Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redbaroness

I need help choosing a wall colour

Red Baroness
4 years ago
Hi everyone. I’m doing some painting and wanted to get some suggestions on a wall colour to tie everything together. The items shown are the chair (bluish greyish fabric), curtains (the item with the sparkles) and the beige-ish floor with grey undertones.

I’d be really appreciative of any helpful suggestions.

Comments (23)

• Red Baroness
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Flo. I’m going for something muted and relaxing and yes, there are brushed nickel accents in the room. I like blues, greys, yellows and greens for rooms.
  • threers
    4 years ago

If you like blues, yellow and greens, use them a accent colors and use one for your wall color.

You have enough gray; but you already know that.

• Red Baroness
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Threers. I know! That’s why I’m here. I want something that will bring everything together but won’t drag it down with more grey.
  • PRO
    The Wright Kitchen
    4 years ago

Benjamin Moore Gray Owl is a very nice subtle Gray that can pull other tones around it.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago
    What colour do you prefer to wear? It may work well on your walls.
  • felizlady
    4 years ago
    It may not be helpful, but in the photos, the drapes look totally different in each pic. Would you consider changing them for something in a more stable color? I don’t think they work at all with the floor.
    For the walls, I would consider a pale silvery-gray or a white which matches either color in the flooring.
  • J Williams
    4 years ago

In the photos your curtains reads mauve and the floor brown/gold, your sofa blue/grey, that’s quite an odd grouping colour wise. I could maybe see a mauve/grey on the walls, then the curtains would recede or get new curtains altogether as they are the easiest to replace.

• Red Baroness
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! The curtains weren’t the colour I was expecting and I can’t return them. :(

I was planning to repaint the walls anyway so I was hoping to salvage the drapes instead of getting new ones.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Since you have about 4-5 colors that aren't very harmonious, you might need a "complimentary" color to pull everything together along with a couple pillows with that color for more interest yet staying calm. I would go buy a few pillows with some soft blues and/or greens and bring them home and see what works with what you have. Then you can get a paint color match.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Make sure you can return the pillows once you have made decisions.

• Red Baroness
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks so much, Flo!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    You’re welcome. Post photos when you have found some options.
  • Red Baroness
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I’m actually thinking the same grey that the other commentor mentioned or a pale salmon or pale yellow since you suggested the complimentary colours. I’ll definitely let you guys know how it turns out.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    A complimentary color is across the color wheel from your neutrals. That would be blues/greens not yellows or salmon. I will post example.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    The line goes from neutrals in yellow hue family to blue/green hue family. Colors either side are not considered complimentary. Some can work but they will be more difficult to get just right.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Here is color strategist wheel
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I'm sorry, but I cannot think of a color that can make these three work together. The chair and the flooring can work, or the chair and the curtains work, but the three together just don't work.

I used a program and uploaded your photo and pulled colors from the three pieces.

https://html-color-codes.info/colors-from-image/

I then used another program to saturate the colors (sometimes it makes it easier to see the colors at the base of neutrals when they are more saturated.

http://paletton.com/#uid=2000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

Then I dropped all 6 colors into an excel spreadsheet so you could see what you are working with.

The tools available to me on this computer are a bit rudimentary and the color renditions are not perfect, but I think it adequately demonstrates that the pink undertones in the curtains just do not work with the flooring and the chair.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Personally, I find this combination kind of queasy, I think the mauvey pinky/gold kind of works and the gold brownish/grey greenish blue kind of works but together it’s a bit of a soupy mess. I wouldn’t add new colours to this mix, I’d emphasize one of them to get a sort of 2 to one sort of ratio. I’d pick the floor colour or the couch colour or the drape colour, but the drapes are not anything I’d want to match to if one is feeling at all iffy about them.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago
    I would paint the walls black , then it all works !
  • Red Baroness
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks so much, Jennifer. I’m really thinking to put the drapes in another room or sell them online so I can just move on. I was hoping for the best but they’re killing everything else!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

A pretty teal color could work well. You can combine the right tones in neutrals with a unifying complimentary color.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Red, I think you are making the right choice. I do love the curtains, just not mixed with the flooring and chair. Beyond color and based on just the snippets of fabric above, the chair and floor make me feel like a hot cup of tea and the curtains make me feel like champaign. They feel sexier than the other two finishes.