Software
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT) "Due uomini, due arieti",....

I said to my daughter this morning coming into the house, and she agreed, laughing. While she was sitting on the sofa eating breakfast she too had heard DH and my helper arguing about who would be in charge of the heavily laden wheelbarrow which had to go down the steep road to the garden for the day's work. My phrase meant, "Two men, two rams", and referred to this typically male search for glory; in this case, who would have the honor of the hardest task, the dirtiest job. This attitude is why I like DH and my helper, not to mention quite a few other guys I've known: there are plenty of them around. My helper is approaching retirement age, is a tumor survivor (and smoker), but he works with energy, conviction, and good humor; DH is likewise a great worker, though he reached retirement age years ago and is now shooting for immortality. My helper and I spent the morning digging up roses that were doing poorly, so that they could spend some time in pots recovering before being returned to the garden in better prepared holes. He dug, I labeled and sheared the thick, tall grass, and I hope some of these roses will have better futures for all this. DH was helping with the day's task, and working on a plan of his own to contain some of our ramblers, which aren't rampant yet but show promise of becoming so. It's a most beautiful day, sunny, mildly warm, with the vegetation in its fullest spring glory. A good morning in every way.

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    I like hearing about the garden but I love the byplay between you and your daughter. Moments like that, when you just get each other are so wonderful. The memory of times like that can get me through almost anything.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm leaving Wednesday for Italy, Melissa. My only sadness is missing my Spring bloom here during my trip. I'm sure Ninfa will be worth it.

  • 7 years ago

    Oursteelers, that's so true. Sounds like you have your own very happy relationship. Sheila, have a good trip, and bring back a report! I've never seen Ninfa, just pictures.

  • 7 years ago

    Melissa, I love the way your husband has been at your side in the garden all these years, and now you've acquired another dedicated, hard working man. You must be able to cast some kind of magic spell. Perhaps you could give me long-distance lessons!

  • 7 years ago

    Ingrid, I suspect that logistics are your problem: having somone who can get to your place; and finding the right person in your circle of acquaintances, or, as I've written before, looking, for example, at the local college or university. My helper is the husband of my friend, who was my helper first; then, when she got a near-full-time job while he was unemployed, he took over. So I knew him, a little directly, more by reputation from what his wife said of him. They're both great people.

    Branching out a bit: the way you write about your husband makes me think you know a good man when you see him. I tend to like the male half of the human race, but even generally good guys can run over an overly acquiescent female. I think as a woman, it pays to be demanding, and to speak up loud and clear. I expected a lot from my husband--and was willing to reciprocate--and so I got a good partner. This runs in my family: my mother and her two sisters were intelligent, independent, opinionated woman who married late, and they all had happy marriages with excellent husbands.

  • 7 years ago

    Also I think that good guys-the REALLY good ones-don't really much care for "overly aquiescent females".Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that part of the testosterone-thingie naturally pushes a human to seek dominence-it can't be helped, it's a hormonal-based behaviour-, but a truly good man doesn't want to dominate his woman,he wants an "equals" relationship, so it makes him secretly really like it when she "stands up to him"...just a theory...

0