Software
Houzz Logo Print
lwfromny

Heated Bathroom Floor

7 years ago
I am in the early stages of planning a master bath remodel and am exploring materials. What are my options for flooring materials if I want heated floors? Also any advice/wisdom/lessons learned in heated floors would be very welcome. Thanks!

Comments (10)

  • 7 years ago
    Thank you Flo. I’m hoping to use cement tile, and was worried it wouldn’t conduct heat well, but now some of the information I’m finding seems to indicate it may actually be a good conductor. It’s not a large room, so I plan to use an electric system. It does make sense to wait I guess. I was just hoping to get a head start on starting to narrow down tile choices, and figured there was no point at looking at materials I wouldn’t be able to use. I appreciate your input!
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I have not used cement tiles with heating systems, although, I don't see why that wouldn't work, except the thickness might be an issue? Not sure. Maybe Beth H can weigh in here and give us her tile expertise.

  • 7 years ago
    Ah Beth H - it would be nice if she would come along too :).
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The key is when you turn it on.............from another thread/and a tile company

    "Many people have used cement tiles with radiant heat systems. Just be
    sure everything is bone dry before you turn on the heat. We have no
    control over tile and radiant heat system installations, so no warranty
    is offered. If the heat is turned on when residual moisture is present
    we have seen floors experience spalling (shards of tile flaking off).
    Please be sure that everyone on your jobsite is aware of the risks, and
    do not allow an impatient subcontractor to run a quick test, so they can
    move on.:"

    SO!!!!

    This means, no matter what you use, allow a significant curing time for the entire installation. Even marble will crack, if that is TOO SOON. I'd say give it a month .

    Personally, I love hardwood in a master bath. It's never freezing cold, and there's no grout to clean: )

    With two adults, it's rare to get water issues, usually no more than would splash on a kitchen floor while doing dishes. Put a nice step out mat at the shower. It's especially nice if your master bed has a hardwood floor, and no transition to an ensuite bath.

  • 7 years ago
    Wow Jan I’ve seriously debated hardwoods, but ruled it out bc I figured it was crazy. I do indeed have wood floors in the master. In fact the whole house, except the two full baths, is really nice hardwood. That includes a powder room and kitchen, where I’ve had zero water issues. My only worry is I need to sell in 8 years. I don’t normally let the imaginary next owner dictate my choices, but I was worried this was a choice that people would think means they have to
    replace the floor. I know a lot of people think wood is an absolute no in the kitchen, so I’m sure some are also scared of it in the bath. But I guess if they were told it was eight years old and could see it still looked good maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal. Thank you for your input - about the wood AND the startup of the system. It was a big help.
  • 7 years ago

    i have heated floors in my bathrooms and LOVE them - just remember it takes a while to heat up so i have them warming all day/night. Power use is low so its not a budget breaker. My favorite thing about the heated floors is in the winter when we ran the fireplace the thermostat was in the fireplace room so it would make the rest of the house cold - having heated floors in the bathroom provided a much better experience in the winter!!!

  • 3 years ago

    This is an old thread but curious what brand you all recommend for heated floors under tile?

  • 3 years ago

    We just finished ours and used Ditra. No complaints.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks!