Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_486723362

Need help repurposing granite

7 years ago

Help - need to find someone who can help repurpose granite. We are changing the layout of our kitchen and want to use two pieces of our old countertops in our upstairs bathrooms. They are solid pieces that will need sink recesses and cutting/shaping To fit. Anyone ever find someone who can cut your own existing pieces?

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Jan! Good to know! I didn’t think about seeing if the new storm fabricator can cut the existing stone. I’m only interested in redoing the bathroom vanities at this time if it’s a significant savings to do it at the same time with existing granite. It’s only a couple years old, so I hate to waste it, but perhaps it won’t make financial sense like you’re suggesting.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I've recycled stone for customers. It's difficult to be cost effective, but it can be done.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Joe!!!! We've missed you: ) Good to know you're lurking.........

  • 7 years ago

    What do people do if it’s too expensive to have a fabricator recut the granite ...throw it in the landfill?

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Labor costs to refabricate only make sense as part of a larger job, when the fabricator is fabricating something new for the house. It’s not cost effective for small jobs.

    I always get customers to donate to Habitat for Humanity. But often, yes, old stone does end up in the landfill.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I hope the person who makes our new counters can help us reuse our granite! Would hate to see it get wasted. But thanks for the reminder to donate to Habitat for humanity. I will have lots of other things to give them.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Try negotating with countertop fabricator to cut your stone at a discount as part of your combine purchase of new countertop. Does not hurt to ask ;)

  • 7 years ago

    What do people do if it’s too expensive to have a fabricator recut the granite ...throw it in the landfill?

    Try to sell on Craigslist, or donate to Habitat for Humanity.

  • 7 years ago

    I went in the remant section of a local stone yard and got a 6 foot long piece of travertine installed for only a few hundred dollars. Bathrooms are usually easier to find in remnant yards becasue vanities are shallower than kitchen cabinets.


    Good luck.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What do people do if it’s too expensive to have a fabricator recut the granite ...throw it in the landfill?


    When we remodeled a previous kitchen, we had to remove granite that had been installed onto falling-apart cabinets. Some of it cracked in the removal process, but there was a nice large piece and backsplash that was salvaged. I put a notice w/ a picture in a neighborhood news group that it was free, just needed to be picked up. It was gone in less than an hour!

  • 7 years ago

    We repurposed granite in our former home. I bought new for the kitchen and one bathroom, and then used the repurposed granite in the other two bathrooms. I still have a few pieces left, and I think about using them here in this house, but I worry about the costs of fabricating.


    Dina thanked suseyb
  • 7 years ago

    Was it very cost effective to reuse the granite?

  • 7 years ago

    It was when we were getting so much done. Our home had flooded, and we had them do the kitchen and bathrooms, and then we also had them put granite into a rental house. So yeah, it was cost effective while we were doing a bunch of stuff. I will have to get quotes on fabricating my own pieces vs buying scraps to do our current bathrooms.

  • 7 years ago
    We were able to ask our stone yard guy to use existing granite about 10 years ago in a kitchen. It wasn’t even quality granite. He did an amazing job. The extra from the peninsula was used in a laundry room. It was much better than taking it to a landfill.