FIND PROFESSIONALS
preetis3

Counters for white kitchen

preetis3

Im doing a white kitchen with all white cabinets and white subway tile backsplash. For my perimeter counter I'm using Cambria Carrick, I need help with my island counter...4 options, Cambria Ella, Tourquay, Newport, or Swanbridge. Designer was recommending Newport, but I don't love it.

Suggestions please. Pics below

Here is the newport on the left and carrick in the middle

Here is the Newport on the bottom left and Ella on the bottom right.

Suggestions please?

Thanks again

Beth H. :

the newport or ella could work.

what about Aria?

Brittanica Gold?

Roxwell

Torquay

are those your cabinet doors? with that 'thing' in the middle? I've never seen that. are you doing hardware?

• km kane
    Walnut. You need some wood tones. Get a walnut island top

which color of granite counter for off white kitchen cabinets?

I agree with Dytecture that your current neutral palette leaves you with lots of options for the countertop color(s). We chose to do dark countertops in a similar situation (ivory cabinets and backsplash, medium-light wood floors) and really love the contrast. But when I look at white and ivory kitchens on Houzz I see lots of tone on tone ones I like just as much. So why don't you browse through the white kitchens on house to see if you are more attracted to the ones with light counters, dark ones, or something in between? It's nice to have choices!

Counter stools

I like stool number one or second choice light neutrals. Both look great. Love love the cabinetry. Is that Ann Sacks backsplash - great choice! The floors are fine...I prefer hardwood unless you are eventually going for Italian villa style...but honestly they are fine!

help needed w/ backsplash/quartz counter color for white kitchen

i can't decide which quartz countertop with matching backsplash to go with a shaker white kitchen. please vote on these photos below to help me decide!! thank you!!

Help picking MSI quartz counter for white kitchen

I think you should wait to get the backsplash until after the counters are installed. Lighting in your own home is very different from a store/warehouse so the counters may look very different in your house than on a slab. Also, tile looks different in your house than in a store so I would definitely wait. You really need to see how the counters, cabinets and tile all work together in your actual space. That said, I don't mind quartz. I don't think granite or quartzite is for everyone. Some people don't like the movement of granite- it's too busy. I've worked with people who hate the veining of granite. I've worked with people who couldn't handle the "randomness" of granite and much preferred the consistency of the quartz. Too each their own. I would just suggest that you do some research on what quartz you are using because not every quartz is the same. For example, Cambria is a USA company. They are in MN. They own their own mines. Their material is 97% quartz. I've had it in my kitchen for 10 years and there's not a scratch or stain. It looks almost like it did when I installed it. However MSI doesn't list how much quartz is in their product and I know some of their "marble looking" materials do stain and scratch. Just my 2cents... good luck!
    Beth H. :

km,,she wants a white kitchen. if she wanted a butcher block, she would opt for one. She has wood flooring.

JAN MOYER

Nice below.........if that is your door and drawer style? Mmmmmmm no. Too much GOO. Simplify please : ) The more detail you add to moderate and lower priced cabinetry? Just don't. They will scream just that. Sorry.....please simplify if at all possible.

• pink_peony

Is this your old cabinetry you are having refinished white? If it isnt I would really think Long and hard about that selection. I think you need more movement in your counter top selection. Everything is going to look very flat with the options you are showing us. Have you considered Calcutta Gold for the island? It would really compilent your floors.

• shead

Why would it be so bad to use the Carrick for the island as well? Personally, I don't like white on white that much because there's too much of a chance that one will look dingy next to the other or bring out unwanted undertones. And I agree with Jan about the door style. If these aren't existing cabinets, please go simpler. That style reminds me of the cheap thermofoil vanity cabinets you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Flo Mangan
    Trying to match whites in different materials is very difficult and generally fails. I would simplify much more. Simple lines for white uppers (wait on selecting backsplash until you get white cabinets in) a blue/gray lower cabinet color to work with flooring and all countertops same. What style is the overall home?
  • preetis3
    Sorry those are not the cabinets, I just used that for color.

We’re using these cabinets in white.
  • preetis3
    We’re building with a large builder so don’t have the option of putting one thing in at a time.

I’m trying to get the modern farmhouse look, and really wanted a white counter for black pendants over the island.

So lost!
  • pink_peony

Deep breaths. When do your selections need to be finalized by? I assume you are going to a design center for the builder to choose these? So when you say Designer you mean the Lennar (place any large builder here) sales person.

So we now know:

1. you have white shaker cabinets. That is a good thing!

2. Your flooring is warm and pretty.

3. You want a White Island with black pendents for a modern farmhouse look........So this is where you stop me in my tracks.....Why then are you choosing these counters? Is there no white selection? Did the "designer" only give you these options?

These are the questions that would help everyone here

1. Do you have a picture of the space? A floor plan so we can see the size of the kitchen

2. have you chosen a paint color yet? If not what options do you have there?

3. Have you chosen your black pendent lighting? If so do you have a picture of that?

4. What about hardware? Drawer/door pulls and knobs? Faucets?

5. Are you happy with the white subway backsplash? Why was the backsplash chosen before the counters?

• preetis3
    Thank you pink peony.

So that little white slab in The pictures is what the Design Center, Designer chose and thought would be best. It is Newport from Cambria. I am not convinced I like it. We chose the backsplash based on that and the perimeter counter, which is the grey.
    Selections have to be completed by the end of the month

Here are a couple of photos of the model home that is the same floor plan as ours
  • preetis3
    Here is an inspiration photo I love. These are the pendants I plan on using over the island
  • AboutToGetDusty

Preetis3, if I were you, I would ask to bring a sample door (in the color white you chose) with samples of countertops, and bring them into the model home and look at them in the natural light (I'm assuming the model home is in the same neighborhood as your home?) What are the colors of the cabinetry and counters in the model home? Do you like them in person?

• kariyava

Newport looks to be the same color white as your cabinets, and also looks like your inspiration picture -- what don't you like about it?

From your picture, the white in Ella does not seem to play nicely with the white in your cabinets.

If I were you, I would choose Newport for all the counters (island and perimeter) for an all white kitchen (which you can pull off because of those beautiful floors) and use black and wood accents for your farmhouse look (very much like your inspiration picture).

preetis3 thanked kariyava
  • mark_rachel

I love the Aria. I think that would look stunning!

• preetis3
    How about tourquay for the island with Carrick perimeter?
  • pink_peony

The inspiration photo you show appears to have solid white quart counters. Have you considered a solid white counter? Is there a reason you are placing gray counters on the perimeter?

• calidesign

Newport, Ella, and Torquay could all work, at least in these photos. Trust your judgement when you see the sample with your cabinet sample in your light. If your lighting isn't in yet, check the colors in daylight.

• preetis3
    I am thinking the gray for the perimeter, and Tourquay for the island. Photo below. Thoughts?
    Flo Mangan

What I don't like about Tourquay is all the little gray specs. I like London Sky better and it is more natural looking. Not sure that is among your choices.

• preetis3
    Sorry I didn’t realize I had already posted that, crazy day.

The reason I was thinking of doing grey for the perimeter is because it’s hard to match 3 whites (backsplash, counter and cabinets), and I wanted white for the island because I thought the black pendants would pop better over a white counter.

I prefer a plain perimeter and something really subtle yet pretty for the island

My husband prefers the Britannica for the island, I think that may get busy. If I did the Britannica for the island, I would probably stick with a white-ish perimeter, like torquay
  • preetis3
    London sky is gorgeous!! Not one of the options, I’m almost considering getting a standard counter, and switching it out after we close
    Flo Mangan

If you use Britannica, use for island assuming it isn't jumbo island. The veining is wide and large and impossible to seam properly for peripheral countertops. With the Britannica, go with a gray for peripherals. It would work with white cabinets and white backsplash. Perhaps you could get standard gray and then just change out the island for the London Sky. That would work.

JAN MOYER

You don't want a total plain on the island. And DON'T mix two different faux marble looks either. Not even one that looks like "fairy dust" veining: ) Your pendants will "pop" over any counter top

Note: Make certain you know which "London Sky" you are talking about. the original was a Zodiaq quartz. Now it is a Corian quartz. Not the same................quite different in fact.

• preetis3
    Ok Jan, so is that gray counter ok with torquay or britannica?
    Flo Mangan
    Jan is correct on London Sky. Corian bought out Zodiac. Zodiac did produce London Sky. I wonder if there is stock of zodiac London Sky somewhere because it was very popular.
  • preetis3
    The lady at the design center kept insisting britannica isn’t ‘farmhouse’. At this point island is going to be britannica or torquay.
    Flo Mangan
    Pree-i think Tourquay is more in line with modern farmhouse look. Brittannica is seen more in contemporary kitchens.
  • Markhamgirl
    I have Torquay in my kitchen, both on the island and perimeter and love it. Since the Britannica has such strong veining, I would worry that your island sink cutout would interrupt the pattern in an unpleasant way. Something to consider...
  • preetis3

I'm thinking the same thing now Flo. Do you think Carrick would be ok with it as the perimeter? Or should I look for a flat gray?

Markham girl...good thinking, didn't think about that!

• preetis3

Kariyava - Id love to do this, but I'm just worried I won't do it right, and the kitchen will look blah and too white. I'm trying to find a local designer to help me, but having issues coming up with the right fit.

Flo Mangan

preetis - as to your question on Carrick quartz, I think it will have a "net impression" of a solid color, but be a bit easier to take care of than a totally solid gray.

Flo Mangan

For quick reference. While this is a bit "mottled" the "overall net impression" (what the visual perception is from about 8' away) is a solid gray tone.

• preetis3
    Thanks so much Flo! You’ve been a big help. I think I’ve decided on britannica for the island, Carrick perimeter, white cabinets and backsplash! Phew!
    JAN MOYER

@ preetis

Carrick on primeter,and the Aria is better on the Island for your "look" The Brittanica feels more glam than farm, mostly due to much stronger and bolder veining. : ) It feels more modern /contemporary, than farm. By a lot.

• preetis3
    Aria isn’t an option
    JAN MOYER

Okay fine. So it's a very modern "farm". Do Torquay. Unless you want a very much more modern feel.

• preetis3
    I was leaning towards torquay too, my husband really wanted the Birtannica. This was his attempt at showing me at can be farmhouse.
  • preetis3
    Jan, my deadline got pushed until Monday. What are your thoughts on Ella instead of britannica on the island?
  • Chessie

I don't care for Brittanica - it has a very "contrived" appearance. I much prefer the Aria...but I don't even see that on the Cambria website so not sure where that came from. I would choose Ella over Brittanica.

• calidesign

Agree. Ella over Brittanica.

• Daniela

@preetis3 - I was also contemplating the Brittanica on my island, and Carrick on the perimeter counters. I decided it might be too bold for me, and went with Swanbridge on the island and the Carrick on the perimeter. We also used Swanbridge as our backsplash.

It is really beautiful together. I loved Torquay, but my husband did not like the specks in it, which Swanbridge does not have.

• preetis3

Ha! Same here, I decided on Ella on the island and Carrick on the perimeter. House isn’t done yet, but will post once available

• Laken

I have Ella with white cabinets, a white subway style backsplash & floors similar to you colors. I LOVE the Ella! It’s my favorite part of the kitchen. I did add farmhouse shelving over our peninsula to bring some wood/warmth into the room.

• baweiss55

I like the choices you made - the gray perimeter and the white with gray veining on the island. I think it will be stunning with the black pendants. I have a new house too with very similar white cabinets. I went with a gray subway backsplash & and granite.