy. I hope it blooms soon.

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***

I have an area where I have 2 heritage bushes, they do beautiful there so I went ahead and make that space bigger and added 3 more roses.. 2 pretty in pink Eden and 1 Abraham Darby - Ia m SO excited for this spot when its blooming, the new 3 additions were planted last fall and they were small, but I remember planting heritage very small in the spring time and they were blooming that summer and got huge :)

Arosebyanyother thanked Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
  • Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)

I have a handful of roses gifted to my by my honey, and I am so looking forward to seeing what they look like. Some are: Brown Velvet, Women's Celebration, Incense Indio, Licorice Tea and Disneyland. Then I have some of my orders that I'm dying to see: Jude the Obscure, Ancient Mariner, Olivia Rose, Dark Night - but of all of them, I think I am most excited to see Crazy Love - I madly fell in love with the pictures of that rose. Then like many others, it will be my first season for Earth Angel, and .... well - this is going to be a very exciting year!!!

Arosebyanyother thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • erasmus_gw

I'm excited about all of them. Am really looking forward to seeing Pink Clouds bloom, as it has gone up into a pear tree and looks very airy and graceful.

Last year I especially enjoyed Rouge Royale and English Perfume. EP was as pretty as the pictures and bloomed a lot. The plant looks good and came through the winter with no damage.

After wanting it for years I'm finally getting Alain Blanchard. Don't know if I'll see any blooms this year. Can't wait to see what Pomponella does, and Augusta Louise.

Arosebyanyother thanked erasmus_gw
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

roxana, I'm going to have a bed with Abe Darby and Heritage as well.

They have not been delivered yet, so I don't know when I'll actually see any blooms, but I'm excited for them.

Arosebyanyother thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Sylvia Wendel

The Flamingo Dancer climber I ordered from Burling has to be my most-anticipated bloom, perhaps because it’s not well-known and there aren’t millions of photos of it out there.

The minifloras I bought last fall haven’t bloomed yet (except for Butter Cream), and so I am longing to see them: Crystal Palace, Unbridled, and Hello Sunshine.

i have three new Moonstones from which I also eagerly anticipate blooms.

Soon! Soon!

Sylvia

Arosebyanyother thanked Sylvia Wendel
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Sylvia, I cant wait to see your Hello Sunshine. I always have it onony wish list.

Arosebyanyother thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***

jc_7a_MiddleTN I planted my heritage on the Spring 3 years ago, and I got some blooms that year... so exciting!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I was just outside to look at my roses, and am now so excited about everything blooming. Most of the roses now have barriers around them and they look very happy after our rains. I'm looking forward to roses that I've had in the past and lost, such as Spice and Mme. Joseph Schwartz, being a part of my garden again.

• dianela7bnorthal

This thread is making me so excited for the blooms to come =). Please everyone post here when you start getting all those awesome roses blooming.

@Erasmus I would love to see your Pink clouds climbing your tree. Roses climbing trees is one of my favorite things and I have yet to manage it. I love seeing pictures from those who have been successful at this.

Arosebyanyother thanked dianela7bnorthal
  • jerijen

***** "Jeri, do those irises ever bloom when Grandmother's Hat is in bloom?"

Yes. But they do start a bit later. This year, the irises may do better than they do on average, because we have had so much rain here.

Arosebyanyother thanked jerijen
  • garden nut

I’m looking forward to seeing oneto home saffron, Bathsheba and Evelyn. grandmothers hat is starting to mature and has around 30+ buds so far so it should have a great spring flush.

Arosebyanyother thanked garden nut
  • bellegallica9a

I'm waiting on first ever blooms from:

Arthur de Sansal

Yolande d'Aragon

Sydonie

And lots more from:

Roseville Noisette

Single Cerise China

which are new and have given only a single flower each so far.

Arosebyanyother thanked bellegallica9a
  • pippacovalent

Ingrid thank you!!!!

Arosebyanyother thanked pippacovalent
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

My pleasure, Pippa. I'm beyond excited to see everyone's wonderful spring blooms. The pictures will be awesome. Also am longing to see Jeri's beautiful display of irises.

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***

There were supposed to be heave rains right before I picked these heritage ones, I am not one to cut the roses to bring them inside, I enjoy them more out there... but I knew they would be gone after the heavy rains.. so I grabbed these and then I kept them in my bedroom for about a week and the fragrance was just amazing!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Botr4XAlOJX/

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I totally forgot about Bathsheba! I got that one too this year. I'm also curious to see Life of the Party (Huntington's 100th Rose), Eglantyne & Bliss.

• Alana8aSC

I'm not gonna fake it. I look forward to them all, the new, the old, and even the oddballs. I just love all of nature, so look to all blooms, including wildflowers and shrubs. I added some hydrangeas and various other perennials last year, so looking forward to everything maturing. I hope everyone has a great and happy Spring!

Arosebyanyother thanked Alana8aSC
  • FruitCat

OMG, everything! I bought a bunch of roses last year to see who does well and I can't wait to start comparing scents. Mme Plantier tripled in size and I hope she will stare me down with a million green eyes. Ok, will settle for a hundred!

Arosebyanyother thanked FruitCat
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Roxana, what a lovely bouquet, just perfect before it's even been put in a vase. Having flowers on the dining room table is such a joy for me, although they're always cut with short stems so that I don't take too much off the bushes.

FruitCat, that one sentence is poetry.

Bishop's Castle and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux

• slumgullion in southern OR

I'm especially anxious to see what Blessed Child does this year. This is such a remarkable rose! I planted her in a prime spot, sunny, visible from most of the windows on the back side of the house, and close enough that her amazing perfume should blanket the back side of the house. She's very young, just planted last year after growing up in a pot from a band, but already 2-3" high and covering herself with healthy, shiny leaves. She did bloom for me last summer/fall and was, as expected, exquisite. I can't wait for this year to start!

I'm also really looking forward to the early singles - Father Hugo, Harison's, Alba Semi-Plena....

Sigh. The last few weeks until rose season are the hardest to wait!

Arosebyanyother thanked slumgullion in southern OR
  • vaporvac

Uggh! Please hurry everyone's roses! : ) I still have a lot to do and it's too early to prune, but I feel spring in the air. I'm most looking forward to those that I've never seen or were small last year, such as Florentina, Viking Queen, Phyllis Bide and Ghislaine de Feligonde. I'm mainly looking for those I planted last year to get bigger.

Arosebyanyother thanked vaporvac
  • Dave6aMO

Those are beautiful blooms, Ingrid! I have been on a deep pink and crimson kick and two that will be arriving this year that I am most excited to see bloom are Deuil du Dr Reynaud and Capitaine Dyel de Graville.

Arosebyanyother thanked Dave6aMO
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Oh and I forgot another one I’m anxious to see...Sui Mei Ren. I haven’t seen many pics of this one!

Arosebyanyother thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

I remember a thread on Sui Mei Ren when I first registered here.

If I recall, Lisa had a new one. Not sure which other poster also had it.

Arosebyanyother thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

jc I think it was jeri and Lisa and one of them had photos that enticed me...

• Arosebyanyother

So I attempted to comment on this post 100 times over the past week and houzz hasn’t let me do anything. My comments and pictures just disapear everytime. It seems to be working today so I’m going to try to catch up. :)

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Not new, but as always, my most anticipated rose bloom is Abraham Darby. Here is one of my plants from last year.

Arosebyanyother thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

Noseometer, how old is that one? I have 2 coming in 4 weeks.

Anticipation is killing me.

Arosebyanyother thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

noseometer, that's so lovely, and more in the pink range than I've ever seen AD in my garden. That rose is gone but I have a new one that I hope will bloom this year. I still think it's one of Austin's best in terms of sheer beauty, although admittedly I haven't grown many of his newer releases. I'm also eagerly waiting for my two baby bushes of Evelyn to bloom.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

If Ingrid says it’s one of the best Austins, I should have gotten more!

Arosebyanyother thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    @JC - Abe is a very popular rose & has some of the largest blooms out of the Austin's. But it's disease resistance is varying. I know in some places it suffers from rust & mildew, others have blackspot. So I would hesitate to buy more until you see how it does for you in your garden. Just putting that out there for you. I have one going into it's second year & can't wait to see how it does.
    Arosebyanyother thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

I am pretty sure mine will defoliate and look like sticks with a flower on top.

But I had to take the chance based on all the reviews. I’m planning to hide the nakedness with bushier plants in front.

Arosebyanyother thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

JC: I think I took the cutting of this plant in 2015 before I knew it was Abe. He isn't always this pink. Sometimes he is quite orange. I've since bought a couple more from DA and they look the same. I can understand your anticipation. I have the same, even after all these years of having him.

Abe as a baby mystery cutting.

Ingrid: I agree. Abraham Darby has something that the newer roses don't have. I'm not exactly sure what that is though. Perhaps it's how the outer petals fade, and that lovely range of sunset shades that can occur in a single flower, that are rich but soft, not strident.

In my climate, Abe has no diseases. No blackspot, no mildew, no rust, not here (although I hear that in other climates he is a misery). BUT, he doesn't grow huge like some of the photos I've seen of him. He's so small and compact. I keep hoping that one year he will just take off and turn into a monster of a rose.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

nose, Abe in your photos is to die for, and even that baby bloom is as cute as a button. The different shades of this rose melt into each other in the most fascinating way.

• Christian

Out of the new roses i’ve Planted I’m most excited for Auguste Luise. I’m also interested in comparing Nahema to Heritag. I’ve had heritage for 3 years and love the smell and color but the blooms don’t last long it will be nice if Nahema does better.

Of of the old roses, I’m excited for a lot of my ogrs. Specifically Chapeau de Napoleon and Zephirine Drouhin. Cdn is probably my favorite rose I love the crested sepals and the cupped flower form that is the clearest of pinks and the sweet fragrance it exudes. I just absolutely adore that rose. Zd is on a garden arch that leads into a small “hidden” garden and really took of last year so hopefully it has an amazing spring flush.

I love this time of year so much. I do daily walk abouts in the yard to see who is breaking dormancy and to see what is blooming or close to blooming. To watch the yard and a garden burst into life is such an amazing sight to behold.

Arosebyanyother thanked Christian
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

I agree with you, Christian! I always think about what a miracle it is for those brown sticks to produce such beauty. Even the lawn that looks like hay turns green so quickly. It's all a miracle to me. I'm very eager to see Augusta Luise and Nahema, too. Both new this year.

Coincidentally, while I was typing this, my son sent this photo of the hills in Malibu that burned in the inferno last December. I think it illustrates what you said. It's not roses, but it is beautiful, new growth after what was truly devastating. It epitomizes spring.

Arosebyanyother thanked flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Christian, I'd be excited about Nahema also. I had one once and accidentally killed it and I've been regretting it since. Where did you get yours? Maybe I should get another. Please tell us how yours does and share photos.

• Christian

Flowers, what a beautiful photo. The resilience of mother nature truly an amazing thing.

Noseometer, I got my nahema from Palatine along side AL and Zaide. I’ll be sure to keep you guys up to date on their progress.

Arosebyanyother thanked Christian
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Excellenz von Schubert. Burling said that this was her favorite thornless/ nearly thornless rose. I planted this baby from her last fall.
    Arosebyanyother thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • vaporvac

Stephanie, what a beautiful specimen! I always forget about this rose. Mine came from ARE and there's some discussion as to whether it's actually Gardendirektor Otto Linne. I hope you contue posting pictures and perhaps we can solve this mystery.

Arosebyanyother thanked vaporvac
  • pippacovalent

This rose, Charles Darwin, is becoming my most anticipated because it's so leafy compared to the rest. It's my only container rose for now so I guess it warmed up sooner or something. You can see my sweet alyssum sprouting in the pot too.