Software
Houzz Logo Print
greenjean2

Another POA killer?

7 years ago

Sorry but I'm a roll about POA and hope someone has some experience with Ortho Nutsedge Killer. Not so much for Nutsedge (which I also have, but too soon to worry now), but as you can see by the picture on the bottle, it claims to also kill POA ANNUA. The active ingredient is Sulfentrazone. So who knows what other name this chemical might go by ?,,,,,These companies have many names for the same thing... Does anyone have experience with this? thanks in advance !



Comments (9)

  • 7 years ago

    Gotta love it....marketing to us unsuspecting lawn nerds ! thanks for sharing your research.

  • 7 years ago

    That was one isolated paper that published those results.....in Arizona. Various other sources DO recommend sulfentrazone for control of Poa annua as well as assorted broadleaved lawn weeds (in addition to the sedges) so may work differently in different locales. And sulfosulfuron may be more effective against the Poa, as well as addressing the sedges.

    btw sulfentrazone is a chemical compound and doesn't go by any other chemical names although like most herbicides, it is sold under a variety of tradenames.

    greenjean2 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 7 years ago

    Various other sources DO recommend sulfentrazone for control of Poa annua


    I use sulfentrazone regularly for nutsedge control and it does absolutely nothing to control Poa.

    I think the OP bought an older bottle, they took Poa A off the label quite a while back. The most current label makes no mention of Poa A control.


    well as assorted broadleaved lawn weeds (in addition to the sedges) so may work differently in different locales

    It's not a matter of working differently in different locales, sulfentrazone has always controlled a variety of broadleaf weeds in addition to sedges and they are (and have been) listed on the label.


    greenjean2 thanked lawniac
  • 7 years ago

    Lawniac...this bottle is from last year, so right you are ! I just checked on the Ortho website and they did indeed remove mention of Poa Annua from the label. Those buggers ! One thing I did notice is that it seems to turn the Poa more yellow so its easier to hunt down and either dig up or kill with glyphosate.....


    I'm gonna submit another question about the right set of steps to rid my lawn of this stuff.....I'd love to get multiple inputs...stay tuned ! Thanks to all !

  • 7 years ago

    Well, the answer is simple, I don't know that you need a separate question. You will need to apply pre-emergent before it germinates. Prodiamine works really well on Poa A.

    greenjean2 thanked lawniac
  • 7 years ago

    Is Prodiamine a granule or liquid? Is it something Mrs Homeowner can readily find locally under a brand name? or does it need to be acquired online?

  • 7 years ago

    Check your local SiteOne, they should have a spreadable granular prodiamine.

    greenjean2 thanked lawniac
  • 7 years ago

    It kinda works on poa. I use sulfentrazone almost exclusively these days for all my weeds. Crabgrass, nutsedge, sandburs, poa, no matter which season they pop up. I would use a poa specific product if that were my most common weed, but its it's just a minor nuisance in my climate. Houston gets so hot it burns off

    greenjean2 thanked reeljake