everything_purple

Trim ornamental grass?

everything_purple
April 9, 2019

Can you trim ornamental grasses?

i have what I believe is liriope and it is growing over its garden bed. I enjoy the purple flowers but I don’t love the scraggly grass around it, so can I trim it in someway?

Can I just cut the part going over the bed?

Close up of the flowers

Not liriope....that's the foliage from Muscari, grape hyacinths. They are a spreading (sometimes very vigorously) spring flowering bulb and need all that foliage in place to recharge the bulbs and provide next spring's flowers. It will brown and die off naturally in time....usually 4-6 weeks after the flowers are done.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

that is what they are ...

dont bother trying to get rid of them ... lol... you will never dig them all up ... and you will probably leave a trail of tiny bulbs which will grow where ever they hit the ground.. lol ...

btw .. if you could get a fistful of flowers... the scent would be sublime ...

some peeps spread them in the lawn for naturalizing ...

ken

• buyorsell888

At least those nasty floppy leaves are flowing down your lawn border instead of smothering your iris and other perennials like they do at my house....I freaking hate them. Can't get rid of them. They sprout from the tiniest bulbs and seeds.