Software
Houzz Logo Print
calastra

decor dilemma it lack drama and sophistication how can I get that

7 years ago

I want a glamour room what am I doing wrong

Comments (56)

  • 7 years ago
    thanks for your comments appreciate it very much I couldn't find a bigger rug do in thinking of buying another and add it to the one I have. I know something is of but I just can't put my hands on it. the black leather set I have to work with it. it's not in my budget to change and my husband likes them
  • 7 years ago
    Take all accessories, window treatment out of the room and starting adding back in a little at a time because there is way too much going.
    Also, find pictures of what looks glamourous to you to help define your style.
    I, too, think the rug is too small and over the top.
  • 7 years ago

    To start, I would open the drapes at the top, move the sofa so tge back is not to a doorway. Maybe rotate the rug.

  • 7 years ago

    Nothing in that room screams "glamor" if glam is indeed what you're going for. The furniture is bulky leather; there are basically just 2 colors (gray & purple); the decor is not glamorous & neither is the art work. Speaking of art work, it look like random pieces with no connection hung wherever. Look up photos of glam rooms in Houzz & you'll get some ideas.

  • 7 years ago
    How about adding some low lighting? A cool arc lamp and modern table lamps or up lights on the floor.
  • 7 years ago
    the entrance is at the top of the pick the couch back is towards the dining room
  • 7 years ago
    You may want to warm things up a bit by replacing the loveseat with one in velvet or a similar softer looking fabric.
  • 7 years ago
    And maybe change the mirror to a frameless one with no panes and no black. It will make things sparkle
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would go with warm colors.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Chanel said that "elegance is refusal" . My belief is that sophisticated glamour is also achieved with strict editing. Take all the decor and art out of the room. Take down everything that is hanging on the walls. Then post pics if you like. Get the furniture arrangement right before you put anything back. Is that craftsman sofa (?) staying? All the assorted swirly bits? I would not be buying a new rug or anything else just yet.


    Stop shopping and buying without a plan.

  • 7 years ago

    this is the look I had before

  • 7 years ago

    First, purple is generally more of a bedroom color, so I suggest you focus on a glam master bedroom. Second, you've overdone the accessories. The manly black seating can stay here and you can design a new look for this room. I would begin by removing everything purple; take it to the master. Sell the wood mission sofa on Craig's List. Take down everything on the walls; lay it on the dining table or prop art against the dining room walls for now. Go back and remove all the table top accessories to the dining table. Can we see a better shot of the big shelving unit and its contents? You have plenty to decorate with, but it is just too concentrated. As for this room, put the largest sofa in front of the two windows where the little bench and black pillow are. If your hubby likes the art with the lady, hang that 5" above the sofa back. Place the coffee table 18" or less from the sofa. Move the loveseat to make an "L" with the sofa at the end opposite the dining room. Corner the chair at the corner left of the entry to the dining room. No rugs here yet. We'll add color starting with a rug, but you might let your husband help pick one that has some of his favorite colors in it. It needs to be at least 2 feet wider than your largest sofa. Take photos of the master and let's see how to glam it up with this purple!

  • 7 years ago
    Following .
  • 7 years ago
    was thinking of white curtains with black stripes
  • 7 years ago

    this is where we have the mission style sofa on the opposite side. our media area

  • 7 years ago
    if I move out the mission style sofa I will need to bring in extra seating it will be too sparse
  • 7 years ago

    Your room is doing double-duty as a conversation area with sofa+love seat+chair, and a separate area for TV viewing. A cosy, comfortable room is the opposite of a sophisticated room. Your room has a lot of cosy, comfortable things in it - lots of small decor items, lots of pillows, three throws. You have 2 coffee tables, which is a lot for a small room. But both of them also have a flower arrangement plus several complicated decor arrangements of decor items on top of stacked books. Too much.

    As a start, I would remove all the candles, vases and small decorative photos from the room. Remove half the wall art. Small walls can be bare. Remove the green and purple throws.

    Also, let your drapes hang down straight instead of being swagged back. The swag look has not been in style for some time.

  • 7 years ago

    How many people normally watch TV on the mission sofa? Is that an aquarium on the bottom?

  • 7 years ago
    Rug is too small and too bland. An oriental adds lots of colour that can then be picked up in things like drapes, cushions, lamps. Art needs to be bigger to stand up to all that very heavy furniture. The whole space is a group of individual items rather than a co-ordinated items.
  • 7 years ago
    Yes it is with no fish just my husband and i
  • 7 years ago
    Following
  • 7 years ago

    What that room needs is a dimmer!!!

    Oh, and about 100 fewer freaking pillows.

  • 7 years ago
    You can certainly do glam with darker furniture but you have to mix your metals

    Ashbourne 1-Light Wall Sconce, Polished Chrome · More Info
  • 7 years ago
    Can you please provide the dimensions of your room? Your seating is wrong. You need to place the dark sofa underneath the longer wall with the mirror and the love seats or chairs together facing the dining room.
  • 7 years ago

    Don't be discouraged. You don't have to start over and can use white/silver/purple if you like those colors. I like the incorporation of the mirror and glass. The room may not have the feel you want because it is over-done and too matched. If you look carefully at photos of rooms you like, you will find a variety of textures, and variation of colors, even within a limited palette. You've gotten some good advice here to remove all your accessories, and then very judiciously add back one or two. You need to simplify the room. Take a photo of the room with just the furniture without the accessories and look at it. That sometimes helps you see things more clearly. Let the drapes hang naturally rather than using tiebacks, and try incorporating a green plant instead of all the hard metal.

  • 7 years ago
    I think if you warm it up a bit that it will feel more glamorous. You have a great start and I might try spray painting the metal on your glass top tables with a warmer tone. Maybe a brass color? Also plants and baskets and wood elements have a way of warming up a space. All of these things can be glamorous. When I think of glamour I think of comfort and softness.
  • 7 years ago
    Also, with the mirror I would do one or two things differently. One option is to paint the black framing color of the mirror with a lighter, and possibly warmer tone. White is the easy choice and would make it less heavy on the wall. The other option is to position the mirror, if possible lower and above a table with a lamp and whatever vignette you like. The mirror will reflect the light and and add a bit of shine and sparkle to whatever else you put on the table that has a reflective surface.
  • 7 years ago
    Actually, I would definitely paint it white if possible and put it above the table.
  • 7 years ago

    following

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Kristinhallett up above has some great inspiration photos. You need to subtract, not add. Get rid of scrolly items, furnishings, all that purple etc. Use black and white abstract pillows in luxurious materials to get a more sophisticated look. Change out the purple drapes to white or silver silk straight hanging fabrics.

  • 7 years ago
    I like the colors but it kind of feels like they are competing because there is an overall heaviness going on due to the intensity of purple and the fact that there is so much black. I love black but I think the black leather furniture has such a presence in the room that you would not want add much more black. I agree with others who said to open curtains at the top and pull them back a bit. The vertical will be more pleasing to the eye. That being said, the horizontal on the white sheers is a bit busy. If you have a plain white sheer that you can use that might be better. The horizontal lines make the curtains feel overpowering.
  • 7 years ago
    Too much furniture and accessories, too much purple. Start by changing the window treatments to something more neutral and taking out about half of the decorative accessories.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I agree about way too many accessories. I also think the furniture is very dark against the white walls I would paint the walls a little darker gray. Take out the purple (which is way too much of a contrast against the white and dark furniture) and maybe accent with a light blush color instead. Also please remove all fake flowers and replace with some greenery. Bringing actual living plants into any space will immediately give the space “life”.

  • 7 years ago

    Okay, you have to live with the black leather, which isn't exactly glamorous. But kristin hallet up above shows how to do it--a sophisticated black and white palette with a few selective silvery touches. So subtract what doesn't give off that vibe. All the drapey purple everything has to go. Shimmery, straight white drapes, just on the windows, will add light and texture to the room. Go online and look for abstract black and white photos that add sensual images to your walls. Get rid of any little scrolly-type small things and go for bold images that convey sensuality and light instead. Add a larger, interesting rug in blacks, white, silver. If you add just a teeny bit of color, make it turquoise or mustard in velvet or "fur." But a little goes a long way.

    Hosta Bloom in Black and White Nature Photo, Floral Unframed Wall Art Print, 12" X 16" · More Info


    Photography, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles California, 8"x12" · More Info


    Rugs:

    Silver, Gray Rug, 4'x6' · More Info


    Tibetan Sheep Pillow White To Black · More Info


    Black and Cream Damask Floral Decorative Lumbar Pillow Cover · More Info


    Peacock Pillow, Teal Velvet Pillow · More Info



  • 7 years ago
    You have beautiful things, perhaps too much in the living area. I keep looking at that wall between living and dining, I would be tempted to paint that black. Your seating arrangement needs changing and take out the purple. Glamour seems to be lots of silver and glass, lovely home
  • 7 years ago
    Too many pillows and accessories. I also saw the swirly candle sconces first and they are reminiscent of Pier1, not glam. ZGallerie would be good inspiration if you want glam. Mix acrylic to keep furniture feeling light plus metals. Does the TV unit stay?
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, look at Zgallerie.com for inspiration, not to buy. Notice that a lot of their elegant rooms have clear pieces, silver, etc. -- no purple. Look at the kind of window treatments they have--straight--not too many pointless accessories either or scrolly, drapey things. Just immerse yourself in that site then, if you do need anything, you know what to look for at more affordable sources, including Craigslist. But you need more subtraction than addition.

  • 7 years ago

    With your warm kitchen and dining set, I think your previous version was working better than the current cool one. You have enough accessories for at least three rooms. Many of them do not play well together; particularly those on and around the TV shelf. Do you feel confidant enough to try and separate them by style? For example, the three pottery pieces would have suited your previous rendition of the room with their warm handmade, rustic, feeling. The horses (metal?) and the ceramic dinosaurs are a mis-match ( can't ID the item on the upper far left.) The silver bowl on the bottom is glam and in the cool color palette that works with purple. The three candlesticks are from yet another style vibe. I think you shop without a plan and just pick up what appeals to you at the moment without envisioning how it will work with your glam theme. As for not having enough seating for two of you without the mission sofa, I think you are just used to it, and maybe you find it to be the most comfortable seat for watching TV, but it is helping clutter up the room visually and certainly is a misfit for the glam vibe. TV on a swivel base will be adjustable for you to watch from the large sofa in front of the two windows.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Glamour has it's limits. There is "glam" and then if you push it too far you can end up in "bordello" Be careful.


    This is GLAM








    This is BORDELLO

    .



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Begin by getting the layout correct for the room. I'm not sure that has been accomplished. I would say that the wood frame sofa doesn't work in this room.

    When you have a sofa, a loveseat and a lounge chair, there is only one layout for those three pieces.




  • 7 years ago
    Thanks Beverly that’s the layout I meant to suggest
  • 7 years ago

    Why the angled rug placement, instead of squared under the 3 seating pieces?


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Once more, Beverly is on track with my suggestion; I just don't have the resources or patience or the cooperation of Houzz itself to illustrate it so well. Try it; if you don't like it you can arrange it another way. If you'd like a separate reading corner, you can move the chair to the corner where she shows a plant.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    partim, sometimes when the rug is on the small side, you can treat it as if it were an animal hide and place it on an angle which will visually have the rug take up more visual space and not have it follow all the typical rules about rug size and placement.







  • 7 years ago
    thanks to all of you for your comments will certainly take them into consideration when I'm changing my decor scheme within the next year God spare life. . the sheer curtain is a silver grey and the color of the walls it's a very light grey closer to white but it's a grey..the purple gives the room a calming feel though.
  • 7 years ago
    Will send next photo of some adjustments soon. thanks again
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Found this living room for an inspiration

    Leach Residence · More Info


  • 7 years ago
    thanks again love this inspiration pic will try it
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations