Software
Houzz Logo Print
skip1909

Which grass seed?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My lawn is a real mess and needs a renovation. The soil is damp and heavy, especially in the spring, but dries out in the summer. There are numerous large silver maples casting part shade, I have the surface roots around the trees lightly mulched and dont try to grow grass directly beneath them. I currently have a mix of black beauty tall fescue and kentucky blue grass in one area that does really well, too well actually because it grows so fast it should be mown every 5 days, and it creeps into my perennial beds. I dont want to irrigate the lawn or use preemergents long term, but will do so to get the grass established and control weeds next spring respectively. I would plan to seed this fall after some site prep like light regrading, clearing and aeration. The traffic is low, its very informal. Are there any slower growing, clumping grasses that can handle part shade and damp soil? I was looking at sheep fescue, hard fescue, and chewing fescue, but will that handle a lot of spring moisture and short bouts of winter inundation?

Comments (3)