Software
Houzz Logo Print
gargigg

closet light options

7 years ago
When we moved into our new apartment, I “invested” in custom closets for my bedroom walk-in and I LOVE it! But... this is the overhead light. Turns on/off with the pull string. I cannot change the electrical, but ya there some way to make this a little more glam? A type of shade or chandelier that would cover it?

Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago
    Is that extension cord needed? or powering something? you can replace the pull chain setup easily enough with a "bowl" or "dome" one but you would want a switch. find out where the conduit or romex goes from the box and with that information you can get an electrician to splice in an outlet. should be a quick call for a licensed electrician.
  • 7 years ago
    It is connected to a power cord. Not sure what is needed and what is not. The router and phone line is connected around that power cord too.
  • 7 years ago

    Get a motion sensor to trigger the bulb. Get rid of that pull. Look at X-10 for a cheap solution.

  • 7 years ago

    "It is connected to a power cord."

    Is the lamp powered by the cord in the picture?

    OR

    Is the lamp attached to and powered from an electrical box in the ceiling and the cord in the picture plugged into the lamp?

    "The router and phone line is connected around that power cord too."

    What does "around that power cord mean"?

    Where does the cord in the picture go? What does it attach to? What is attached to it?

  • 7 years ago
    Not sure when if u are in US but there is all state standard for wiring this NOT up to any code it’s a fire hazard also there is a required clearance from light fixture to items closet you need a licensed electrician
  • 7 years ago
    Lawrence, I think the light is hardwired (the other closet has similar light socket but nothing plugged into it) and the extension plug is attached to it (for router/phone). But I do have an electrician working in another part of my apt right now so will ask him to look at it.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Get a new light fixture that light is totally inadequate for a closet and who the heck did custom closets without addressing the lighting.

  • 7 years ago
    To be fair, the closet company only designed the storage area (which is all I asked). They did an amazing job. The closet is walk-in but not huge, so that one light bulb dies adequately light the space. Just want something that looks nicer.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    That my friend is illegal wiring. PERIOD. I'm actually in shock that someone did this. this is not anything to leave and clip a shade onto or replace. from what i can see they took of the area on the plug that the prongs would go into and direct wired it to the lamp by feeding the wires out one of the mounting holes...............serious fire hazard. especially if you forget to turn off that light switch and those wires are exposed to the heat of what appears to be a standard light bulb.

    IM NOT KIDDING. THIS IS NOT 1891 AND WE HAVE LEARNED THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

    if you needed to use a plug, than an out let should have been added THIS IS JERRY RIGGED.

    WORRY MORE ABOUT RESOLVING THIS.

    Your electrician will tell you, if he is any sort of real problem.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow Fire waiting to happen - and your custom designed closet will be up in flames.

  • 7 years ago
    I will definitely have electrician look at it. If I unplug the cord that is attached, the light still works. I think that is hardwired.
    It’s possible router plugged into the power strip may not work. But will rectify either way
  • 7 years ago

    Yeah....I have a light fixture with an outlet, it's from 1968 and I have never used it. Are you saying there is a power strip plugged into it? You can't run extension cords through walls, totally illegal.

  • 7 years ago

    OHHHHHHHHHHHH i see now the extension cord is plugged into the socket on the side. ok fine. so I would invest in a longer cord that can be tacked up and away from the light bulb itself. BUT i would also ask the electrician to look and see if he can add you an actual outlet ..

    because unless you do this really is the only light you can have and you don't want to add a shade to it because that would defeat the purpose.

  • 7 years ago

    No, she shouldn't invest in a longer cord. You cannot run an extension cord through a wall. The end of that plug looks like it was a 3 prong and someone cut the ground plug. It's not even plugged in all of the way because it doesn't fit.

  • 7 years ago

    Since it's in a closet, you might just want to get a simple LED ceiling mounted fixture such as the Halo BLD 4" or Halo BLD 6". These mount flush to the ceiling but are not recessed. You should be able to remove the old fixture and replace it with one of these. Read the installation instructions linked to the product web page to determine whether its feasible.

    These fixtures have selectable color temperature. That means that you can adjust the warmth of the light, for example, to make sure clothes colors look correct.

  • 7 years ago

    Is this a rental apartment? If so, perhaps you should contact the Super to have them check this out for you.

  • 7 years ago

    Just FYI, the power cord does have a 3 prong plug and nothing was cut off. The lamp socket is made for a 3 prong plug and it just looks loose but it does fit flush. I realize that doesn't mean this is the best set up but just wanted to clarify. We recently moved in. I will ask the electrician to look at it. Our router is connected there, but perhaps there is a better place for it (though I think it's there because our phone line is; I'm not sure how all that works).

  • 7 years ago

    Good thing about the 3 prong, but for your safety, you really shouldn't be using this set-up.

  • 7 years ago

    I got these from Costco here in Canada and they are awesome! They come on when you open your closet, off when you close them. they stick on and are LED and rechargeable. Here are the same ones on Amazon.


    https://www.amazon.ca/Luminus-Automatic-Drawer-Cabinet-Lights/dp/B07J5GWBHN


    I am going to put some on our new kitchen cabinets for the dark corner base cabinets after they are installed...