Software
Houzz Logo Print
aandvmontanti

Kitchen reno: soap dispensors in granite at sink?

7 years ago

I am putting a 32 inch undermount sink in Delicatos White granite and like the idea of putting in TWO soap dispensors from Delta - 1st for dish soap and the 2nd for hand soap. I envision it as a plan to decrease the clutter on the counter with a "suite" of fixtures...(1) reverse osmosis water faucet, (2) main faucet and then two soap dispensers on the right. I am looking for feedback on the ease of use and durability of soap dispensors and design input before I decide this weekend.

Comments (30)

  • 7 years ago

    It's a great idea, in theory. Someone else may have had a better experience. But every dispenser I've had never really worked that well. And, you had to crawl under the sink to pull it out to refill it (that may have changed since I last used one). You might be better off to decant your soaps into decorative dispensers - that's what I do.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    ^^some misinformation there. Almost all sink soap dispensers are filled from the top (for last 10 years or so). I’ve had soap dispensers at the sink in different homes for 15 years with no problem. If you buy quality they should work fine. I have an Elkay now, and had a Grohe before, but there are many others. On occasion, the dispenser gets clogged. It’s a 3-minute fix - fill your tallest glass with hottest tap water, place glass in sink, then put pump into the glass of hot water, and pump until water comes out clear. Your soap dispenser will be unclogged. It behooves you not to use the thickened gummy-style dish soap; better to use thinner kinds like Seventh Generation.

    I also don’t think having a “forest” of fixtures lined up at your sink looks good.

    Also don’t forget an air switch for your disposal.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they absolutely look FINE when you keep them full, and rinse off the bottle as you clean uo the kitchen. I guesstimate this takes roughly twenty seconds : ) as you clean up the kitchen days end.

    You keep two refillers under the sink. Piece of cake in my book. PS YOU UNSCREW THE TOP AND SQUEEEEEZE IT IN:: )?? lol If that's too much trouble? Wash your hands with dish soap. Soap......is soap.

  • 7 years ago

    I love my counter top soap dispensers but 2 might be confusing. If only you will be able to remember which is which, just wash your hands with dish soap?

  • 7 years ago
    The way you have planed has 5 things lined up, permanently. Two faucets, two soap dispensers and likely an air gap. Just use decorative soap dispensers and put them under the sink to clear clutter when needed. The bolder you go size wise, the less likely for tip overs and drips are overestimated.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Obviously you are all newbies here ... or you would have told the OP about NeverMT, a classic GardenWeb recommendation.

    I have 2 in-counter dispenser (but 1 in each sink) and they work great, add a NeverMT under the sink with a Costco sized bottle and you might "never" have to fill it up.

    I keep hand soap in mine. I have a deep main sink so I keep a small bottle of Dawn in the sink, that I refill from the larger Costco bottle stored under the sink.

  • 7 years ago

    I recently got this from Container Store, and while it isn't super decorative, it is functional and low profile. The design means you aren't pressing down on the nozzle so much as pinching it between thumb and index finger.


    https://www.containerstore.com/s/casabella-sink-sider-duo-soap-dispenser/d?productId=11007541&q=Soap%20dispenser


    I do think having multiple dispensers mounted in a counter would be difficult without some kind of signage to tell guests which is which. Two clear ones on top of the counter makes it easier (at least if you love blue dawn dish soap, blue just screams dish soap).

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I don't like them. Unless one is a meticulous housekeeper and either has no children or VERY well-trained ones, it will always be a gunky mess. I have a small soap dish on the window sill above my sink. It has a bar of kitchen soap in it (helps get rid of kitchen odors on hands). My dishwashing liquid is under the sink. I do keep a wand that has a ScotchBrite pad on the end and is filled with dishwashing liquid propped up in my sink at all times. Worthy of a picture in Architectural Digest? Probably not, but they haven't called me lately. My sink is 9" deep and one cannot see it from across the room. I prefer this solution.

  • 7 years ago

    Definitely get the NeverMT for refills. I only have to change the soap bottle under the sink every 6 months.....

  • 7 years ago

    I love my soap dispensers. I had them in my last house too. They fill from the top easily. I use Ivory liquid which works as dish soap and hand soap. i would not put in two soap dispensers in one sink. So, I have been using soap dispensers for 15 yrs without any problems.


    except one.....


    in my last house, the GW gurus said make sure the fabricators place the hole close enough to the edge for the soap to go in the sink and not on the inside side of the sink. I did that. Forgot to do that in this new house and the soap hits the side of the sink. Don’t make that mistake.



  • 7 years ago

    I've had 3 and hated all of them. Ended up not using them as one broke early on and was a PITA to fill it. The other two were installed in granite and ended up just making a big mess around the rim of it. And if you have light granite, soap WILL seep into the stone and WILL discolor it. Nothing like having a blue ring of Dawn around the soap dispenser. I even installed my garbage disposal switches under the sink on a regular switch to not have so many holes drilled. I wish I'd had NONE drilled except for the faucet.

  • 7 years ago

    definitely following this one :) All good points in my opinion and have to say I've experienced the good and the bad of each option. Would not put in 2 soap dispensers though; dish soap under sink. Whether you have it put in the granite, or on top of counter, my only suggestion is to be certain you have a quality container/pump. That seems to make the difference in my experience. More trial and error I'm afraid.

  • 7 years ago

    I love my in-counter dish soap dispenser, and my previous one (before reno) lasted for years with no issues. I use the Never MT as well, and I only have to "refill" (replace the huge Costco soap jug) about once every 6 months. And mine is never gunky. I do have a moveable dispenser for hand soap at the sink, and that *does* get gunky. My permanent one stays much cleaner. If you really want one, then get one, just be sure to read the reviews first. Ours is a Delta (and so was our previous one), and I made sure to get one with good reviews.

  • 7 years ago

    Chispa - thank you this is brilliant - never seen it before!


    https://www.amazon.com/Never-Mt-Soap-Dispenser-Kit/dp/B002FJ9LBS

  • 7 years ago

    I, too, have the soap dispenser, as well as an air switch in my granite, at both the prep sink and main sink. My daughter is handicapped, so loose bottles on the sink wouldn't have worked very well as she would have pulled them into the sink or shattered them against the granite while doing dishes. Now that she is living on her own, and I am doing the pots and pans, I find myself still enjoying these two suggestions (made by a member of the GardenWeb forums 10 yrs ago). I love a clean look.

  • 7 years ago

    I've used under-counter soap dispensers for 25 years. I replaced one once after it was 12 years old. They fill from the top, no problem no mess around the base. And I just bought mine from the home centers, nothing special.

    I do not understand having 2 of them though. As a great orator once said "Soap.....is soap."

    What I find missing from your list is a flush-mount air switch for the garbage disposal. Great item.

  • 7 years ago

    I would not mind having two. I have eczema on my hands and can't use dish soap to wash them. But alas, I only have one.

  • 7 years ago
    Permanent soap dispensers look cluttery and unattractive to me. Jan has the right way!
  • 7 years ago

    All those spigots start to look like a dental office to me. I buy dishsoap in a pretty container and use it for my hands too. Mrs. Meyer’s looks fine on my counter, or i can stash it in the sink or under the sink hsould i be expecting Architectural Digest to pop over for some pics.

  • 7 years ago
    I had the same idea as you and put in 2 dispensers - dish soap on left and hand soap on right. That maybe less confusing then having it right next to each other.

    It refills from top, but sometimes i end up overflowing the soap as its hard to see how much space is left.
    Haven't had any problems with the dish soap one. I should try the never mt.

    As for the hand soap dispenser, we are not using it - because my young kids couldnt reach it well enough and so we had to have a bottle of hand soap for them anyways. But hoping to use it once my kids can reach easily. Something to keep in mind if you have little kids

    Do you have a prep sink by chance? If so, maybe you could put water filter there?- so main sink is not so crowded
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I've had a soap dispenser installed in the counter for years. Never had one problem. Would do it again in any kitchen I will ever have. I don't understand the people saying the ones installed in the counter would be messier. How can they be messier than a separate bottle sitting on the counter? For the poster above who mentioned a rim always around the soap dispenser, that has never happened to me, in like 20 years. There must have been something wrong with those dispensers or the installation.

    Jan Moyer's post upthread about cleaning the bottles every day, and having them always be filled to full level is just too much work, even the extra "twenty seconds" that she claimed (not in my experience). That would be 20 seconds every day that I'd rather spend doing something else (especially since it would be more than 20 seconds).

    I would not have two though, that seems redundant. And yes to the air switch for the disposal (though I have a batch feed disposal which does not need a switch at all--a whole separate discussion off topic for this thread).

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    So how long were you on Houzz asking about them? : ) I rest my case.........................

    If all the time that went into avoiding such simple daily/weekly stuff were added together to extend a life on earth? Bet me it is ten years. At least. Drives me a bit bats at times, as you can SEE.

  • 7 years ago

    "^^some misinformation there. Almost all sink soap dispensers are filled from the top (for last 10 years or so)."


    Make that 30. I've had three dispensers. The first two lasted as long as I had the kitchen. I am on the third one, 5 years old and going strong.


  • 7 years ago

    I don't like clutter especially around the sink. IMO a matching soap dispenser is a more streamlined and cohesive look. I have had in-counter soap dispensers since 1993 and would not have it any other way. Have never had one break and there has never been a mess around ours even when our kids were little. Very easy for them to use because it is stable when they are tall enough to reach and if they drip it goes into the sink. I refill with a funnel using Soft Soap hand soap from Costco so never a clog either. Before installing the bottle under the sink, just mark a funnel at the point where it will fill your bottle without overflowing. Dish soap is easily retrieved from under the sink when needed. Wish I had drilled holes in the powder rooms too.

  • 7 years ago

    dish soap is kept under the sink and hand soap is in a dispenser by the sink.

  • 7 years ago

    If you do choose to get one (your prerogative), make sure that the hole is drilled either close enough to the edge of the sink and/or that your dispenser is long enough so that it hangs over the edge of the sink far enough to actually dispense into the sink, especially if you're using an undermount sink. And don't assume your granite fabricator knows what he's doing in that regard. Don't ask me how I know that, either ;)

  • 7 years ago

    Installed soap dispenser, Never MT to keep from having to fill so often.

  • 7 years ago

    You may not need the air gap in the counter. There is a way to run the hoses underneath with a high loop so there is no need for the extra hole. Check the installation manual of the dishwasher.