Software
Houzz Logo Print
tjrosson

Design for Bookcase

13 years ago
I've got a long wall in my living room and am having bookcases built there. The wall is quite long, perhaps 16 feet. The shelves will not be adjustable. Here's my dilemma. I don't want the bookcases to be full of books, a de facto library. I also want to put art work there and other things. My question is this: how should I design the bookcases so they can accommodate pictures, even sculptures, that are larger than books? I've seen some bookcase pics on houzz that have large areas for pics etc. but these usually have adjustable shelves (and do not look as good). I can't come up with a design I'm comfortable with, and I don't want to be stuck with my design, if it doesn't work, since the shelves are not adjustable. Any thoughts would be appreciated. One option: leave one large rectangular area, at eye level, in the middle of the book cases, say something that is 6 feet long by 20 high. Another option: leave a couple of random squares in the bookcase that are least 20 x 20 inches. Thanks!